One Main Course

djhsolara

This $10 fee might just be available for control if need be. On Princess a few year ago they had a corkage fee policy, but they only charged it when necessary.  We were never charged a corkage fee, but another person at our table was.  She brought a bottle (sometimes 2) with her every night into the MDR.  Some people are just plain wasteful and the waitstaff can spot them. If a person orders a second entree and eats it, let them have it.  If they take only two bites, then charge them. It could be an option.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jareds_mommytoo said:

Just a little enlightenment these 2 eat totally different what might be more then enough for one definitely wont be for the other

B491BD39-7041-4179-986A-AE988EC88A3B.jpeg

At most an active teenage boy needs 3200 calories a day. That can easily be meet by the food available in board and dies not need to involve multiple entrees. There is a difference between nutritional needs and overeating. Attached is a chart that shows the needs of teenagers  based upon gender and activity levels.

https://www.eatright.org/food/nutrition/dietary-guidelines-and-myplate/how-many-calories-does-my-teen-need

• Like 1

What I find somewhat outrageous is HAL's claim that "over the years we have upgraded the menu"  which is a lot of baloney (perhaps they have also upgraded the baloney).  Like just about every mass market line, HAL has reduced both portion size and quality of products in the MDR.   The reduction of portion size might be a good thing (for our waist line) but it is a fact.  I guess if HAL is truly worried about "food waste" they could hire "food police" to make the rounds of the MDR and Lido and fine passengers who do not have a clean plate :).   I can think of several times when I have ordered two entrees (one as a starter and the 2nd as my main) because they appealed to me as the best options on the menu.  Do folks think that HAL should give me a $10 credit for not ordering a starter to offset their $10 fee for the 2nd entrée?  Or how about all the nights that DW and I skip dessert?  Should we get a "food credit" for our failure to order a dessert?   ARGH!

The new policy to charge extra for certain items in the MDR is a very disturbing trend we are seeing elsewhere in the cruise industry.  Princess has been trying this idea for some time, by adding a few extra items to their MDR menu that carry an extra charge (we have never seen anyone order those extra price items).  And Princess is not alone.  But at least on Princess the extra charges relate to special items (often items that are normally served in their Alternative Restaurant such as a better steak).

Hank

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, floridalover5623 said:

We have never sailed HAL but charging $10 for an additional course would deter me from even considering them. 

Somehow I don't believe they check each persons cabin number to keep check if they've eaten a prior meal.

I don't think that's the reason exactly. But if you opt for fixed time, you can't just decide to go for open seating for one night. It's about managing the use of the space. And things do pop up on their computers. For example, on one cruise, we had problems with breakfast service in the Pinnacle (we were in a suite and Pinnacle breakfast was a perk). We ate in the MDR the next morning, and the MDR staff didn't question us, but the Pinnacle manager called to find out why. 

9 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

What I find somewhat outrageous is HAL's claim that "over the years we have upgraded the menu"  which is a lot of baloney (perhaps they have also upgraded the baloney).  Like just about every mass market line, HAL has reduced both portion size and quality of products in the MDR.   The reduction of portion size might be a good thing (for our waist line) but it is a fact.  I guess if HAL is truly worried about "food waste" they could hire "food police" to make the rounds of the MDR and Lido and fine passengers who do not have a clean plate :).   I can think of several times when I have ordered two entrees (one as a starter and the 2nd as my main) because they appealed to me as the best options on the menu.  Do folks think that HAL should give me a $10 credit for not ordering a starter to offset their $10 fee for the 2nd entrée?  Or how about all the nights that DW and I skip dessert?  Should we get a "food credit" for our failure to order a dessert?   ARGH!

The new policy to charge extra for certain items in the MDR is a very disturbing trend we are seeing elsewhere in the cruise industry.  Princess has been trying this idea for some time, by adding a few extra items to their MDR menu that carry an extra charge (we have never seen anyone order those extra price items).  And Princess is not alone.  But at least on Princess the extra charges relate to special items (often items that are normally served in their Alternative Restaurant such as a better steak).

Hank

HAL now has upsell items on the MDR menu. Last year on the K, there was a little "tent" card on the table saying they had fresh stone crabs for an additional price. The menu now has lobster as an add-on. I don't remember if it was a tail or a whole lobster. I think it was a $20 fee.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

8 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

HAL now has upsell items on the MDR menu. Last year on the K, there was a little "tent" card on the table saying they had fresh stone crabs for an additional price. The menu now has lobster as an add-on. I don't remember if it was a tail or a whole lobster. I think it was a $20 fee.

MAINE LOBSTER

$20

BROILED WHOLE LOBSTER WITH

SOFRITO SAUCE

red mojo, black bean-coconut rice, fried

plantains, sautéed vegetables

8 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I could understand an upsell charge for Stone Crabs.  I do not recall ever seeing a whole lobster (Maine type lobster with claws) on HAL!  This would be a nice addition to the very tired Pinnacle Menu (as would Stone Crabs).

Hank

6 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

At most an active teenage boy needs 3200 calories a day. That can easily be meet by the food available in board and dies not need to involve multiple entrees. There is a difference between nutritional needs and overeating. Attached is a chart that shows the needs of teenagers  based upon gender and activity levels.

https://www.eatright.org/food/nutrition/dietary-guidelines-and-myplate/how-many-calories-does-my-teen-need

From the article you posted: Active – Engages in activity needed for daily life, plus activity equivalent to walking 3 or more miles daily, or more than 40 minutes.

Sports that require almost constant motion, many times running, require far more energy than walking three miles. Soccer players average 7 miles running per game and practices are also very intense. So while these numbers may be good for the general population, they are not for many real athletes. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

His pediatrician ( who I trust more then a generic online post) had recommend a 3900-4200 calorie diet with 20% coming from protein, he starts his day at 4:30 am with workouts ( which he keeps up on vacation) 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Gee, I wonder, if in the rare chance that they decide not to continue it, will they refund those of us who participated in the test.

Right...you bet... the Easter  Bunny will send  you a check.

3 hours ago, Hflors said:

I think the whole idea of charging people an additional $10.00 for an extra entrée is just down right tacky!    In my humble opinion the food in the dining room isn't that good to begin with.  After a couple of days on our last cruise we started eating at the Pinnacle Grill every night.  There was an additional charge, but at least the food and service were very good.  

I have been saying for some time now that I think the main dining room will be gone in the not too distant future.  I believe that the buffet will be the  "included dining area" and the rest will be the "additional charge" restaurants.    I mean really the dining room is only open for 1.5 hrs. for breakfast, for lunch it is not open at all on port days and on sea days only for 1 - 1.5 hrs., that is unless there is some function or special lunch going on.  The buffet is open almost the whole day and evening.  

I wish I could afford a more upscale cruise line, but alas Holland America is about as pricy as I can afford.   If they keep adding extra charges we will either need to stop going on cruises or find another one that doesn't.

You missed the dinners in the MDR.  I think - and hope - that your prediction does not come to fruition.  If it ever does, it will be the end of HAL for us.  We like the MDR, at least for dinner.

I applaud HAL for this test. There is significant food waste on cruises. The buffet is even worse than the MDR. Folks choose one of everything and then you walk by tables with enough food discarded to feed a family of four. It is not like anyone ever goes hungry on a cruise. If you are still hungry after a three course dinner in the MDR, you can always visit the buffet and pile your plate as high as you wish. Then, on disembarkation day, you can complain about how you put on 10 pounds, as if this somehow magically occurred. 

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, foodcruiser said:

This $10 fee might just be available for control if need be. On Princess a few year ago they had a corkage fee policy, but they only charged it when necessary.  We were never charged a corkage fee, but another person at our table was.  She brought a bottle (sometimes 2) with her every night into the MDR.  Some people are just plain wasteful and the waitstaff can spot them. If a person orders a second entree and eats it, let them have it.  If they take only two bites, then charge them. It could be an option.

Legally. however, I suspect  they would have to make it for everybody  or risk a discrimination charge.  If you have a policy it has to be for all. unless you specify who will be and who wont.    I don't think HAL  is going to touch that...   

Non issue for us.  The only time that we have had a second entre is the odd occasion when we have sent something back and asked for a replacement.  I suspect that this is the same for the vast majority of cruisers.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Those pics got me thinking. HAL has a reputation for an older crowd. For the most part, people eat less when they get to be seniors. HAL has been chasing a younger crowd. Perhaps the increased need for calories/nutrition (or simply larger appetites) in their new "target audience" is biting HAL in the food budget?

Some time ago  there was a list of how much $ cruise lines budget per passenger for food.   Prem/lux lines  it is abour $45.00 pp/pd      HAL/Princess/Celeb  the total was around $12-15 pp/pd  as I recall. for the complimentary meals   not the PAY  ones

If you have better figures please post them  these  were about 4 years old.

1 hour ago, whogo said:

I have a hearty appetite and the girth to prove it, yet I have never ordered a second main dish and have never seen anyone do so. If I shared a table with someone who ordered a second dish, I would be sure not to sit with him again. There is a point where a hearty appetite becomes gluttony and I don't want to see it.

If it is the case of a diner not being a glutton, but just wanting to try a taste of six different entrees, let him do that at the buffet, definitely not at my main dining room table.

Well put!  I am a 200+lb man with an appetite, and the few times I ordered a second entree resulted in too much food being served, considering that I am eating three complete meals a day while cruising.  I have already given up eating between meals.

I believe that HAL has found that the second entree results in food (including labor) being wasted just so someone can have a taste.

igraf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jareds_mommytoo said:

Land based restaurants have much larger portions then we see on holland America so its not an issue, he normally gets more then 4 bites of meat at a land based restaurant and im not payinh $10,672 at a land based restaurant for a week

Not following your logic, but thanks for the response. But you are not paying $10K for a week of just food either. Now you know and you can elect to go elsewhere. 

41 minutes ago, Jareds_mommytoo said:

His pediatrician ( who I trust more then a generic online post) had recommend a 3900-4200 calorie diet with 20% coming from protein, he starts his day at 4:30 am with workouts ( which he keeps up on vacation) 

Why doesn't he fill up on all the free food all day long before he gets to dinner?  Or use room service afterwards or stay up for the late buffet? Why the be all end al over a second dinner entree. Heaven help our cruise prices if they must budget for 4200 calories per day per passenger. 

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, whogo said:

I have a hearty appetite and the girth to prove it, yet I have never ordered a second main dish and have never seen anyone do so. If I shared a table with someone who ordered a second dish, I would be sure not to sit with him again. There is a point where a hearty appetite becomes gluttony and I don't want to see it.

If it is the case of a diner not being a glutton, but just wanting to try a taste of six different entrees, let him do that at the buffet, definitely not at my main dining room table.

One extra entree one time is gluttony? :classic_rolleyes:  Sorry but this whole need to make moral judgements reminds me of someone.

church lady.jpg

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, floridalover5623 said:

What'd to keep someone from leaving the DR after their first meal & returning for another course? 😄

Haven't you ever noticed that they ask your cabin number at the door? I think they'd "suggest" that you go to the Lido if you need more food.

1 hour ago, aa7yy said:

I think we need to think about the purpose for a $10 charge for a second entree. It is of course possible that HAL is trying to make more money. I have always been able to have a double portion in the past if I wanted. Will that be considered a "second entree " ? I think not, but I have seen a couple of 400 pounders sitting opposite, "cherry picking" four entrees each. I believe that is the problem HAL is trying to deal with. What is the "polite" way to deal with that ?

I understand that there are three reasons people cruise. 1) See new sites. 2) To relax, take a break, get away. 3) To eat. The $10 for a second entree will just send the abusers of type #3 to the Lido. Most of us will never notice.

The purpose is 2 fold:  decrease costs and increase revenue.  The food and beverage manager in Seattle was told to cut his costs by X %, and this is one way to get there.  This is just like every other cut/surcharge that we have seen crop up in the past 10 years. 

I take a cruise for all 3 reasons above.  I enjoy eating and trying new things and frequently order 2 main menu entre's.  Never more.  I have seen people order more than 2 though.  I am not over weight and don't eat like that at home.  I'm on vacation and this is something I've enjoyed doing on cruises for the past 30 years. 

For all of you who smugly say "no impact for me", great for you.  Eating multiple portions in the MDR at no cost has always been a cruise thing.  They budget for it and covering the cost has been included already in the prices we are being currently charged.  People doing isn't a new thing and isn't a surprise to the cruise line.  It is a vacation perk that many folks enjoy.  It isn't gluttony.

Your double portion will no doubt be considered a second entre, as well as it should.  How is it different than someone else ordering 2 different entres.

I hope they get bad survey's/feedback from this.  It's tacky, cheap, and just another cut.  

Edited by Tenderpaw
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

A second dining room already exists on the pinnacle-class ships--Club Orange. And they say the Club Orange program will spread to other ships, using an area of the MDR that will be for CO passengers only.  

Which begs the question, if the policy stays will Club Orange be included or excluded from the policy by virtue of their suite status? But again, I am racing ahead. Let's see if the policy sticks or if some reasonable compromise can be reached. I won't leave HAL over this but tack on enough stuff like this and that reasonable cruise fare isn't quite so reasonable anymore. 

Edited by fatcat04

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Cruising-along... I agree with you. When we cruised last summer and saw the menu, I called  room service. They told me exactly what you said.. fill in what you want. I did, and they were kind enough to accomodate our wishes. Funny..  I ordered 2 hard boiled eggs. I got 4.. I think they thought it was an order for 2 people. The next day, I wrote 2 hard boiled eggs ONLY! I got 4 !! Day 3, I ordered 1 hard boiled egg. I got 2! LOl.. Gotta love the language barrier! That being said, Their English is way better than my Filipino!!

Edited by JoAnnaBullhead