Princess Cruisers trying Ovation

We are regular Princess cruisers, but have sailed Radiance OTS twice several years ago. We are doing the May 2 Hawaii to Vancouver on the Ovation, and need some hints on things to do/not do. We are older seniors, and not very active. I do want to try the bumper cars -  loved them growing up. We really enjoy the sea days, which is why we booked this cruise. How is the library? Is there a book exchange section? We enjoy trying the various restaurants, but most often do the buffet. We enjoy some of the shows, especially the comedians. I like the trivia. How many trivias per day? (Princess often has three.) Are there any game shows (like the Newlywed Game?) Is there an ice cream place? All tips appreciated.

Edited by HappyCruiserettu
To improve wording.

4 hours ago, HappyCruiserettu said:

We enjoy some of the shows, especially the comedians. I like the trivia.

Quantum class (including Ovation) has some unique shows which may be difficult to attend without reservations - Pixels just became available for booking in the planner, you may want to reserve some others as well. You may want to take advantage of the Royal IQ app on the ship.

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Quantum class (including Ovation) has some unique shows which may be difficult to attend without reservations - Pixels just became available for booking in the planner, you may want to reserve some others as well. You may want to take advantage of the Royal IQ app on the ship.

What the function(s) of the Royal app? What can I do with, or thru, it?

7 hours ago, BekkaW said:

The library on Ovation is pretty small, it’s upstairs inside the 270 lounge at the rear of the ship. Usually 2 trivias per day, and yes there is a Love & Marriage game show.  

Thanks for your input. I feel more comfortable now.

11 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Daily activities and ability to book activities and restaurants. 

9 minutes ago, HappyCruiserettu said:

Good to know. Can I access the app before boarding, or only onboard?

You can access the app before boarding, then once onboard you can select items from the cruise planner and swipe to add them to your personal calendar. You can also view menus for restaurants onboard.

Please note that the times won't be finalized until a week before boarding.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dreadpirate3 said:

You can access the app before boarding, then once onboard you can select items from the cruise planner and swipe to add them to your personal calendar. 

I should have specified Royal IQ app in my posts - you can’t do anything with it before connecting to the ship’s WiFi. 

3 hours ago, HappyCruiserettu said:

Good to know. Can I access the app before boarding, or only onboard?

Just to be clear, Ovation uses the Royal IQ app not the RCI app. You should install it before getting on the ship but you can't use it till you connect to the ship's wifi.

15 hours ago, HappyCruiserettu said:

We are regular Princess cruisers, but have sailed Radiance OTS twice several years ago. We are doing the May 2 Hawaii to Vancouver on the Ovation, and need some hints on things to do/not do. We are older seniors, and not very active. I do want to try the bumper cars -  loved them growing up. We really enjoy the sea days, which is why we booked this cruise. How is the library? Is there a book exchange section? We enjoy trying the various restaurants, but most often do the buffet. We enjoy some of the shows, especially the comedians. I like the trivia. How many trivias per day? (Princess often has three.) Are there any game shows (like the Newlywed Game?) Is there an ice cream place? All tips appreciated.

Just echoing what bekkaW said...the library is upstairs the Two70...walk to the back/aft towards Two70, then walk upstairs...don't think there was a book exchange.  The computers are there as well.

For us, (Hong Kong - Australia), trivia was 4 times a day...in the morning, early afternoon, around 5:30, then last one around 8-8:30.

The newlywed show is called "Love and Marriage".

If I remember correctly, there's a soft serve ice-cream machine on Deck 14 towards the back/aft before entering the Solarium.

Just one tip: We didn't plan on doing the iFly...like you we thought we were too old.......turned out it was the highlight of our cruise.  We did the iFly with a 5 year old girl and a 92 year old wondergreatgrandma!  Happy Sailing! 😊

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Just echoing what bekkaW said...the library is upstairs the Two70...walk to the back/aft towards Two70, then walk upstairs...don't think there was a book exchange.  The computers are there as well.

For us, (Hong Kong - Australia), trivia was 4 times a day...in the morning, early afternoon, around 5:30, then last one around 8-8:30.

The newlywed show is called "Love and Marriage".

If I remember correctly, there's a soft serve ice-cream machine on Deck 14 towards the back/aft before entering the Solarium.

Just one tip: We didn't plan on doing the iFly...like you we thought we were too old.......turned out it was the highlight of our cruise.  We did the iFly with a 5 year old girl and a 92 year old wondergreatgrandma!  Happy Sailing! 😊

Thank you, bonsai, and others. I feel like I'm getting a lot of good information. As for the iFly, I may not be too old, but I do have an occasional inner ear problem, so I don't think I will be flying.

We have MyTime Dining. I expect that we will most often eat in the WJ buffet, but how does MyTime work with the MDR's? And  is there a difference in the food at the various MDR's, or is it just the decor? I gather that we can either make reservations, or just drop in, like a land-based restaurant.

At the appropriate times, can I expect to find grits, prime rib, bread pudding and creme brûlée? Are the sodas Coke or Pepsi products? Is there an omelet station?

Food, obviously, is high on my list of things to do.  

Edited by HappyCruiserettu
Correct typo. Add questions.

51 minutes ago, HappyCruiserettu said:

We have MyTime Dining. I expect that we will most often eat in the WJ buffet, but how does MyTime work with the MDR's? And  is there a difference in the food at the various MDR's, or is it just the decor? I gather that we can either make reservations, or just drop in, like a land-based restaurant.

At the appropriate times, can I expect to find grits, prime rib, bread pudding and creme brûlée? Are the sodas Coke or Pepsi products? Is there an omelet station?

Food, obviously, is high on my list of things to do.  

You are correct, the menu is the same at all the MDR's and MTD. When we sailed the Ovation, the Silk was designated as MTD. (The different names and decor was from the unpopular "Dynamic Dining" concept...that did not last long.)

Yes, you can make reservations or just drop in for MTD. Yes, you can expect all those foods, but I can't tell you if they have Coke or Pepsi.  Perhaps someone who drinks sodas will chime in. Yes, there's an omelet station.

Please try CafeTwo70 for breakfast or for a snack...you'll be pleasantly surprised. And if you are looking for a slightly healthy venue...try the Solarium Bistro.

(We used to sail Princess and have made many friends playing trivia. )

• Like 1

Watch out on the bumper cars.  Safety strap goes across your neck and can really chew you up.  Wear something that protects your neck!  (And yes, they are fun).  

In our 60's, and iFly was a lot of fun.  Best person in our group was about 4 - instructor flew him around like Superman.  Had a 6 year old freak out and exit.  You only have about a minute in the tube but well worth doing.  Mostly older folks just got into a stable position and floated for their photo.

Anthem only had about 50 books in library and no exchange section - worst we have seen on any ship.

Cafe in 270 seems to have items you can't get elsewhere, including a lot of interesting desserts.  We liked Solarium for breakfast and lunch.  Windjammer buffet is pretty similar to Princess.  Closes between meals.  What we miss most is the Princess grill on deck.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Watch out on the bumper cars.  Safety strap goes across your neck and can really chew you up.  Wear something that protects your neck!  (And yes, they are fun).  

In our 60's, and iFly was a lot of fun.  Best person in our group was about 4 - instructor flew him around like Superman.  Had a 6 year old freak out and exit.  You only have about a minute in the tube but well worth doing.  Mostly older folks just got into a stable position and floated for their photo.

Anthem only had about 50 books in library and no exchange section - worst we have seen on any ship.

Cafe in 270 seems to have items you can't get elsewhere, including a lot of interesting desserts.  We liked Solarium for breakfast and lunch.  Windjammer buffet is pretty similar to Princess.  Closes between meals.  What we miss most is the Princess grill on deck.

I agree with the bumper car warning.  We have done them a few times on Anthem and we do not like that they just let people go free with no direction of travel.  There were way too many head on crashes.  Most bumper car rides make people travel in a circle and don't allow head on hits.  Last time we rode I ended up being hit head on by one guy and then t boned by the guys friend immediately after.  Ended up with a couple of good bruises.

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

I agree with the bumper car warning.  We have done them a few times on Anthem and we do not like that they just let people go free with no direction of travel.  There were way too many head on crashes.  Most bumper car rides make people travel in a circle and don't allow head on hits.  Last time we rode I ended up being hit head on by one guy and then t boned by the guys friend immediately after.  Ended up with a couple of good bruises.

I'm confused. Isn't bumping the point of riding a bumper car?