How are the Swans doing, 2019

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 11:57 AM, NoWhiners said:

Looks like the Swans will have another tough game vs Brisbane. My prediction: Lions 16.15 (111) Swans 11.7 (73). Maybe I'll get it backwards again :classic_biggrin:

Go Swans

It ended up closer than your prediction and unfortunately they are now 1 win from 7 games, it is going to be tough from here.

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

Full time - Lions won by 22 pts - 14.9.103 to Swans 12.9.81

It was a close game at times but Lions just too strong.

Leigh

I am having issues with my laptop, didn't see your post and yet it seems to be there an hour before mine.

11 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I am having issues with my laptop, didn't see your post and yet it seems to be there an hour before mine.

I have had the same happen to me too Mic with CC posts. Well it’s the big game next Friday night - Swans v Bombers at SCG at 7.50pm. Go Bombers! Although we do have to get through this afternoon’s game against the top team yet! Just off to watch the grandsons play their football matches and then home in time to watch the game on TV. 

Leigh

14 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

It ended up closer than your prediction and unfortunately they are now 1 win from 7 games, it is going to be tough from here.

Hmm, yes. Both teams did a little better than I predicted. But a loss is a loss. If this was the US, they would fire the coach :classic_biggrin:. Cuz', you know, the coach isn't on the field playing the actual game.

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

I have had the same happen to me too Mic with CC posts. Well it’s the big game next Friday night - Swans v Bombers at SCG at 7.50pm. Go Bombers! Although we do have to get through this afternoon’s game against the top team yet! Just off to watch the grandsons play their football matches and then home in time to watch the game on TV. 

Leigh

Ah yes, the BIG showdown. I will do some research and post my prediction (but it will favor the Swans)! We have lulled your Bombers right into the mental state we want--now they will think we have no chance and we will coast to victory and turn our season around :classic_wink: :classic_tongue:

Go Swans!

ML

4 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Hmm, yes. Both teams did a little better than I predicted. But a loss is a loss. If this was the US, they would fire the coach :classic_biggrin:. Cuz', you know, the coach isn't on the field playing the actual game.

Don’t worry teams are pretty quick to give the coach the punt here too.

12 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Well, good to know it isn't just Americans that over-react when the team is bad!

I have a theory, that at that level coaching isn’t about teaching them to tackle or run or kick, but to make sure the tactics are right and the players heads are in the right state. That’s why some coaches get the sack.

ive know coaches whose teams would rather anything than have the coach unhappy with them, they are teams win.

Longmire has been senior coach since 2011, and was an assistant from 2002 at Sydney.

He has the runs on the board in terms of never missing the finals as senior coach, and the 2012 premiership.

There are questions now floating around about whether he has been there too long and his ability to do the necessary re-building as it has been his only coaching environment for so long.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/05/02/is-it-time-for-john-longmire-to-leave-the-sydney-swans/

Edited by Docker123

23 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Longmire has been senior coach since 2011, and was an assistant from 2002 at Sydney.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/05/02/is-it-time-for-john-longmire-to-leave-the-sydney-swans/

Very interesting reading, lots of history I didn't know. I am a bit perplexed as to why the Swans were penalized for signing 2 players, even for a lot of money and fairly long terms? What kind of league doesn't allow teams to sign player to whatever contracts they want? I must be missing something.

Thanks for the link.

42 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I have a theory, that at that level coaching isn’t about teaching them to tackle or run or kick, but to make sure the tactics are right and the players heads are in the right state. That’s why some coaches get the sack.

ive know coaches whose teams would rather anything than have the coach unhappy with them, they are teams win.

Yes, this makes sense. Recruit capable players, then motivate them to succeed. What could go wrong :classic_biggrin:?

32 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Yes, this makes sense. Recruit capable players, then motivate them to succeed. What could go wrong :classic_biggrin:?

There’s a term used here “The coach has lost the dressing room”.

doesnt mean he is directionally challenged, just he haas lost the players support and desire to not let him down.

36 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Very interesting reading, lots of history I didn't know. I am a bit perplexed as to why the Swans were penalized for signing 2 players, even for a lot of money and fairly long terms? What kind of league doesn't allow teams to sign player to whatever contracts they want? I must be missing something.

Thanks for the link.

The AFL has a draft and a salary cap (around $12-15 mil I think, someone who follows the game closer will correct me no doubt), and that all the club can spend on players each year.

it is designed to spread the talent more evenly and to stop clubs going broke.

4 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

The AFL has a draft and a salary cap (around $12-15 mil I think, someone who follows the game closer will correct me no doubt), and that all the club can spend on players each year.

it is designed to spread the talent more evenly and to stop clubs going broke.

Yes, American professional football has the same. Did the Swans violate the cap by signing Buddy? Is the cap you cited per player or per team? That sounds low for a team?? The cap on NFL teams is just under $200M this year.

38 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Yes, American professional football has the same. Did the Swans violate the cap by signing Buddy? Is the cap you cited per player or per team? That sounds low for a team?? The cap on NFL teams is just under $200M this year.

The salary cap is per team. It is technically called the total player payments as it incorporates a series of other non-salary expenses (for example, when friends’ son made his debut in the AFL the game was in another state. Flights and accommodation for the parents came under TPP).

Sydney had an additional allowance of about 10% because it is supposed to be expensive — the Cost of Living Allowance (COLA). Notionally, this was supposed to be spread across the players so that everyone would have the support.

The Buddy situation got quite problematic for various reasons. One was that all the announcements were that he was negotiating with GWS, as a relatively new team supported by the League to grow. SURPRISE, not holding the press conference to sign with the Giants, signing with the Swans. AFL not happy, Giants not happy, no one but Swans happy.

He was given a very long and ( for AFL) lucrative contract, out of line with other players. Questions were raised about manipulation of the salary cap and allocation of COLA to facilitate the signing. 

Compounding this was the recruitment of another star player on a big salary the previous year. That one also raised many eyebrows because of the $$$ and how it was conducted.

As Mr Gut indicated, TPP was part of an equalisation process to prevent the rich clubs just buying the best talent. AFL took umbrage, and action as the behaviour was seen as not in the spirit of the game.  

5 hours ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

wishing them luck for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Docker123 said:

He has the runs on the board in terms of never missing the finals as senior coach, and the 2012 premiership.

There are questions now floating around about whether he has been there too long and his ability to do the necessary re-building as it has been his only coaching environment for so long.

I think it is time for a change, and a rebuilding of player dynamics as well. Something is missing and new blood will fix that hunger and passion.

20 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

The salary cap is per team. It is technically called the total player payments as it incorporates a series of other non-salary expenses (for example, when friends’ son made his debut in the AFL the game was in another state. Flights and accommodation for the parents came under TPP).

Sydney had an additional allowance of about 10% because it is supposed to be expensive — the Cost of Living Allowance (COLA). Notionally, this was supposed to be spread across the players so that everyone would have the support.

The Buddy situation got quite problematic for various reasons. One was that all the announcements were that he was negotiating with GWS, as a relatively new team supported by the League to grow. SURPRISE, not holding the press conference to sign with the Giants, signing with the Swans. AFL not happy, Giants not happy, no one but Swans happy.

He was given a very long and ( for AFL) lucrative contract, out of line with other players. Questions were raised about manipulation of the salary cap and allocation of COLA to facilitate the signing. 

Compounding this was the recruitment of another star player on a big salary the previous year. That one also raised many eyebrows because of the $$$ and how it was conducted.

As Mr Gut indicated, TPP was part of an equalisation process to prevent the rich clubs just buying the best talent. AFL took umbrage, and action as the behaviour was seen as not in the spirit of the game.  

Like a lot of things, the best made plans don't always work out.