Gratuity paid ahead

Diane5583

I prefer not to have to worry about money while on vacation, so I tend to pay everything I can ahead of time.  So of course I pre paid gratuity.  However now I am worrying that since I am not tipping cash, servers and room stewards ect are going to not be as motivated to take care of me as they would if I was handing them cash.  Do they know those that paid ahead of time?  If I go to the bar, am i going to need to also tip for each drink for them to see me as much of a priority as the person who did not pay ahead and is tipping as they go... Same for the room steward do they know that you tipped them?  

People either prepay or it is auto charged to your acct so no worries there. You can always give extra cash if you wish. As for the bar, 18% grat will be added and reflected in the slip you will sign.

Yes they all  know ahead of time who has prepaid their gratuities.   We do not tip for each drink and have never had a problem with service.  They now add an 18% tip to each bar purchase.   If we get great service above and beyone,  from any of the staff we give them a little at the end of the cruise,  and always prepay our gratuities 

• Like 1

I did a behind-the-scenes tour with a bunch of local hoteliers

on a ship inspection tour, in port. An RCI vessel, not Carnival.

We got to see everything Housekeeping- and Food&Beverage-related

including a sign I noticed on the notice board in the crew area

- it indicated who had withdrawn tips, by cabin number!
I was a bit surprised, but had heard such notices do exist..

I was looking for a photo of it, but no luck

however you might want to see what it looks like

in one of the freezers on board...

ColdBox-3700.jpg

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

I did a behind-the-scenes tour with a bunch of local hoteliers

on a ship inspection tour, in port. An RCI vessel, not Carnival.

We got to see everything Housekeeping- and Food&Beverage-related

including a sign I noticed on the notice board in the crew area

- it indicated who had withdrawn tips, by cabin number!
I was a bit surprised, but had heard such notices do exist..

I was looking for a photo of it, but no luck

however you might want to see what it looks like

in one of the freezers on board...

ColdBox-3700.jpg

There was a thread here several years ago wherein a long time Carnival cruiser and CC member posted a photo he had taken on a Carnival cruise of a list that the room steward had showing who (name, cabin number) had removed their gratuities. Whether that is still the case on Carnival ("the list"), I certainly do not know. 

9 minutes ago, joepeka said:

There was a thread here several years ago

wherein a long time Carnival cruiser and CC member

posted a photo he had taken on a Carnival cruise

of a list that the room steward had

showing who (name, cabin number) had removed their gratuities.

Whether that is still the case on Carnival ("the list"), I certainly do not know. 

I say... expose the cheapskates.

They'll never see my name and cabin number on such a list!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, joepeka said:

There was a thread here several years ago wherein a long time Carnival cruiser and CC member posted a photo he had taken on a Carnival cruise of a list that the room steward had showing who (name, cabin number) had removed their gratuities. Whether that is still the case on Carnival ("the list"), I certainly do not know. 

That was posted by Wennfred.

I pay EVERYTHING I can ahead of time...  but that's just me.
But I ALSO take a couple hundred in ones (2 fresh stacks from the bank) JUST for tipping (and some fives, tens, and twenties brand new too).  I tip pretty much everyone as I go when their service warrants it.... and wouldn't you know it... I have remarkable luck in getting beyond excellent service almost everywhere we go.

I generally pick out a primary bar tender, and the wait staff (clubs/bars) typically compete to take our orders.
I have a conversation with the cabin steward (ess) and the supervisor (in private) on the first day.  I tell them what I want and that I plan to tip them extra for receiving the extra attention.  I give them approximately half the anticipated extra gratuity UP FRONT, and the rest as we leave for debarkation (or the night before).
Same with the waitstaff in the dining room and steak house.
It's not about looking like a big shot.... I do it to make sure my wife has the best time possible...  top service, fast, and friendly.

IF there is a problem with NON-bar service at any time during the cruise, I address it immediately at the desk.  IF it is corrected, I leave my PRE-PAID gratuities un-adjusted.  If the problems are not corrected, I adjust the pre-paids down at the end of the cruise with a detailed written critique (with suggested solutions) included.  I have never had to adjust the gratuities.  I ALWAYS provide a written review to the CD before I debark.

NOTE: I do ALL of this in private and on my own.  My DW never has to see or deal with "issues".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joepeka said:

Yeah I thought that's who it was,  but didn't want to mention his member name in case I was mistaken. 

Yep, it was from the Splendor’s swine flu cruise. I’m not sure the current status but I think the last we heard on the topic, Heald originally denied the list’s existence then changed his story to claim it was from a previous cruise and now he alleges that the list did not exist.

Is this implying that pre paying is looked at more favorably by staff than letting them go on your account? Either way, they are being collected and my understanding was that either could be removed. 

There may be a list of those who remove them but I wouldn’t think the staff would take the time to check if you pre paid or accumulate and pay your account at the end. Either way, they are paid and can be reversed.

8 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Is this implying that pre paying is looked at more favorably by staff than letting them go on your account? Either way, they are being collected and my understanding was that either could be removed. 

There may be a list of those who remove them but I wouldn’t think the staff would take the time to check if you pre paid or accumulate and pay your account at the end. Either way, they are paid and can be reversed.

The "list" that is being referred to is those guests that have gone to GS and asked that the gratuities be removed from their on board account. You're correct that it's doubtful the crew checks or even knows who pre-paid their grats but based on many, many threads here over the years, it seems those most inclined to remove the grats are those that did not pre-pay but have them automatically added to their on board account on the second day.

18 minutes ago, joepeka said:

The "list" that is being referred to is those guests that have gone to GS and asked that the gratuities be removed from their on board account. You're correct that it's doubtful the crew checks or even knows who pre-paid their grats but based on many, many threads here over the years, it seems those most inclined to remove the grats are those that did not pre-pay but have them automatically added to their on board account on the second day.

The stateroom steward is notified if you prepaid your tips. It is marked on his Housekeeping breakout report and on his service board.

I’m sure there is a similar report for the dining services team.

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, they know who has prepaid and they know who has a history of cancelling their gratuities on past cruises. GS regals coworkers with stories of current cruise PITAS.  Just because a guest has prepaid for their own convenience (which it why it was created) , the crew does not receive anything   until after the cruise.

• Thanks 1

Since the tips aren't added until almost the last night, and can't be removed until they are added, you have already received the service without the crew knowing whether you were going to leave the tips or remove them. The list, if it now exists, would only be posted on the last day. How would your service up until that point be affected? Also, as much complaining that is done about how they are so overworked, how would they have time to review the list? 

I don't believe it.

1 minute ago, Lottacruises said:

Since the tips aren't added until almost the last night, and can't be removed until they are added, you have already received the service without the crew knowing whether you were going to leave the tips or remove them. The list, if it now exists, would only be posted on the last day. How would your service up until that point be affected? Also, as much complaining that is done about how they are so overworked, how would they have time to review the list? 

I don't believe it.

I will fully admit that we have pre-paid our grats for the last six years and can only rely on what our on board account reflected on cruises prior to those years when we allowed them to be added to our on board account. Back then, the gratuities were added for the full cruise on the second day in which case, guests were able to (if desired) visit GS and ask them to be removed. Maybe that has changed and if so, I apologize for my ignorance on the topic. :classic_blush:

Hi Mr Joe, yes it has changed now. I honestly think they did it so people are forced to go to guest advices and stand in line the last day to remove them. Some will say it's not worth the hassle, other cheapskates stand there in line and wait to do it.

One thing about cruising, it's always changing! ☺

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

Yes, they know who has prepaid and they know who has a history of cancelling their gratuities on past cruises. GS regals coworkers with stories of current cruise PITAS.  Just because a guest has prepaid for their own convenience (which it why it was created) , the crew does not receive anything   until after the cruise.

This makes no sense. Not sure what you are trying to say. Now there is also a list of those “with a history of cancelling gratuities”. And certainly gratuities paid onboard are not paid to crew until after the cruise either (when they are paid)

6 minutes ago, Lottacruises said:

I don't believe it.

My thoughts exactly, especially about them having the time for this nonsense. Another urban legend debunked.

I can 100% confirm that I have seen "the list" with my own eyes on my last cruise. I do not know exactly how it works. All I know is I saw a list of the cruisers that the employee covered and the last column listed "gratuities".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

This makes no sense. Not sure what you are trying to say. Now there is also a list of those “with a history of cancelling gratuities”. And certainly gratuities paid onboard are not paid to crew until after the cruise either (when they are paid)

My thoughts exactly, especially about them having the time for this nonsense. Another urban legend debunked.

There isn't a list.  The crew remembers past cruisers especially the cheapskates and PITAS.  Bad cruisers are the bane of crew and they like every other place that has repeat customers remember who hosed them.  Experienced crew can smell whose is going to be a problem a nautical mile away.  

52 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I can 100% confirm that I have seen "the list" with my own eyes on my last cruise. I do not know exactly how it works. All I know is I saw a list of the cruisers that the employee covered and the last column listed "gratuities".

Yes, there is also your picture next to your name.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

And were there entries in that column? Or was it possibly a place for the crew member to enter if they received grats directly? I don’t know. Just a question.

I wish I had looked at it more. It was on one of the service carts. The last column appeared to be pre-printed with whether or not that room had paid gratuities. I could not tell if it stated who removed them or not. There absolutely is A list. I can't speak to how it's implemented though.