Jade/Breakaway passengers stuck at JFK

Sailing12Away

10 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

If NCL chose this flight for them, won’t they have to hold the ship for them or fly them to the next port on NCL’s dime?

OP, I’m rooting for you and all the others!!!!! 🤞

And that's why I think a lot of us are eager to hear back from OP and other affected pax to see how this played out and if NCL did indeed hold the ship if necessary (although we are all hoping it isn't necessary).

40 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

If NCL chose this flight for them, won’t they have to hold the ship for them or fly them to the next port on NCL’s dime?

OP, I’m rooting for you and all the others!!!!! 🤞

No. They merely “booked” the flight, similar to an agency like Expedia would when bundling airfare and cruise fare. There is no guarantee of making it to the ship on time.

NCL MAY offer to get them to the next port at no cost, but I don’t believe they have a legal obligation to do so.

Wondering if the OP made it. I suspect they did. We were on the Bliss in December and there were folks arriving by taxi at 3:45 who were allowed on. We sailed promptly at 4.

Edited by MikeBTN

8 hours ago, runner15km said:

Have a heart !  It would not inconvenience me if the cruise left port 1 hour late. Have you not been on a cruise when there was a delay for a medical emergency or a tour that was a little late in returning. 

It will cost $$$ in fuel to cruise faster and make their first port of call. Unless they are talking directly to the NCL airport agent (who don't work for NCL), then the airport folks would have no clue when they are coming in or where they are coming in. Kinda hard to hold a ship if people scheduled for transfers are just no shows at the appointed terminal baggage claims. 

The other issue is that if the airline rebooks you on another carrier, you may make the ship, but your bags won't just hop on another airline's plane, and will arrive on the next scheduled flight of your original carrier (tonight/tomorrow). 

Edited by BirdTravels

By now it’s past 7:00 EST.  If they didn’t make it, I think we would have heard.  I hope they did get on in time.  I always arrive the day prior to the cruise if it’s from the US, and two days prior if it’s from overseas. I wouldn’t want this kind of drama on sailing day.

I hope the OP and others made it on. The free air fare doesn't sound all that great- from talking to people from east coast to Seattle for Alaska cruises it was a discount and not a free flight at all. I always arrive a day earlier if by bus and a day or two earlier when flying. Too much can go wrong the day of

8 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I have read on here that for a $50.00 fee you can fly in a day early with the air perk. 

That said, good luck to those delayed today...

That is correct, we are taking advantage of the free airfare for our cruise in Feb 2020. Flying out of Toronto in Feb the day of the cruise was not going to happen. Called NCL and for a fee ($50/person) you can fly out the day before, possibly even two days prior to your cruise. You could also fly back the day after your cruise (not sure if that was another $50/person or not, being NCL i would imagine it would be).

I hope the OP made it, too.  I’ve done it both ways.....coming in the day before, and coming in the day of.  Obviously, it’s better to come in the day before.  Work sometimes gets in the way.

One thing I WILL NOT DO is fly American, ever.  They pull this kind of garbage all the time.

• Like 1

I've tried to use NFL for flights but the flight either showed as $400,000or they wouldn't let me arrive three days early for a Mediterranean cruise. RCL allows this flexibility. You also choose the carrier and day and time. NFL needs some big improvements in this area.

Edited by Markanddonna

Really hope everyone made on board! I thought if NCL booked the flight they HAD to get you to your ship - kinda like excursions booked through the ship.

22 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Hope it was worth it AA because you've got 50+ people that are now screwed. NCL is telling us if we don't make the 2pm shuttle we have to take a cab and run.

I live in the Vail area, if the flight was direct to Vail then AA definitely thinks it is worth it. Flights to the Vail airport are crazy expensive, especially this time of the year.  It is a small airport, mostly private planes and very few commercial flights. A lot easier for them to reschedule a flight to MIA than to Vail.  

• Like 1

On 2/24/2019 at 9:56 AM, Sailing12Away said:

Apparently AA had a flight going to Vail CO that didn't have a high altitude plane assigned to them. 

I have never heard of a "high altitude" aircraft. Best excuse ever for cancelling a flight if everyone believed it. 

Edited by razor7_us
Double text
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, razor7_us said:

I have never heard of a "high altitude" aircraft. Best excuse ever for cancelling a flight if everyone believed it. 

Yeah, that is pretty fishy. Most commercial planes cruise between 30,000 and 40,000 ft, and Vail has an elevation of 8000 ft, not sure what "special" airplane would be required.

I think AA was feeding them a load of bull.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, razor7_us said:

I've flown 2 million plus miles on different airlines and this is the first I've heard of a special "high altitude" plane.

I agree.  American Airlines pulls this sort of crazy garbage all the time.  I hate it when the airlines will inconvenience their passengers, who pay good money, and expecting them to just get the passengers safely to their destination reasonably close to the schedule.

Instead, they do this!

18 minutes ago, electro said:

Yeah, that is pretty fishy. Most commercial planes cruise between 30,000 and 40,000 ft, and Vail has an elevation of 8000 ft, not sure what "special" airplane would be required.

I think AA was feeding them a load of bull.

You probably shouldn’t speak on something you know nothing about.

Certain high altitude airports have higher requirements for equipment and certifications. For example, Bogota in Columbia requires pilots to have special training etc.

In the case of Vail, if the weather isn’t ideal there is a “special approach” which requires special pilot training and has higher aircraft equipment requirements.

I’m pretty sure American doesn’t take the decision to cancel or delay flights very lightly.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Certain high altitude airports have higher requirements for equipment and certifications. For example, Bogota in Columbia requires pilots to have special training etc.

In the case of Vail, if the weather isn’t ideal there is a “special approach” which requires special pilot training and has higher aircraft equipment requirements.

I’m pretty sure American doesn’t take the decision to cancel or delay flights very lightly.

If so , just exchange crews ?

Hate it when OP just disappears .

4 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

I do know that I lived in Colorado for 4 yrs and flew in and out a lot. I also know that the 2 time I flew with AA they did not get me to my destination on the same day they I was supposed to arrive both time because of their issues, not weather related and their staff was the most unhelpful of any airline I have flown so I would not be surprised if they made something up to cover there own issues.

If they didn't have the proper plane to fly to vail, why would they not cancel that flight?

1 minute ago, electro said:

I do know that I lived in Colorado for 4 yrs and flew in and out a lot. I also know that the 2 time I flew with AA they did not get me to my destination on the same day they I was supposed to arrive both time because of their issues, not weather related and their staff was the most unhelpful of any airline I have flown so I would not be surprised if they made something up to cover there own issues.

If they didn't have the proper plane to fly to vail, why would they not cancel that flight?

Because it’s much more manageable to delay a flight (Miami) then to cancel a flight to Vail (very high yields). Plus there’s limited flights to/from Vail whereas there’s a ton to Miami.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, electro said:

eah all the airlines are generally all the same, how many times have you been on a flight and hear "i will never fly this airline again", I personally am going to fly the cheapest, even frontier and spirit!!  just try to get from point a to point be with the least amount of money coming out of my wallet.

I think what is more important is for people to realize.  What if any are the obligations of NCL?  once you know this it would help you determine whether or not you should come in a day before.  Sometimes "free" will cost you a ton of money.

Edited by Newleno

I fly American constantly and for the most part have not had problems, with the exception of late afternoon on flights from Boston to Philly, which do seem to have a lateness problem.  I'm sure other airlines have the same issues.  I suspect that the problem from this thread may be due to it's easier to find another MIA flight to rebook pax onto than another Vail flight - there are boatloads of MIA flights.  Sucky and if that's the case they should have said so but all's well that ends well.

3 minutes ago, Newleno said:

eah all the airlines are generally all the same, how many times have you been on a flight and hear "i will never fly this airline again", I personally am going to fly the cheapest, even frontier and spirit!!  just try to get from point a to point be with the least amount of money coming out of my wallet

I would have said they are all the same until I flew AA.

I have flown United, South West, Air Canada, West jet, Frontier, KLM, Luftensa, air france, British airways and a few others and none were as bad as AA.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, electro said:

I have flown United, South West, Air Canada, West jet, Frontier, KLM, Luftensa, air france, British airways and a few others and none were as bad as AA.

aa worse than frontier?  have you flown on frontier lately, their seats are plastic, they literally hurt your body, your tray table is about 1/4 of the size, seats dont recline, you have to pay for a coke or water, you have to pay for an assigned seat, you have to pay for a carryon bag, they cram about 40 more people on the plane than other airlines, but i will fly them if they are the cheapest, i love cheap.

Edited by Newleno

22 minutes ago, electro said:

This is just your personal opinion as statistics say otherwise. For example, AA has the highest on-time arrival percentage into Miami out of any of the domestic network carriers.

8 hours ago, sirenitas said:

I live in the Vail area, if the flight was direct to Vail then AA definitely thinks it is worth it. Flights to the Vail airport are crazy expensive, especially this time of the year.  It is a small airport, mostly private planes and very few commercial flights. A lot easier for them to reschedule a flight to MIA than to Vail.  

I can't wait, going to the Food & Wine Festival in Vale early April!  Company is flying us out there, but flying into Denver and then driving....

On topic, I booked the free air from Newark to MIA for our cruise on Breakaway in August.  Yeah, a little hesitant to fly in the day of, but if they get us on an early enough flight, usually on United out of EWR, should be there on time.  I don't mind if I had to pay an additional $50pp to go in the day before, which would be great, since my dad lives near FLL, but then adding the cost of the hotel for Saturday night, transfers from airport/hotel, hotel/cruise terminal with 4 people, 4 bags etc, will then cost me at least an additional $500.....Unfortunately, my dad's car isn't big enough for all of us and luggage, otherwise that would be a no brainer.  Going to take my chances. Besides, when I did book, they did say that NCL would be responsible for getting me on the cruise at either theirs or the insurance's expense....

• Like 2