Strong Cologne on board

Jasonmom

How do you feel about people wearing strong cologne on board?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about people wearing strong cologne on board?

• People should be allowed to do what they want.
    • They should have to walk the plank.

Given that probably less than one percent of people who cruise probably tune into this site the chances of securing change is fairly low.

We do not like scents. But we see absolutely no way of controlling it or controlling someone else's habits when it comes to these items.

2 minutes ago, iancal said:

Given that probably less than one percent of people who cruise probably tune into this site the chances of securing change is fairly low.

We do not like scents. But we see absolutely no way of controlling it or controlling someone else's habits when it comes to these items.

I agree, I don't like perfume that is way to strong, so I just walk away, because I have no control over what someone else does.

If we ban perfume, then how about smelly food, etc.  I'm sorry some are allergic or don't like certain smells, but why should everyone else have to live in your world with no perfume, no smelly food, etc.  There are certain food smells that I literally hate, so when I smell it, I simply walk away and if someone has too much perfume on, I simply walk away.  If I was allergic to the degree that it was a hazard to my life, I certainly wouldn't go on a cruise, out to a restaurant, out to a mall, etc., without an epi pen or not go at all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JMorris271 said:

Oxymoron

Well, if you were intending to call me a moron you should be aware that oxymoron doesn't mean what you think it means.

And if you meant it some other way you still don't know what the word means as there was no contradiction in terms in the message you addressed this to.

1 hour ago, NLH Arizona said:

I agree, I don't like perfume that is way to strong, so I just walk away, because I have no control over what someone else does.

If we ban perfume, then how about smelly food, etc.  I'm sorry some are allergic or don't like certain smells, but why should everyone else have to live in your world with no perfume, no smelly food, etc.  There are certain food smells that I literally hate, so when I smell it, I simply walk away and if someone has too much perfume on, I simply walk away.  If I was allergic to the degree that it was a hazard to my life, I certainly wouldn't go on a cruise, out to a restaurant, out to a mall, etc., without an epi pen or not go at all.

Thank you for this post.  I totally agree.

7 hours ago, mafig said:

I'm glad this thread came up because I have a question.

On our recent cruise a woman came onto our crowded elevator and then immediately started wheezing and complaining about all the perfume.  Her husband asked her if she wanted to get off but she said no.

When her floor came, I watched her get off and within a second (not a minute a second) she stopped and appeared normal.  For those of you who have reactions to scents, do those reactions come about immediately?  Do they go away immediately also?

For my wife it is neurological and yes comes on mmediately but takes a while to pass.

I think that if someone has an issue with what someone else is doing or wearing, then if reasonable it should be politely brought to the other persons attention. In terms of smell, that is really an individual threshold over what is too much and what is not enough. Friends would know and cater for their friends needs as for strangers , it maybe best to avoid those people rather than bring it up .

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I think that if someone has an issue with what someone else is doing or wearing, then if reasonable it should be politely brought to the other persons attention. In terms of smell, that is really an individual threshold over what is too much and what is not enough. Friends would know and cater for their friends needs as for strangers , it maybe best to avoid those people rather than bring it up .

It is best to avoid those people. If one has an issue with what someone else is doing or wearing it should be brought to the attention of the closest person in a position of authority (e.g. the maitre d' in the MDR.) Going up to complete strangers to complain about their conduct, dress or odor risks a very unpleasant response.  

Edited by K32682
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

So perhaps you can answer a question :).  How does a man politely tell a lady (stranger) that her perfume is both awful and overwhelming?  or it could be the same with a man who douses himself in some awful cologne.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had season tickets for our local NBA team a few years ago.  The woman who had tickets next to mine was an over-cologner.  I suffered through the first game, with a headache as my reward.  At the end of the game, I introduced myself as we would be seeing each other many times over the season.  I did say "may I ask a favor of you?" and told her I have a problem with scented things and cologne.  I asked her if she could not wear her lovely perfume on game nights since we would be sitting together.  She was actually understanding and we had good times at the games after that.  

At work, we have fresh floral arrangements at the Front Desk.  I had to ask that no lillies were put in them - within 15 minutes of having that arrangement at my end of the Desk, my nose totally stuffed up and I had a headache.  My manager put in the request with out florist - no more lillies. 

I call over-cologners "wooly mammoths"; so stinky that they try to cover their musk with something else...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

So perhaps you can answer a question :).  How does a man politely tell a lady (stranger) that her perfume is both awful and overwhelming?  or it could be the same with a man who douses himself in some awful cologne.

Hank

Like I said, if a friend, then they will likely be accommodating but if a stranger, best to just get some distance.

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I had season tickets for our local NBA team a few years ago.  The woman who had tickets next to mine was an over-cologner.  I suffered through the first game, with a headache as my reward.  At the end of the game, I introduced myself as we would be seeing each other many times over the season.  I did say "may I ask a favor of you?" and told her I have a problem with scented things and cologne.  I asked her if she could not wear her lovely perfume on game nights since we would be sitting together.  She was actually understanding and we had good times at the games after that.  

At work, we have fresh floral arrangements at the Front Desk.  I had to ask that no lillies were put in them - within 15 minutes of having that arrangement at my end of the Desk, my nose totally stuffed up and I had a headache.  My manager put in the request with out florist - no more lillies. 

I call over-cologners "wooly mammoths"; so stinky that they try to cover their musk with something else...

We have numerous people at work who have reactions such as this. Lavender is one such smell.

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

How does a man politely tell a lady (stranger) that her perfume is both awful and overwhelming?  or it could be the same with a man who douses himself in some awful cologne.

There really isn't a polite way and even if there were it doesn't solve the immediate problem because he/she isn't going to magically become less odorous.  The only three options are they leave the immediate vicinity, you leave the immediate vicinity or you put up with the smell.  If it's a work situation or one where you will regularly encounter them telling them about your sensitivity to cologne and a request to not use it in future is about the best you can do. 

2 hours ago, K32682 said:

There really isn't a polite way and even if there were it doesn't solve the immediate problem because he/she isn't going to magically become less odorous.  The only three options are they leave the immediate vicinity, you leave the immediate vicinity or you put up with the smell.  If it's a work situation or one where you will regularly encounter them telling them about your sensitivity to cologne and a request to not use it in future is about the best you can do. 

Agreed, distance is the best thing to start off with, and you cannot expect them to go away.