Grandeur Drydock

It's been reported that it's for below the water line maintenance. It's not for cosmetic reasons, but they will be doing some as needed from what I've heard.  No major changes.  We're on her 6 April.

• Clarea changed the title to Grandeur Drydock

Short dry dock, unlikely it will be any major changes.

The last time, they replaced the sun screens over the outdoor hot tubes, removed some of the equipment from the atrium for the aerial show they used to do.

They were supposedly going to replace the outdoors big screen, but did not.

Just left Grandeur today.  At the “Meal with an Officer” heard about upgrades to internet, new carpeting throughout, including the cabins and new upholstery.  Saw many contractors boarding as we left.  Grandeur is leaving the port for the Bahamas at 1:00 today.  I will be back on her 4/25 and will be interested in the changes.

That is exciting.  I am not holding my breath for cosmetic upgrades,  even though some carpet and upholstery is definitely needed.

It will be a pleasant surprise if they do put in new carpet though.

although,  the new carpet on the Adventure while trendy shows stains terribly easily.  I felt the carpet was looking prettt stained when we were in her.  Having been on it just a couple months after her drydock last August, made me realize how much I appreciate the standard busy carpet designs rather than the lighter gray with the white lattern type pattern.  

1 hour ago, Lady Hudson said:

Just left Grandeur today.  At the “Meal with an Officer” heard about upgrades to internet, new carpeting throughout, including the cabins and new upholstery.  Saw many contractors boarding as we left.  Grandeur is leaving the port for the Bahamas at 1:00 today.  I will be back on her 4/25 and will be interested in the changes.

She's still in Baltimore as of 2 pm.  I guarantee the inside work has already started.  We're back on her on 6 April.  Carpeting was also replaced with the last dry dock a couple of years ago.  That's always an ongoing project as needed.  I know there's new MDR chairs and the upholstery on the chairs in the lounges and Centrum are always in need of replacement due to heavy use.  I'm sure they'll also do any cosmetic repair work needed such as broken chairs, tables, etc.

ETA, it's 2:07 and she's pulling away from the pier.

Edited by BND

5 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

Upgrade to the internet?!?!?  Woot!!

I wouldn't take that mean anything - there hasn't been any ship upgraded to O3B in over a year and the last two much more extensive dry docks (over $100 M each) resulted in no better internet to the end user.

Just now, Biker19 said:

I wouldn't take that mean anything - there hasn't been any ship upgraded to O3B in over a year and the last two much more extensive dry docks (over $100 M each) resulted in no better internet to the end user.

I would just settle for it to work right.  The last time I used it last April, it was infuriatingly unreliable, unlike the year before.  When I was on Navigator last December, that was not O3B either, but it worked right which was probably the only reason I survived quarantine and being sick.

That was the main issue for me.  The wifi access point kept booting me and would not reconnect.  it would also kick me off when my phone went to sleep, meaning I would miss any text notifications.  I had to turn off my auto-sleep function, if i was expecting any texts, because it would not kick me, if my phone did not sleep.  Of course, it pretty much drained my battery fairly quickly.

On Navigator, I DID get text notifications from my sleeping phone, which was cool, because i was told (at least on Grandeur) that it was suppose to kick you off if it went to sleep, per the IT manager there, though I should have taken that piece of info with a grain of salt as he was clueless about other things network related.

40 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

I would just settle for it to work right.  The last time I used it last April, it was infuriatingly unreliable, unlike the year before.  When I was on Navigator last December, that was not O3B either, but it worked right which was probably the only reason I survived quarantine and being sick.

The officer did mention installing more WiFi access points.

On 3/7/2019 at 12:35 PM, rimmit said:

although,  the new carpet on the Adventure while trendy shows stains terribly easily.  I felt the carpet was looking prettt stained when we were in her.  Having been on it just a couple months after her drydock last August, made me realize how much I appreciate the standard busy carpet designs rather than the lighter gray with the white lattern type pattern.  

Large parts of my house have 60s sculpted multi color carpet.

It was GREAT with the dogs. 😄

Edited by SRF

Loved the Grandeur twice now. Hopefully 2020 February again. Great food and service. However walking down hallways there are some funky smells. It would be nice to have new carpeting. Past February 12 nights had lots of wet spots on promenade walkway. Stuff just leaking out.

Hopefully the Grandeur gets some tlc. We found the chairs in MDR very comfortable. Same for seating in centrum and theater. Fourth floor room had some issues with toilet flushing. Prior on 7 th floor a water leak down the hall causing smelly area. 

I would love to see a new ship. But that’s not likely. Baltimore port has limited ship size. Every time we were on Grandeur the crew was excellent and hard at work doing maintenance.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 4:49 PM, Host Clarea said:

The cruise line has not publicly released any info on Grandeur's dry dock.

It could be only required periodic marine maintenance and inspection.

Agree, older ship doing regular Marine Side Maintenance. Touch up exterior paint. Most of time nothing else, not enough time. Regular maint is done yr round like replace worn carpet, stain wood trim. Serenade and Brilliance do this every yr after returning to Florida. Done during reg cruises

Edited by ONECRUISER

• 2 weeks later...