Southampton hotel pre cruise recommendations

gillyg

It would help those giving advice, if you let us know if you wish to park at the hotel whilst away, or perhaps need to be near the railway station or airport.

I am sure you will be given plenty of good pointers with a little more info.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LadyL1 said:

It would help those giving advice, if you let us know if you wish to park at the hotel whilst away, or perhaps need to be near the railway station or airport.

I am sure you will be given plenty of good pointers with a little more info.

OOh yes, good point! We will be parking at the terminal but this would give an easy start to our holiday and take the stress out of driving down from Yorkshire on cruise day, worrying about the traffic the whole time!!

I agree about not wanting to drive down from Yorkshire on the day of departure? (Where are you in W Yorks? I had relatives in Pudsey)

For staying in Southampton, I like the Premier Inn West Quay. If you book early, the price is good. It's a short walk to a mall in case you forgot some essential or other. And there's a good mix of restaurants nearby. When I book a TA, my next step is to go to the Premier website and book the hotel for the night before.

I have booked again for the Hilton Ageas Bowl, we stayed there last year, but this is mainly because of the excellent parking at the hotel. The car park felt very secure with CCTV, and it was just so easy to park up, stay the night at the hotel, which was very good with a good breakfast and then a taxi transfer to and from  the port included in the price.

But obviously this will be a bit far out if you don't need the parking.

We are also on Q.V. in June and we always come down the day before the cruise. We have stayed in many hotels in Southampton and also some outside of the city. This time our cruise goes on a Sunday so we have decided to extend the holiday and have booked a hotel in the new forest for 2 nights instead of the usual one night.

In Southampton we like Chilworth Manor on the edge of the city which often has some good deals. 

I have stayed in Southampton precruise at least once a year the last seven years and I used to stay at the Grand Harbour and now at  Harbour Hotel in the Ocean Village.  The Grand Harbour is now Leonardo Royal Hotel Southampton Grand Harbour and I have not stayed there since change.  The Grand Harbour location is great to go to the large mall, as within walking distance.  But since shortly after it opened I have been staying at the Harbour hotel and like the rooms better and you still have restaurants in the area or not that long of a drive to shops.  

My husband and I have booked room2 Hometel for a precruise night.  We will be arriving by train and taking a cab to the port in the morning.  Does anyone have any experience with this hotel?  Thank you!

2 hours ago, Gary999 said:

Southampton Harbour Hotel & Spa in Ocean Village. More expensive than the Premier Inn but much more luxurious. 

But I wouldn't recommend there at all. We stayed in November and couldn't get the air conditioning working and so had a warm stuffy room all night. Mattress was hard, pillows were hard. Hardly slept a wink. Only one lift was working and so had to wait ages. Room serice food was lukewarm. About half an inch of "free" sherry and gin in the decanters. Not satisfactory at all for the price we paid. Vastly over-priced even if everything was okay.

We have been offered a free night as compensation but we wouldn't stay there again even for free.

I've stayed in the Novotel, the Ibis Southampton Centre, the Premier Inn West Quay and, some time ago, the Grand Harbour.   Of these, the only two I would stay in again are the Novotel and the Premier Inn West Quay (which I have on multiple occasions and am booked again twice this year).   The Ibis was awful - I've stayed and worked in better Youth Hostels.

We always stay in Premier Inns nationwide.This year on 4th Sept,the Holiday Inn was cheaper and included breakfast and harbour view room £150.No brainer for us and 350 yards from where our ship docks.This date clashes with the boatshow,so all prices and availability are topsy turvy anyway.

9 hours ago, showingdiva said:

, the Ibis Southampton Centre, .   The Ibis was awful - I've stayed and worked in better Youth Hostels.

I stayed there last year for a night on my tod for work and found it okay. The rooms were very hot as the A/C was not working, but apart from that it was fine.

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

We always stay in Premier Inns nationwide.This year on 4th Sept,the Holiday Inn was cheaper and included breakfast and harbour view room £150.

We stayed there 2 years ago and looked out over the harbour. Breakfast was fine, we ate there in the evening as we could not be bothered to venture far and for the price it was fine. We even got a voucher for a drink each when we arrived. All in all it was fine.

1 hour ago, ToadOfToadHall said:

We stayed there 2 years ago and looked out over the harbour. Breakfast was fine, we ate there in the evening as we could not be bothered to venture far and for the price it was fine. We even got a voucher for a drink each when we arrived. All in all it was fine.

Cheers,I googled the menu,not posh,but pub grub.Suits us fine,Brian.

Edited by brian1

8 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Cheers,I googled the menu,not posh,but pub grub.Suits us fine,Brian.

That's exactly how I would describe it as well, pub grub. It was more than fine for what we wanted and for the price you could not knock it.

This was the view from our hotel window. You could have walked to the QM2 but we were on the QV !

20170622_083459.jpg

2 hours ago, MCC retired said:

Which Holiday Inn are we discussing here? Trip Advisor shows 3 in Southampton 🤔

Look at a map view. There's a Holiday Inn near Mayflower park. Since he mentioned a harbour view, I think brian1 was referring to that one. Toad's photo has to be from that hotel, as it's the only Holiday Inn that's close to the water. 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder