How am I supposed to drink this?

I'm not sure if this is fleet-wide (which I doubt), or just on ships sailing from San Juan, but I'm an on the Freedom for a b2b (today's the last day). Here are the new milk containers.

How is an adult supposed to drink from these drink boxes? Or pour it on your cereal? Akward at best. There is no way to get the product out without using the straw.

At least it has a plastic straw!

IMG_20190316_084531.jpg

IMG_20190316_084525.jpg

Edited by audome78
Spelling
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Does it have ends that fold up?  I’ve had kinds like this where you fold up the end, then crack open into a spout.

Mo.. The only access is they the straw home

7 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I like how on the front it touts that it's without artificial hormones and then on the back it says there's no significant difference whether it has that or not. :classic_biggrin:

My reaction was the same at first. But I think they are reassuring people that the milk is no different. Lots of people try to avoid exposure to articial anything, especially hormones. They are touting that the milk is just as good as stuff produced the "usual" way with hormones. Poor wording, though!

Pull up both triangular flaps at the top on either side and then cut or rip one of the flap corners with a dinner knife to provide a pouring spout as show in the shot of the juice box below.

I agree that these drink boxes are meant to be used with a straw but the above has always worked well to pour milk from one of these boxes onto my breakfast cold cereal.

P3160170.JPG

• Like 2

Just now, robtulipe said:

Pull up both triangular flaps at the top on either side and then cut or rip one of the flap corners with a dinner knife to provide a pouring spout as show in the shot of the juice box below.

I agree that these drink boxes are meant to be used with a straw but the above has always worked well to pour milk from one of these boxes onto my breakfast cold cereal.

Crayons not included...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Take the straw to one of the bars where people are evidently in crisis because they cannot get a straw for their foo foo umbrella drink . 

You'll be a hero. 

LOL....it sure explains why we have snowflakes out there...

• Like 1

When sailing out of Australia on RCI it is always milk in a small box. On the Ovation from Hong Kong to Sydney they had large milk containers until Singapore and then switched to small boxes. On the positive side you do get used to it and get rather proficient at opening them.

6 hours ago, audome78 said:

Mo.. The only access is they the straw home

Or stick straw in hole, remove it and squeeze/squirt on Cereal or in cup. I do it all the ship all the time...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

Ask a European.  These type of containers for milk are vary common there.  The milk is shelf stable without the need to be refrigerated.

Having said that, use the straw to poke the hole in the container.  Use straw to drink milk, children seems to be able to drink fruit beverages in similiar packaging using a straw without difficulty.  Alternatively, for cereal application, after using straw to penetrate the hole, remove straw.  Then use hole to dispense milk into cereal bowl.  No different that pour chicken stock from similiar containers through one hole.  Retain straw and offer it for sale to people that want/need straw for their adult beverages.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, gatour said:

Alternatively, for cereal application, after using straw to penetrate the hole, remove straw.  Then use hole to dispense milk into cereal bowl.  No different that pour chicken stock from similiar containers through one hole.  Retain straw and offer it for sale to people that want/need straw for their adult beverages.

Big difference in hole size thus pour flow rate between these two. Stock box has a nice pouring spout while milk box doesn't unless side tab is pulled up and corner cut open. 

P3160172.JPG

We had these containers on the last few TA's we've done, both Westbound & Eastbound, and didn't have a problem with them.  In the UK these kind of cartons are quite popular for different types of soft drinks, so to get  the milk out easily, insert the straw, and squeeze the carton, and the milk comes out through the straw, fairly quickly.    Trying to squeeze the milk through the hole without the straw might be more complicated.    If you wish to drink the milk, drink it through the straw, simple!!  

• Like 1