Upgrade Fairy vs Upsell?

erin6494

We are eagerly watching the countdown for our May 2018 CB Cruise and have noticed there are still a LOT of open cabins.

We turned down an upsell offer a few weeks ago ($179 each for an inside to a balcony) and, while I know it was not an awesome deal, I have been kicking myself every since.

In your experience, how likely are upsell offers to come a second time if there is still inventory available? Does the Upgrade Fairy still exist, could we be surprised at the pier?

Erin

PS- apologies if this has been covered lots of times before.....I do not love the new search feature.

I don't know how long your cruise is but $179 from an inside to balcony for a 7 night cruise - I would have taken it.

Yes you can receive multiple upsell offers. Have you tried calling the number back and see if they are still offering it?

Edited by Coral

Is this for the May 14th just out of dry dock?   We actually got upgraded from ocean view to a balcony cabin.  First upgrade ever!  But I have still been watching all the empty cabins and wondering if we could go to a mini suite.  Prices dropped a few weeks ago but then bounced back up again. I would call them and see what happens, kind of like what kind of a deal can you make me ? 

Thanks!  It is actually for the May 18 cruise (so keep her in tip top shape for me flgojo 🙂 )

We book thru a TA, would all upgrades/upsell offers need to go thru him? If not, I will give Princess a call today.

Regardless, we will be very happy to be on the ship and will enjoy every minute whether from our own private balcony or from a public deck. Nothing beats staring at the ocean!!

1 hour ago, erin6494 said:

Thanks!  It is actually for the May 18 cruise (so keep her in tip top shape for me flgojo 🙂 )

We book thru a TA, would all upgrades/upsell offers need to go thru him? If not, I will give Princess a call today.

Regardless, we will be very happy to be on the ship and will enjoy every minute whether from our own private balcony or from a public deck. Nothing beats staring at the ocean!!

You might have been able to do a back to back for almost the cost of that upgrade but I imagine you have flights to consider. 

4 minutes ago, flgojo said:

You might have been able to do a back to back for almost the cost of that upgrade but I imagine you have flights to consider. 

We do have flights (and work schedules) but that would have been awesome!

Ple

35 minutes ago, erin6494 said:

Thanks everyone, I will give them a call on Monday.  Worst case, I will still be sailing the Caribbean in 8 weeks 🙂

Please share your result with us on Monday.

When people post upsell offers, it would be helpful to include the ship, the region/area sailing, the number of nights the cruise is, as well as from/to cabin types and categories.  Otherwise, no one can tell what the offer is like. 

E.G.:  Regal Princess, 11-night Baltic Cruise, Jun 1/19, Obstructed Balcony mid-ship to a Mini Suite anywhere available for $100/pp. 

(The above is wishful thinking on my part!!)

31 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

When people post upsell offers, it would be helpful to include the ship, the region/area sailing, the number of nights the cruise is, as well as from/to cabin types and categories.  Otherwise, no one can tell what the offer is like. 

E.G.:  Regal Princess, 11-night Baltic Cruise, Jun 1/19, Obstructed Balcony mid-ship to a Mini Suite anywhere available for $100/pp. 

(The above is wishful thinking on my part!!)

May your wishes come true!  We had an upsell from a very forward balcony to a midship mini-suite on a a 10 day Christmas cruise on the Crown Princess for $129 per person.  We didn't think twice about that!

12 hours ago, erin6494 said:

We took the upgrade for that cruise.  Our TA said it was a real good deal for that cruise.  Give them a call.

The number of "open" cabins doesn't necessarily mean there are a lot of unsold cabins. It could just be a lot of unassigned guarantees that Princess is waiting to assign. We once went from an obstructed view guarantee to a cabin with a balcony. It was our best upgrade ever. We have had a couple of upsell offers. We took one from a balcony to a full suite for a 10-night cruise. That was wonderful.

I was offered an upsell from a balcony (BD, aft Caribe deck) to a minisuite but turned it down.  Several weeks later, guess what happened:  a free upgrade to a minisuite.*  In what I thought was a prime location, aft and right across from the laundry room (absolutely no noise yet soooooo convenient!).  So, it can happen.  I wish you good luck!

*If Princess is offering upsells to wean people off expecting free upgrades, then they really should be more careful than to offer free upgrades to those who have turned down upsells for the same cruise.  The only takeaway I got from that experience was to keep turning down upsells! 

Upsell was still available 🙂

I had checked several times and there was one balcony left on Caribe (I knew the balcony would be a bit larger.)

I am so excited to stare at the ocean from my very own chair.

Thank you all for your thoughts and input,

Erin

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, erin6494 said:

Upsell was still available 🙂

I had checked several times and there was one balcony left on Caribe (I knew the balcony would be a bit larger.)

I am so excited to stare at the ocean from my very own chair.

Thank you all for your thoughts and input,

Erin

What ended up being to offer per person per day? 

Sounds like a win! We are in an AFT corner balcony, so we would never move, unless they could get us an aft balcony haha 

Same as the original offer ($179 pp)  The message specifically says that they will not negotiate the price (which may or may not be true but I didn't want to try.)

I am pretty sure we will get $25/day of enjoyment from the balcony and I am not sure that I could have expected a better deal.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why you did not think that was a good deal, I would have jumped on it so fast!  Now you are on my favorite deck with a caribe balcony.  It will be very hard to be anywhere else from now on.  You will love it!  It changes the whole vibe of the cruise. You always have shade, and sun if you are on the right side of the ship.  I am jealous! Enjoy, and pinch yourself on the 3rd day for making that phone call and being lucky enough to get the deal!

• Like 2