Water Question

Scottygirl1

2 hours ago, Lindaru said:

Also, do the Princess ships have recycle bins along with their waste baskets both in the state room and public areas?

Princess has recycle bins (separate for cans and for plastic/paper) on some of the outside decks, especially the Lido deck. No recycle bins in the cabin.

• Like 1

Just a friendly reminder that if you fill a water bottle at the buffet, you use a glass to do so and not fill it directly from the dispenser. Or, as I saw one guy as I walked through the buffet one afternoon when no one else was around, using one of the water pitchers to pour water into a plastic bottle (with the spout of the pitcher right on the bottle!)...I found a waiter and gave him the pitcher.

• Like 1

We have a metal water bottle that we take on every cruise.  When leaving the ship in port, I will go to the buffet area and get 2 large glasses of apple juice with ice and take them to the room and fill the metal water bottle to take on shore with us.  Have never had a problem either getting off the ship or back on.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Scottygirl1 said:

Thanks for your answers - my concern is really all the plastic that gets wasted with the water you can buy but I am assuming that Princess (and other cruise lines) have a safe eco-friendly disposal system.  I think the water we got for free when disembarking was on our much earlier cruises. I will probably get the 12 bottle package though because I'm more likely to drink more water if it's in front of me (and then drink the wine which will also be in front of me 🙂  ) . Happy days - only two months until we sail!!

So instead of bringing a reusable drinking container onboard you will eco unfriendly 12 water bottles made of plastic?  How strange.

13 hours ago, Lindaru said:

Thanks.  Guess I will just buy something to drink after I get into Victoria.

That could be the only reason for not allowing coffee to be taken off the ship. Increased sales for the shops. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

That could be the only reason for not allowing coffee to be taken off the ship. Increased sales for the shops. 

When we used to drive back and forth to Vancouver and Victoria, I know they were picky about things coming in for contamination reasons and wondered if that might have something to do with it, but you make a good point.  Very well could be that!

22 hours ago, Scottygirl1 said:

I see the bottled water is now available online again but my question is this.  On previous cruises with other lines they have given out free water as you left the ship at various ports.  Does Princess do this or should we be taking our own water with us? 

No free water.

Take your own water bottle and fill with water available from the buffet.  Unless you don’t mind paying each time you go ashore for Princess bottled water.

Actually, what I do is to bring my own bottled water on board.  For 14 day cruise,  3 cases of water @$2.98  per case.  Refill up my own insulated water bottle with ice and water when going ashore.  Keeps my water ice cold all day.  YMMV.

Enjoy.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

10 hours ago, famski740 said:

We have a metal water bottle that we take on every cruise.  When leaving the ship in port, I will go to the buffet area and get 2 large glasses of apple juice with ice and take them to the room and fill the metal water bottle to take on shore with us.  Have never had a problem either getting off the ship or back on.

When you bring the metal container back aboard after being ashore is it full or empty? I notice that there are usually "emptying stations" where they want (open) water bottles dumped out. I have brought sealed water bottles onboard in different countries but not open (partial) bottles. Just wondering as it seems folks would tend to fill the reusable metal water bottles with "other" liquids.

7 hours ago, AAAAmerican said:

Water , Water everywhere and not a drop of drink..

CAUTION on any Ships DeSalinated Water;

High , Very High Sodium Levels exisit. Other chemiocals in that process too.

Chang

Believe we need a refresher course on how ship's water is processed.

I think I remember that it is distilled to pure and then some small amount of minerals are added to make it possible to drink. Some chlorine is also added as it is with city water supplies. I don't ever remember "very high sodium levels and other chemicals." Also, at some ports ships may take on water from local sources.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

I remember getting a small cup of water and a cold towel when getting back ON the ship after a day in port

Yes, Princess almost always does this when getting back on the ship in  "hot weather" ports.  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, famski740 said:

Thrak,

We have never been asked what is in the bottle or if it is empty or full.  We have never had to open it and empty out the contents while getting back on board.

Thanks. I'm sure it has to go through the scanner but am surprised they don't check it for liquor. Of course when boarding in ports other than the original embarkation port they don't really seem to care much. I know we've carried wine on in ports other than embarkation and nobody said a word about it.

18 hours ago, famski740 said:

Thrak,

We have never been asked what is in the bottle or if it is empty or full.  We have never had to open it and empty out the contents while getting back on board.

10 hours ago, Thrak said:

Thanks. I'm sure it has to go through the scanner but am surprised they don't check it for liquor. Of course when boarding in ports other than the original embarkation port they don't really seem to care much. I know we've carried wine on in ports other than embarkation and nobody said a word about it.

Agree with both the above.  No one on a Princess ship has questioned any balance of liquid (water) in our bottles when re-boarding.  Ditto on wine, but I don't think we have ever brought on more than two bottles at a port stop (don't bother stopping at the alcohol table since wine is not confiscated like liquor until end of cruise and they are going to assess corkage if they want to when we take an unopened bottle somewhere like a DR).

Good morning all! This will be my first trip to the Caribbean I am so excited to be going in April 2020 with my sister, do they have the water issues that I always hear about in Mexico? I already have a refillable bottle to take with me but I need to be prepared when we eat lunch or dinner in port. I drink water 90% of the time and do not want to get sick.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

1 hour ago, Moose07 said:

Good morning all! This will be my first trip to the Caribbean I am so excited to be going in April 2020 with my sister, do they have the water issues that I always hear about in Mexico? I already have a refillable bottle to take with me but I need to be prepared when we eat lunch or dinner in port. I drink water 90% of the time and do not want to get sick.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

No issues in the Caribbean. 

• Haha 1

On 3/22/2019 at 9:47 AM, skynight said:

Dear skynight,

Yes I agree you do too.

Desalinization in any form does not fully remove sodium etc..

A machine eg: only at the maximum runs at 25 % well.

Do not know where youall hail from but here in the largest population density in the U.S. we have even a French Publicly Traded firm SUEZ which bought United Water Resources one of the eldest firms traded before on the NYSE.Past trading symbol (UWR : NYSE)

I helped formulate the water additives used with that firms chemists/scientists.

Municipalties do draw water and/or are provided.

Even here in the small muinicipality I reside in has over a score, of artsian wells and it's own water/power company. They do add chemicals as required to conform with set standards.

Testing is done as should be for contaminents as well other matter, and the additives gained.

On any ship which desalinates , which is needed and done. Minerals are added in bottled water as well.

I even purchase bottled water at a Monroe County, NY, Rochester firm, Wegmans which has them packed in a 35 count. My cost is about A us JEFFERSON NICKLE PER BOTTLE.

Look at all our Oceans etc.. the salinity levels have and are rising due to lack of human good management.  Did you think taking seshells at the seashores would have done this?

I posted to help people know FACT as well use caution as many cruisers need to know as per the medical conditions they may have.

On 3/22/2019 at 9:47 AM, skynight said:

Chang

Believe we need a refresher course on how ship's water is processed.

I think I remember that it is distilled to pure and then some small amount of minerals are added to make it possible to drink. Some chlorine is also added as it is with city water supplies. I don't ever remember "very high sodium levels and other chemicals." Also, at some ports ships may take on water from local sources.

• Haha 2