Strong Cologne on board

Jasonmom

How do you feel about people wearing strong cologne on board?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about people wearing strong cologne on board?

• People should be allowed to do what they want.
    • They should have to walk the plank.

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

Too much policing going on. :classic_rolleyes:

If people would use the brains they were born with to think about others instead of going through life thinking only of themselves, or worse, not thinking at all, policing wouldn't be needed. As it is, too many people think they have the right to do whatever they want whenever they want. Their right to do something should end at other's rights not to be affected by it. Period. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

5 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

And next a poll about those who don’t use enough??

Mrs Gut has a neurological condition and smell can be a trigger, but WE have to deal with it, not impose restrictions on everyone else.

This. 

I am sorry people have infirmities, but it is their issue to deal with.  It doesn't give them the right to control other people.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SantaFeFan said:

If people would use the brains they were born with to think about others instead of going through life thinking only of themselves, or worse, not thinking at all, policing wouldn't be needed. As it is, too many people think they have the right to do whatever they want whenever they want. Their right to do something should end at other's rights not to be affected by it. Period. 

My point is too many extremes in either direction...I tend to keep in the middle lane and not get in anyone's way...and will pull over when necessary....It's never my way or the highway.

I have worn cologne or perfume all my life, buy quality ones... it is the cheap one are the problem.   Folks who have problems, this life... what do you do when you are not a ship?   Can't control the world.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pris993 said:

I have worn cologne or perfume all my life, buy quality ones... it is the cheap one are the problem.   Folks who have problems, this life... what do you do when you are not a ship?   Can't control the world.

That is so true and we avoid as many situations as possible.  We often change what we are doing or where we are going because of others.  Like those who smoke, we don't care if you do, just don't make us breathe it.  People can do whatever they like, I have no problem with that, as long as it doesn't affect others. Making others sick is not your right.  Society's view on smoking has changed over the years.  We can only hope this will happen regarding chemical smells.  I am hopeful that will be the case as more people become aware and educated on the topic.  We already have some offices and schools which are scent free.  I hope we make all places safer for everyone to enjoy.

I was taught that the correct way to wear any spray perfume or cologne is to spray it into the air and walk through the mist. That is all that is needed and the scent should not be noticeable to anyone who isn't standing right next to me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pris993 said:

I have worn cologne or perfume all my life, buy quality ones... it is the cheap one are the problem.  

Sad to say, but that's not always the case. Last month, I passed a nicely-dressed older lady in the supermarket aisle. She was wearing a very expensive, classic scent -- TONS of it! I was actually embarrassed for her. She probably had NO idea just how heavy-handed she had gotten with the atomizer! Although I have always worn scent -- and will continue to do so -- I would never want to be 'that' person!😨

4 hours ago, otisalg said:

That is so true and we avoid as many situations as possible.  We often change what we are doing or where we are going because of others.  Like those who smoke, we don't care if you do, just don't make us breathe it.  People can do whatever they like, I have no problem with that, as long as it doesn't affect others. Making others sick is not your right.  Society's view on smoking has changed over the years.  We can only hope this will happen regarding chemical smells.  I am hopeful that will be the case as more people become aware and educated on the topic.  We already have some offices and schools which are scent free.  I hope we make all places safer for everyone to enjoy.

I was one who voted for cologne. I wear cologne occasionally but use it sparingly. My husband enjoys the scent when he stands close to me, but can't smell it a short distance away. I guess I would think if people are standing that close to me they are bothered by the scent then they are likely standing too close. And I am big on personal space so will be trying to back away.😟. That's another reason I prefer to use stairs not lifts.

Scented oils and perfumes have been used by mankind for centuries. I will agree people who overuse it make it unpleasant but when used subtly I think it is okay, it would be sad if it was banned from everywhere.

• Like 2

Scents, good and bad, are a part of life. BO, urine/feces, and post cigarette smoking odors are enough to get me to move. Can’t say I’ve ever been that offended by perfume or fabric softener scents.

for people that have asthma and other medical conditions triggered by scents; I would think that oils be an every day issue, not really a cruising issue. People don’t wait their whole lives to go onto a cruise to start over applying fabric softener or perfume. Every time you go outside in public you are surrounded by uncontrolled scents.

Edited by sanger727

I'm glad this thread came up because I have a question.

On our recent cruise a woman came onto our crowded elevator and then immediately started wheezing and complaining about all the perfume.  Her husband asked her if she wanted to get off but she said no.

When her floor came, I watched her get off and within a second (not a minute a second) she stopped and appeared normal.  For those of you who have reactions to scents, do those reactions come about immediately?  Do they go away immediately also?

12 minutes ago, mafig said:

I'm glad this thread came up because I have a question.

On our recent cruise a woman came onto our crowded elevator and then immediately started wheezing and complaining about all the perfume.  Her husband asked her if she wanted to get off but she said no.

When her floor came, I watched her get off and within a second (not a minute a second) she stopped and appeared normal.  For those of you who have reactions to scents, do those reactions come about immediately?  Do they go away immediately also?

no they do not go away immediately..at least mine don't .   I need a good 5 minutes of fresh air( preferably  not A/c  fresh, either..but real air)  that being said, if I go from a crowded elevator reeking of  something and  step out into the  vestibule, my wheezing will stop immediately as I am no longer ingesting the particles.  but I am not fully recovered for a few minutes.  

• Like 1

I don't wear cologne, am not allergic to scents but have frequently found the overly fragrant obnoxious. There isn't much one can do when in immediate proximity of someone drenched in Charlie or Brut and shaming them doesn't solve the immediate problem.  You can wish for people to be more considerate but even if the vast majority are all it takes is one or two to befoul a room with cheap perfume. 

What isn't apparent is a solution other than an entirely scent-free ship.  Even if one were contemplated, scent sensitivities vary and for some extend beyond cologne to include soaps, deodorant, laundry detergent and fabric softeners.  Where is the line drawn and if it is drawn who shall enforce it and how?  It's unlikely any line is going to assign crew to have a sniff of each passenger as part of the boarding process.   

Edited by K32682

16 hours ago, pris993 said:

Consider the cigar smoker who explains, I only smoke expensive cigars and it is only the cheap one's that stink.  Even expensive scents can trigger nasty (and sometimes life threatening) asthma attacks.

Hank

• Haha 1

I think that the busybodies have enough on their plates dealing with attire and deportment.

If they add scent to the list I suspect that they will have to increase their numbers.

Two at the door.  One to check on scent, the other to check on attire.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Consider the cigar smoker who explains, I only smoke expensive cigars and it is only the cheap one's that stink.  Even expensive scents can trigger nasty (and sometimes life threatening) asthma attacks.

Hank

Considering yours and others comments here, all I can say I have never had any complaints about my scent.  By contrast, I have noticed men's cologne and aftershave is far more offensive, I leave at that.  

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

I don't wear cologne, am not allergic to scents but have frequently found the overly fragrant obnoxious. There isn't much one can do when in immediate proximity of someone drenched in Charlie or Brut and shaming them doesn't solve the immediate problem.  You can wish for people to be more considerate but even if the vast majority are all it takes is one or two to befoul a room with cheap perfume. 

What isn't apparent is a solution other than an entirely scent-free ship.  Even if one were contemplated, scent sensitivities vary and for some extend beyond cologne to include soaps, deodorant, laundry detergent and fabric softeners.  Where is the line drawn and if it is drawn who shall enforce it and how?  It's unlikely any line is going to assign crew to have a sniff of each passenger as part of the boarding process.   

Considering the cruises sell scents, I doubt they will change any policy here.  

• Like 1

My friend has COPD as well as asthma. She cannot handle smoke or strong scents (including air fresheners and such). We never wear any scents when around her nor do we wear scents or smoke anything in any confined spaces (including cruise ships). It is our preference to attempt to be mindful of personal behaviors that can negatively impact another's health.

I have seen cats on flights (comfort animals). I have wondered about the health of a person on that same flight who might have a severe allergy to cat dander (my nephew has such an allergy)  ... is one person's health/comfort more important than that of another?

Interesting side note:

There is a pharmacy in Florence that is reputed to be the oldest operating pharmacy in europe (Santa Maria Novella Pharmacy) - it is amazing (the building alone has incredible interiors). It sells very expensive perfume and one can still purchase the same scents that the Medici used (very expensive). Back in those days (Medici), hygiene was rather spotty and fragrances were used to mask unpleasant body odors. Hence, strong scents were used to camouflage the malodorous folk.

6 minutes ago, pris993 said:

Considering yours and others comments here, all I can say I have never had any complaints about my scent.  By contrast, I have noticed men's cologne and aftershave is far more offensive, I leave at that.  

Many folks (me included) would not normally complain directly to another passenger as some of us were raised with certain rules of etiquette.  It would be the same if you had very bad body odor!  Most folks would not say a word, but might consider taking evasive action :).  And I would not disagree with what you say about men's cologne which is also something I prefer to avoid.  I have an old friend who thinks he is the "great white hunter" and he likes to wear Tink's #10 Skunk Scent when he is out bow and arrow hunting.  To him, that stuff smells good (and to everyone else he smells like a skunk).  The thing about any scent is that what smells wonderful to some, reeks to others.

Hank

Why stop at cologne?   We have discarded moisturizers because of scent.   

You could add hairspray, deodorants, after shave, face creams, moisturizers to the list.  No doubt there are more.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, iancal said:

I think that the busybodies have enough on their plates dealing with attire and deportment.

If they add scent to the list I suspect that they will have to increase their numbers.

Two at the door.  One to check on scent, the other to check on attire.

So, if I passed gas in the elevator, you wouldn't care since you apparently aren't a "busy body"? How about if I never showered or used deodorant, rarely changed my clothing, and only brushed my teeth once a week? Would you be fine with standing next to me in a crowded elevator? 

I find it equally repulsive those people who have a "holier than thou" attitude towards people who prefer not to be inundated with whatever scent created by the people around us and who call us names for the simple reason we prefer not to be forced to endure whatever you smell like at the moment.  

Personally, I don't use scented soap, deodorant, hair care products, or aftershave. I prefer not to offend people. To me it is a simple question of consideration for others. Clearly for some, being considerate is a lost art. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

23 hours ago, wwcruisers said:

Sorry -- but the LAST thing we need onboard is the Perfume Police! What we DO need is for folks to use some consideration and common sense, when applying various scented products. A little of that (like perfume) would go a long way!

I was not suggesting that we need one or want one... my point  is this is a lot about nothing... if you want to find something to be offended by on a cruise ship... then maybe you need to do another type of vacation.    Scents, what people wear, how loud folks might be, smoking, how much food they take at the buffet ... are not big concerns on my list on a cruise.  With cruise lines selliing scents... the whole thing is counter productive to  the business model.   That was my point.   

• Like 1