Free Air Offer NOT WORTH THE HEADACHE

ccream

Depending on your insurance hotel meals and ground transportation should

be compensated. However it has always been my understanding that

with the insurance you pay then ask for compensation.

And some people report that they had to do the legwork themselves. Check with NCL about

their policies and insurance.

Yesterday, I booked my husband and I on a cruise for 2020 out of Venice.  We will be flying from Memphis, TN to Venice, Italy.  I chose to let NCL get my flights this time.  I told my rep that we wanted to fly Thursday night and land on Friday (cruise leaves on Sunday) and she took care of it.  She said it was $25 per person.  She also said that I am responsible for my hotel for 2 nights and for getting myself to our hotel and to the port.  NCL will get me from the cruise port to the airport for our trip home. 

Am I missing something?  I have never let the cruiselines handle my airfare, now I am worried after reading all of your posts.  

Note:  Airfare thru NCL is $990.  My getting airfare on my own is over $1500 per person.  That's a difference of over $1000.  

1 hour ago, chasinraynbowz said:

Yesterday, I booked my husband and I on a cruise for 2020 out of Venice.  We will be flying from Memphis, TN to Venice, Italy.  I chose to let NCL get my flights this time.  I told my rep that we wanted to fly Thursday night and land on Friday (cruise leaves on Sunday) and she took care of it.  She said it was $25 per person.  She also said that I am responsible for my hotel for 2 nights and for getting myself to our hotel and to the port.  NCL will get me from the cruise port to the airport for our trip home. 

Am I missing something?  I have never let the cruiselines handle my airfare, now I am worried after reading all of your posts.  

Note:  Airfare thru NCL is $990.  My getting airfare on my own is over $1500 per person.  That's a difference of over $1000.  

Sounds to me like you made a good choice.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

15 hours ago, sryan said:

I just booked a cruise today with free air promo from Denver to Orlando for $99 round trip. We are flying in a day early and NCL charged us $25 per person.  We are also flying out day after cruise for $25 per person. And we do not have to book hotel through NCL.  Hopefully it all goes well!

We did the same. No way I would fly in the day of.  Airlines are too unpredictable.  

On 3/25/2019 at 7:45 AM, ccream said:

Booked the March 3, 2019 cruise on the Breakaway because they were offering free air from Bradley Int'l in CT to MSY in New Orleans. Typically like to fly down the night before and give ourselves plenty of time, but offer only allowed for departure-day flights. They originally booked us on 6 am flight out of CT, with a layover in Atlanta, in New Orleans by 11:30 am. 4 am day of departure we received an email that the flight was delayed until noon. Was able to get rebooked on an earlier flight (10:30 am), departing Atlanta by 1:30 arriving at MSY by 2:30 (cutting it very close for 4 pm departure). 

Once we arrived in MSY it was close to 3, and there was a ground stop due to a lightning storm. There were two reps from Norwegian who told a group of about 30 of us who had been delayed from different parts of the country due to weather that if we wanted to make the ship we needed to leave our luggage behind for the week. NO offer to contact the ship to explain the situation, NO offering to help us in any way whatsoever. Just... if you want to make the ship we need to leave now without any of your luggage and hope that when you get back to the airport next week your luggage is still here.

As you can imagine this angered quite a few passengers who demanded they get on the phone with someone. Our saving grace was the bus driver on the transfer. He came in and calmed everyone down and said the ship wasn't going anywhere, that he was in contact with the port, and that we could wait for our luggage. He did everything in his power to make sure we all made it to the ship with our luggage and we arrived on board at about 4:55 pm. Was disgusted by the two women who initially "greeted" us and made us feel like it was our fault the weather prevented us from being on time.

My suggestion to the Norwegian spies reading this is that if you're going to offer free air, only offer direct flights, or have a package deal where you fly guests down the night before and put them up in a hotel. Would save passengers and staff a lot of aggravation. 

your idea might be a good one but it will not fly and no pun intended. Of course if they are going to offer free or discounted air it is going to be the cheapest way they can. I know, from past experience all cruise lines do this. Been there, done that and I do agree, for most of us it isn't worth the hassle.  

On 3/26/2019 at 5:42 AM, wilsonhold@gmail.com said:

We are booked on a 15 day cruise next year on the Star from Santiago, Chile to Port Canaveral that included air with Ncl. US air carriers charge a lot of money for  one way air flights. Ncl flights costs of 499 from our city is over 1/2 off any available fares advertised.

But the extra money to book a  night would cost us including deviation/hotel fees close to 500 dollars.. and with our first port we visit is under 100 miles from our embarkment point, we may be willing to risk the scenario of missing our first day on the cruise.

So does anyone know  if it worst case happenned and we arrive in South America  late,what would be NCL's responsibilities to get us onto the ship.. we decided to use ncl insurance for added protection.. so we believe we should be covered.. and  assume hotel, meals and ground transportation would be provided..  any experiences?

If the flight is a little late and your air/transfer is booked thru Ncl, they'll hold the boat for you as they did with the situation above similar to what they do for their tours. Their tours guarantee that the boat won't leave if it arrives late, the air/transfer to the boat is NOT guaranteed. The boats build in time for incidentals so you're not impacting other passengers. In that sense, they're working with you. If the flight arrives several hours late, they won't wait. They can't penalize the others passengers. If you don't have a backup plan, it will be dependent on the quality of the Ncl rep. Hopefully you'll get an Ncl rep that is sympathetic. The Ncl rep should have recommendations. Most everything else is up to you (don't forget to call the insurance company ASAP or else they won't pay). I had a similar situation happen to me.  We missed the 1st night/morning of our trip in a non-English speaking country and had to pay for our transfer which was reimbursed by insurance. It was STRESSFUL but a few hours after we got there, the stress was gone and we enjoyed the rest of our vacation. It sounds like you've weighed the flight options. Research what it would take to get to your 2nd port then make your decision. Most of the time I fly in a day in advance but I have an upcoming cruise with Ncl where I'll be flying in that day using their air/transfer. 

Edited by Cruise4Twos
added information at the end

On 3/25/2019 at 11:43 AM, newty25 said:

I think that's what American charges to change the flight. Once the flight is in my name, I can change it and pay the change fee.

If not, I'll pay for my own airfare. Whichever is cheaper.

You do not own the air reservation even though it is in your name.

NCL owns it and when you go onto the airlines sites the only thing you can do is pick your seat. You cannot change or modify it.

I tried. Even called but I was told to call NCL as they are the owner of the ticket.

24 minutes ago, thetaro said:

The free airline offer is not even Free and is nothing but hassles.

Would you mind speaking on the hassle that you had?

I do agree that not only is their free airline offer not free, the whole "free at sea" program is not free. 

The problem is that without the air program, they're overpriced in comparison to their competition.

Edited by Cruise4Twos

Just now, Cruise4Twos said:

Would you mind speaking on the hassle that you had?

no, but I compare most of the price they offer and I don't find much savings.

You are more likely to take the cheapest route with a stop-over and a terrible timing (6 am first flight out)

You also risk missing the cruise by flying in on the same day which I will never do. It's simply too much hassle for very little benefit. 

14 minutes ago, thetaro said:

no, but I compare most of the price they offer and I don't find much savings.

You are more likely to take the cheapest route with a stop-over and a terrible timing (6 am first flight out)

You also risk missing the cruise by flying in on the same day which I will never do. It's simply too much hassle for very little benefit. 

For the savings, it depends on the cruise. Some are (some examples are listed on this discussion), some aren't with the air. Without the air, they're too high. I'll use other cruise lines.

You can fly out the day b4 w/out their hotels on some flights for $50/pp extra.

I typically fly in the day b4.

I've already experienced a miss so when I do decide to fly in the that day, I have a backup plan ready and use insurance.

Edited by Cruise4Twos
grammar

I booked BA in August, flying from Newark to MIA. 4 people.  Airfare from EWR-MIA is typically $350pp, which would be $1400 total, give or take.  If I backed out the $350pp, it would be approximately the same as the sailaway rate, and at that rate, it is more cost effective for me to have booked the Free at Sea with the free airfare, plus I get the beverage package and taking the dining package.  Totally worth it for me, financially.

In addition, we are coming in the day before, they changed their "air deviation" fare to only $25pp.  I am on my own for my hotel, as well as getting to the ship to the day of.  They still are charging me and getting me transfers from the ship to the airport ($16pp).  Totally worth it in my opinion.  Flights from EWR-MIA and back are pretty much ALL non-stop.  Just hoping I can get on Southwest, so I can save $25/bag!!!!

We are doing the Mexican Riviera cruise out of Los Angeles in April and chose the "Free Air", yet it's anything but "Free Air."  We also paid the air deviation fee ($50 more per person)  and opted to arrive for some local sightseeing 2 days before our cruise departs.... I emailed their Air Dept.,per recommendation of the NCL agent who booked our arrangements, gave them the non stop (both ways)flights I had researched a few days later when my E Docs were ready, to which they had used the itinerary I had requested.  We are flying cross country.....from NC to CA....and the "Free Airfare" was far from being free.  Passengers 1 and 2 were supposedly discounted tickets around $250 a piece and passengers 3 and 4 were like $575.  Opting for the air deviation  was another $50 per person.  Next time we book I believe we will opt to book airfare on our own and then choose either the free wi-fi  or one of the other "freebies" instead.       

12 hours ago, Lara1008 said:

We are doing the Mexican Riviera cruise out of Los Angeles in April and chose the "Free Air", yet it's anything but "Free Air."  We also paid the air deviation fee ($50 more per person)  and opted to arrive for some local sightseeing 2 days before our cruise departs.... I emailed their Air Dept.,per recommendation of the NCL agent who booked our arrangements, gave them the non stop (both ways)flights I had researched a few days later when my E Docs were ready, to which they had used the itinerary I had requested.  We are flying cross country.....from NC to CA....and the "Free Airfare" was far from being free.  Passengers 1 and 2 were supposedly discounted tickets around $250 a piece and passengers 3 and 4 were like $575.  Opting for the air deviation  was another $50 per person.  Next time we book I believe we will opt to book airfare on our own and then choose either the free wi-fi  or one of the other "freebies" instead.       

When I booked on 3/4/19 I was not allowed to substitute a so-called freebie in place of the air.  In my room category it was 2 options plus air or 2 options with no air.  When I looked at other NCL cruises, it was the same. You may be able to strike a deal with NCL if call them. Someone mentioned getting $100 off if you didn't use the air.

On 3/25/2019 at 5:59 AM, beerman2 said:

5) is it fair/equitable to the 3,000 other pax who did make it on time to delay the cruise?

In a word...yes!  Though I would not turn over control of my travel arrangements to a third party, in the case of NCL making the arrangements, there should be some sort of reasonable departure grace period for delays.  I can’t quantify “reasonable” but I’ve certainly been delayed far longer than 55 minutes for other situations brought on by NCL themselves. If they are unwilling to accommodate requests to arrive a day ahead then they should wait for the passenger who followed the plan made for them. 

If im one of those fellow passengers doing the waiting and I’m already aboard with a drink in hand, then my vacation isn’t delayed. Just my opinion. 

8 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

In a word...yes!  Though I would not turn over control of my travel arrangements to a third party, in the case of NCL making the arrangements, there should be some sort of reasonable departure grace period for delays.  I can’t quantify “reasonable” but I’ve certainly been delayed far longer than 55 minutes for other situations brought on by NCL themselves. If they are unwilling to accommodate requests to arrive a day ahead then they should wait for the passenger who followed the plan made for them. 

If im one of those fellow passengers doing the waiting and I’m already aboard with a drink in hand, then my vacation isn’t delayed. Just my opinion. 

They build in some time for incidentals which is why the original post person was able to make the ship b4 embarkation. They will not delay past the point that they can't make it to the next port on time. 

The first part is what is a reasonable time to wait, it may depend on where and when your first port is. From what I have seen is they are now allowing  1 or 2 days prior for a fee of 25.00 or 50.00 and you are responsible for your hotel and transfer to the ship. Is it a good deal? Really depends on what you can get the airfare at by yourself. As seen on this thread it sometime works and sometimes doesn't. We tried and priced it and decided no but to be honest if airfare goes up 200.00 pp we gambled and lost and that was because there is 4 of us and I would have to rebook. If it was just 2 of us it would be a no brainer to take the free airfare and stay 2 days before(which I probably will do anyway).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thetaro said:

I don't think people would be annoyed if the ship waits a couple of hours, as long as it arrives at the next port on time.

Gambling addicts, alcoholics and shopaholics would be extremely annoyed when this happens.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 7:30 PM, Pens fan said:

I really just wish NCL would forgo this promotion.  We all know nothing is actually free.  They have built the cost into the cruise fare, as they do with all of their promotions.   I'd never let a cruise line book our air for me.  We prefer to be in control of that ourselves.  I wish they would just skip the air promos and go back to offering OBC instead, as it's something we would actually use.

I actually wish they would do away with all of the promotions.  The price difference between a sail-away balcony and one where you get to pick a category is crazy. We don't want any of the promos, so the choice is, pay for things we don't want so that we can pick our cabin, or take the luck of the draw with a sail-away category.  I wish there was a $75 fee or something over the sail-away price where you can pick a cabin number, but opt for no promos.