Table For 2

CruiseNut24

Just curious as to - has anyone that has requested a traditional table for 2 ever get one?  For the past three cruises,  wife and I have requested a table for two and have not come close.  All cruises were booked well over a year before the cruise date.  Each time we are assigned a table for either 8 or 10.  Wonder if you book direct with Princess, you are given priority to those precious tables.  Has anyone gotten lucky in getting a table for 2.  Not like we are new to Princess, we are Elite, and each cruise we have to go play speak to the guy in Sabatini's to see if you can change tables.  Still never got a table for 2.  Don't want to switch to any time dinning....

Thanks -   

Just off the Crown Princess where we had a table for 2 as requested. I originally booked Anytime, but when I realized how full the ship was getting I asked my TA (it might have been after final payment) to get us changed to Traditional Late Dining and a table for 2. It was a good decision since the ship sailed full. We, too, are Elite.

You don't say whether you are traditional or anytime?

The best way to handle it is if you are AT just request this at the door when you arrive for dinner.

If you are traditional then see the Maitre d on embarkation day at the time/Place listed in the Patter.

It is usually held in one of the DR's between 2p and 3:30p.

This is for passengers with special requests such as yours.

• Like 1

Never had a problem getting a table for 2 at Traditional Dining.  But in many cases they are located only a couple of feet from another table for 2.  And in some cases there's another table for 2 on the other side.  More like a table for 6!

• Like 1

We're Elite as well. We used to book Anytime and we've gone back to Traditional. For Anytime we would always get a table for two - no problem. We're always willing to wait for one. As for Traditional, I think we've been assigned a table for two only a handful of times. The rest we've gone to the Maitre d and asked for a table for two.  Thankfully we've always been granted our requests.

Our last (4) cruises, we requested table for 2 - traditional - late dining.  Three of the cruises we had a great table in the back alongside a wall and it was truly wonderful. On one cruise it was a table for 2 set in a row of (6) table for two.  The tables were so close to each other that I (short fuller figured woman) could not walk (squeeze) between the tables comfortably.   Many must have felt the same as the next night - we were the only ones in our 'row'.. the waiter even said 'please come back tomorrow'.. We didn't. We only ate in the MDR twice, as it was just an uncomfortable feeling being that squeezed in to others. 

We requested a table for 2 on one of our first cruises (TD).

We got the table for 2 in an alcove that had only 1 other table. Very private, great location.

Our alcove "mates" were nice to chat with or not. Had a great dinner time.

Since then we request a table for 4. Sometimes we're assigned 6 or 8. Not good. I'm hard of hearing even with my hearing aids and can't hear any of the conversations. We usually refuse the assignment and get a table for 4 or skip the MDR altogether.

I got one on my next cruise.  Cruising solo and have traditional, late for 2! Booked through Princess.  Still don’t want to be in a row.  I see probably 400+ people per day- I’m cruising for my solitude!

So far we have asked for a table for 2 and received them.  When Princess announced the new TD times we went to 2cd TD and in November we again received a table for 2.  Due to my hearing loss I simply cannot hear even with the hearing aids so I would reject a larger table.   We eat lunch in the MDR on sea days and will agree reluctantly to a table for 6.  Luckily the DW can hear but has to keep telling me what they said at the table.  I have been taken to a larger table at lunch and I refused.  They have always seated us at a smaller table. 

15 minutes ago, CynCyn said:

I got one on my next cruise.  Cruising solo and have traditional, late for 2! Booked through Princess.  Still don’t want to be in a row.  I see probably 400+ people per day- I’m cruising for my solitude!

Be aware that what you have is a confirmation of late traditional dining with a request for a table for two. There is no guarantee that you will get that table for two and you won't know until you the first time you go to the MDR. The Maitre d' is usually available for a couple of hours in the afternoon of embarkation day to discuss table allocations. Details of that will be in the embarkation day Patter. 

14 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Be aware that what you have is a confirmation of late traditional dining with a request for a table for two. There is no guarantee that you will get that table for two and you won't know until you the first time you go to the MDR. The Maitre d' is usually available for a couple of hours in the afternoon of embarkation day to discuss table allocations. Details of that will be in the embarkation day Patter. 

Thanks for the heads-up.  I will check in to make sure I get it!

So glad I am not the only one that has trouble with larger dining tables. I have 80% hearing loss in one ear, so on a large table I only hear the left side conversaton haha!! It is just too hard, when I wear my hearing aid, as it is in one ear it picks up conversations on the next table!

We choose a table for two so we can have nice quiet conversation and I am not concentrating on what people are saying or missed conversation.

We have always been able to get a table for two with Anytime and TD.

Edited by cheznandy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, C-LAD said:

Never had a problem getting a table for 2 at Traditional Dining.  But in many cases they are located only a couple of feet from another table for 2.  And in some cases there's another table for 2 on the other side.  More like a table for 6!

You are close, we have done these tables for 2 like that and one time ended up sharing a table as 4 with a couple form Canada we were talking to each night as they sat less then three feet away. 

What about table for 3? There are going to be 3 of us traveling together on my cruise. We have Anytime dining and would like to sit alone. We'll be on Ruby Princess, if that matters. I've seen lots of conversation about the seating for 2, but how does it work for 3 people? Will we just be seated at a regular table for 4 and have an empty seat? Are there booths? We much prefer a booth if they have them, but I've never traveled on Princess so I don't know how the MDR is set up.

45 minutes ago, Cyn874 said:

What about table for 3? There are going to be 3 of us traveling together on my cruise. We have Anytime dining and would like to sit alone. We'll be on Ruby Princess, if that matters. I've seen lots of conversation about the seating for 2, but how does it work for 3 people? Will we just be seated at a regular table for 4 and have an empty seat? Are there booths? We much prefer a booth if they have them, but I've never traveled on Princess so I don't know how the MDR is set up.

We have cruised many times with our son and always get a table for 3.  They do give you a table for 4 and just leave one spot  empty.  No problems.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, cheznandy said:

So glad I am not the only one that has trouble with larger dining tables. I have 80% hearing loss in one ear, so on a large table I only hear the left side conversaton haha!! It is just too hard, when I wear my hearing aid, as it is in one ear it picks up conversations on the next table!

We choose a table for two so we can have nice quiet conversation and I am not concentrating on what people are saying or missed conversation.

We have always been able to get a table for two with Anytime and TD.

I have the same issue with hearing loss.  We always request a table for 2.  In 20+ cruises with Princess, there have been 3-4 times were the requested 2 top was initially provided.  A quick visit with the Maitre fixed the initial assignment.  We always visit the Dining room after embarking to check on our assignment.  Never had an issue getting a table for 2.  

We have requested a table for 2 with no problems. On our last cruise their was a row of about 5 tables for 2. We had a nice table near a window. Their was a couple next to us & we talked to them occasionally. It was fine for us since we could just talk to ourselves or talk with couple next to us which we enjoyed. 

Tom😎

20 hours ago, CruiseNut24 said:

Just curious as to - has anyone that has requested a traditional table for 2 ever get one?  For the past three cruises,  wife and I have requested a table for two and have not come close.  All cruises were booked well over a year before the cruise date.  Each time we are assigned a table for either 8 or 10.  Wonder if you book direct with Princess, you are given priority to those precious tables.  Has anyone gotten lucky in getting a table for 2.  Not like we are new to Princess, we are Elite, and each cruise we have to go play speak to the guy in Sabatini's to see if you can change tables.  Still never got a table for 2.  Don't want to switch to any time dinning....

Thanks -   

Gotten them 8 out of our last 9 cruises.  Usually we book in the earliest dining slot in the mid ship dining room.  The one time we did not get them is when we booked the normal early traditional slot in the stern dining room.  

We book direct with Princess.