Sister Line testing charges for 2nd entree in MDR

jas1178

11 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

If Carnival is serious about reducing food waste and cost then they should stop serving pre-plated banquet style meals and allow us the option of ordering the presentation our way, e.g. I'd like extra greens beans and carrots and no potatoes. If you watch JH's videos he orders his dinner in the MDR as one would in a restaurant ashore just as I am suggesting. 

It's likely I wouldn't resort to a second entree if I could customize my first. 

While it would be cool to run it like a typical restaurant, I'm not sure that is even possible in the ship dining rooms.  They assembly line everything just to get thousands of meals out at a time.  Even things like steaks are not cooked to order.  So many of each temperature are available for pickup.  The only cook to order is the food allergy/special dining needs.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, rolloman said:

The trend continues to eventually eliminate the main dining room and force everyone to the buffet, hamburger, pizza lines or specialty upcharge dining. 

It's already happen for us. As a matter of fact the this past cruise the MDR hostess came up to us during breakfast in the buffet area and plane out asked us why we no longer visited the MDR. . My wife being polite explained it was just a quick getaway for us and didn't want to bother with formalities.  I personally would have stated more but the quick hand on mine begged me to hold my tongue . Still I'm a bit miffed as to how the hostess knew ? 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, rolloman said:

The trend continues to eventually eliminate the main dining room and force everyone to the buffet, hamburger, pizza lines or specialty upcharge dining. 

Nailed it. Charging for a second entree = the elimination of the MDR. Spot on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

It's been my understanding (although I've never tried it) that one can order an appetizer sized portion of an entree'.

On the Conquest in January I tried this for the first time. I had heard over the years it could be done. Nothing was listed in the menu. My server looked confused by the request but didn’t object. He was obviously newer to the head waiter position (not just in this instance). He did bring me the pasta after my other appetizer but it was the regular entree portion. Not sure if that’s just how it comes now or if he didn’t know how to submit the request. No problem from him I just hated wasting some of it because I couldn’t finish it. 

I've seen multiple people order more than one entree--especially the males I've traveled with since portions are small--and never seen them waste it. I agree with those who try a second entree as a way to try something new. I'm always encouraging my children to try new foods and this is one way that they can try it. And trust me--someone is always waiting to finish it. 

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

Nailed it. Charging for a second entree = the elimination of the MDR. Spot on.

For those of us who have been cruising for quite some time the trend is clear,  do not get hung up on a singular event, ....they have been watering down the MDR experience for quite some time now.......less thrills more dollar bills...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BoDidly said:

It's already happen for us. As a matter of fact the this past cruise the MDR hostess came up to us during breakfast in the buffet area and plane out asked us why we no longer visited the MDR. . My wife being polite explained it was just a quick getaway for us and didn't want to bother with formalities.  I personally would have stated more but the quick hand on mine begged me to hold my tongue . Still I'm a bit miffed as to how the hostess knew ? 

It is important to make sure you are satisfied and if you are blowing off the MDR (while it still exits) they make a habit of finding out why. Customer satisfaction survey still is very powerful in the cruise industry, no one can afford to take a hit.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, rolloman said:

It is important to make sure you are satisfied and if you are blowing off the MDR (while it still exits) they make a habit of finding out why. Customer satisfaction survey still is very powerful in the cruise industry, no one can afford to take a hit.

It did seem strange that they know the individual people that no longer visit the MDR by face recognition alone.

Keeping tabs on their customers and going as far as to single them out to question them as to why they no longer visit the MDR is by far to extreme for my taste.  Are they keeping records on how much shampoo is used per individual or even toilet paper for that mater. :classic_ohmy: 

4 hours ago, BoDidly said:

It did seem strange that they know the individual people that no longer visit the MDR by face recognition alone.

Keeping tabs on their customers and going as far as to single them out to question them as to why they no longer visit the MDR is by far to extreme for my taste.  Are they keeping records on how much shampoo is used per individual or even toilet paper for that mater. :classic_ohmy: 

Just wait until Ocean Medallion comes to Carnival...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Since I've never ordered a second entree' I don't see this having a big impact on me at all (I was given a second lobster tail once without asking, though). It's been my understanding (although I've never tried it) that one can order an appetizer sized portion of an entree'.

I did this on our cruise 2 weeks ago. There was no appetizer I wanted and two entrees that I couldn’t decide between so I asked for an appetizer portion of a pasta dish for my entree. 

The only other situation where I ordered a second entree was on RCCL where I got a fish dish that was gross. The waiter noticed I wasn’t eating it and asked what else he could bring me. I saw a few other people didn’t like that dish either so I wonder if the waiters were on the look out for people who weren’t eating it. I would

hope with HAL that they wouldn’t charge in that situation.

15 hours ago, Fla Mike said:

We were on the Feb 3rd Nieuw Amsterdam and did not see this at all.

Seated at an 8 top and some of our table mates ordered a 2nd entree a few nights.

None of the wait staff said a word.

Wasn't being tried out then.  It is on the menu, see attached dinner menu

Feb24dinner.pdf

I like the option of an entree served as an appetizer and also if you get a second entree, have the option to subtract the sides. The portion sizes are enough for me,  but I have a small appetite and can only handle about 8-10 ounces of food at a time. Not my husband, he can order and handle two full sized entrees, appetizer, salad and melting chocolate cake. Oh and a drink.  If they start charging for it, I would not be happy, only because I know that we like to have the option to get other things and also to try out something you might not try if that were your only dish for dinner. This truly separates cruising from other vacations for us.  

• Like 1

Best laugh of the day....saying due to upgrades of the menus....are you kidding me?...the food was so much better years ago....we rarely bother with the mdr anymore on any line as it is just adequate most of the time...certainly would not pay for a second entree...

I wouldn't like this change at all.  It is one of the things that I like about cruising.  While I don't normally order 2 entrees, I have done so a time or 2 when I wasn't sure if I was going to like something and wanted to try something new.   My son and husband are major carnivores, so they always order 2 of the flat iron steaks but all they want is the 2 steaks, not all the other stuff that comes on the plate, so I feel like that should be an option (just bring 2 entrees and not 2 fully plated meals) and could reduce food waste while still giving people that feeling that they can branch out and not be pinching pennies.

I NEVER try anything new when I go to a restaurant on land... I don't want to pay for something I might not like.  We don't eat out much, so I definitely don't want to waste a "go out to eat" night on something I don't like, so I don't try anything new.  That is a big draw for me with cruising... it is like a food adventure..,  and before everyone starts judging me.... for me that is one of the things I enjoy with cruising.  I don't drink, so I want to enjoy letting loose and eating food!    I will be unhappy if they implemented this.. but I don't know if it would stop me from cruising... I guess I could still go to the buffet and eat all I wanted, but I also don't really care for buffets. 

I wonder if this new idea will actually create more food waste.  I like to try new things too but with a charge for a second entre, if I am not loving it, I'd send it back and order something else rather than pay for the second entre.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BoDidly said:

Actually the bean counters probably do keep track of that very thing.

19 hours ago, jas1178 said:

While it would be cool to run it like a typical restaurant, I'm not sure that is even possible in the ship dining rooms.  They assembly line everything just to get thousands of meals out at a time.  Even things like steaks are not cooked to order.  So many of each temperature are available for pickup.  The only cook to order is the food allergy/special dining needs.

It can be done; other cruise lines do it. At least within the anytime dining section.

Yes, I'd think that this could be a change that comes to all cruise lines, especially the Carnival family, if it is considered a "success."  I think we all know that this change is not only for the purpose of "decreasing food wastage," which is a marketing camouflage for its actual purpose.   Clearly, the unstated but primary concern is cutting costs.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, midwestman said:

Yes, I'd think that this could be a change that comes to all cruise lines, especially the Carnival family, if it is considered a "success."  I think we all know that this change is not only for the purpose of "decreasing food wastage," which is a marketing camouflage for its actual purpose.   Clearly, the unstated but primary concern is cutting costs.

How about increasing revenue?

Roz

On 3/3/2019 at 11:37 AM, rolloman said:

I see no trends in eliminating MDR. All these thi gs are options.  Royal tries it ans if failed.... miserably

18 hours ago, 30scruiser said:

I did this on our cruise 2 weeks ago. There was no appetizer I wanted and two entrees that I couldn’t decide between so I asked for an appetizer portion of a pasta dish for my entree. 

The only other situation where I ordered a second entree was on RCCL where I got a fish dish that was gross. The waiter noticed I wasn’t eating it and asked what else he could bring me. I saw a few other people didn’t like that dish either so I wonder if the waiters were on the look out for people who weren’t eating it. I would

hope with HAL that they wouldn’t charge in that situation.

I normally just order one entrée, but there been times I order something and didn't care for the dish and will ask my wait staff to bring another entrée.  There have been times when I can't decide and will forgo a salad and or soup and have two entrees.  Hate to hear this