Southern Caribbean Cruise

Mgold917

Hello! Sorry if this is a silly or repetitive question but my husband and I are thinking about taking a cruise for our anniversary which falls in September.  Generally not a great time for cruising  but we are thinking  of trying to cruise to the ABC islands from Puerto Rico.  I am very skeptical about making these plans and we would be getting travel insurance but everyone we have talked to about it thinks it is a bad idea.  Thoughts from fellow cruisers ???

19 hours ago, Armac said:

September is the height of hurricane season?

Yes, this is our concern.  Besides Europe we are unsure where to take a cruise in September that is a milder climate 

I would definitely do it. In fact, if I didn't have a publicly schooled teenager, that's when we would do most of our travelling. Yes, there are risks during hurricane season, but weather can be questionable year round; it's rare cruises are completely cancelled even with storms occurring, but ports can be changed to avoid danger, which also happens year round.  Cruise contracts stipulate that changes of ports are at their discretion and essentially part of the deal.

In September you still have warm temperatures (it's actually summer until the last 1.5 weeks of the month), lower prices, fewer children and often less crowded ships because all the extra berths may not be filled.  As you note, you will get travel insurance.  Presumably you are not stuck to someone else's limited school schedule so a change of date won't be devastating?

• Like 1

Just because it's "hurricane season" doesn't mean there WILL be a storm.   IF a storm were to form, you will be rerouted...they won't sail thru it if there is ANY way around it!

Hurricanes rarely go as far south as the ABC's, but they do routinely cross Puerto Rico....that's about their southern limit.  Fortunately, hurricanes don't just "pop up" without warning, so you AND the cruise line will have opportunity to plan for these weather issues.

• Like 2

We have loved our southern Caribbean cruises and would definitely sail in September.  In general once you are south of Puerto Rico your chances of a hurricane are reduced.  Every week tens of thousands of passengers sail in the Caribbean, like any travel there is a small chance of a mishap be it airlines, weather or illness.  Hope you find your cruise.

• Like 2

We've sailed (out of San Juan to the ABC's) during the "hurricane" months as recently as a B2B last September...we have/had no concerns at all....and neither did the several thousand people cruising with us.

• Like 1

September is a fantastic time to cruise. Good for you for doing it. Chances of a hurricane are slim, and if you're in open water when one starts to form, the ship will go around.

I've never taken out travel insurance. You either like it or you don't - people are either on one side or the other. Do what's best for you on this one. 

• Like 1

We've traveled every September for 30 years, and have avoided doing Southern itineraries from SJU simply because of hurricane probability. Instead we opt for  Pacific coast Costa Rica or Panama land vacations. We've occasionally vacationed in Aruba in September, once in Grenada, and a few times in Cabo (but not recently).

It really is all a crapshoot.  It's possible to get a long term general forecast depending on El Nino or Nina patterns, but that isn't specific to actual dates.

Edited by evandbob

The ABCs are actually south of where hurricanes usually form and away from the path of almost all hurricanes. There's still the issue of getting to and from San Juan to conside, and San Juan is frequently located in the path of hurricanes, as recent experience has shown. Go ahead and book, but also purchase travel insurance from a reputable agent not affiliated with the cruise line (such as insuremytrip.com).

I'll mention that we have a similar ABCs cruise booked out of San Juan on Freedom of the Seas for October, so I'm probably at slightly higher risk than you are. 

We gather that the OP is in New York State.   Your biggest risk is getting from home to Florida and then there is the additional risk of bad weather in FL.  But if have decent travel insurance that would do much to mitigate the financial risk.  Our standard advice would be to go to FL at least one day early and take your chances with the weather...if you have some insurance.  Life and travel always has some risks and uncertainties, but sometimes you just have to go with your "gut."  

Your least risk is on the ship :).  The cruise lines watch the weather and will modify the itinerary if it is necessary.  As a passenger you just relax., eat, drink, and have a great time.  Let the Captain (and his/her company) suffer the anxiety of itinerary issues.

Hank

11 hours ago, Underwatr said:

Puerto Rico, according to the first post.

Same issue.  Cruise ships can usually deal with storms (hurricanes) by altering their itinerary...unless the storm is nailing the embarkation port (then its a real mess).  The airlines do not mess with big storms and it plays havoc with their scheduled flights.  That is one reason why many frequent cruisers constantly urge cruisers to fly-in to their embarkation at least 1 day early.

Hank