MSC Preziosa - Butcher's Cut/Eataly replaced?

JPMoore

I've just noticed that on MSC Preziosa's profile on the website that it's now showing an image of Butcher's Cut - appears to have replaced Ristorante Italia.

Quite a shame! I enjoyed perhaps one of the best meals I've ever had in Ristorante Italia on Divina. I wonder if Eataly in general is being replaced both on Preziosa or on the fleet as a whole? I noticed that it's completely disappeared from this page

Butcherscut-speciality-restaurants.jpg

Edited by JPMoore
New title

Eataly is also being replaced on Meraviglia.

Butcher's Cut is very popular - there've been mostly positive comments on here about it.  We've eaten in BC on Meraviglia and Splendida and loved it each time.  Never went to Eataly;  neither the menu nor the decor appealed.

• Like 1

I agree that the decor (especially in the main Eataly restaurant - not so much Ristorante Italia) was a bit strange at first glance. I *think* what they were going for was a stripped-down, casual ambience with a key focus being on the food itself. The idea being that it's authentic market style eating where you'd buy straight from the source, then simply sit down wherever's convenient to savour what you've bought. 

Whilst I loved this, I can fully see how this doesn't necessarily convey the typical speciality restaurant experience on board a cruise ship. That said, however, I don't cruise with MSC because I want 'typical' - there's plenty of great steak restaurants on land.

• Like 1

On Divina a couple months ago Ristorante Italia was now only a name on the side entrance to what has taken over the space, Eataly Marketplace.  Almost two years ago I tried to eat at Ristorante Italia only to be constantly told it wasn't open, I never did see anyone eating there the entire cruise.  The menu at Risorante Italia looked good and I probably would have enjoyed the meal.  Unfortunately after a less than memorable meal at the new Eataly Marketplace I'd be happy if they converted all of them to Butcher's Cut.

15 hours ago, Beamafar said:

....Butcher's Cut is very popular - there've been mostly positive comments on here about it.  We've eaten in BC on Meraviglia and Splendida and loved it each time.  Never went to Eataly;  neither the menu nor the decor appealed.

Agree entirely, on both counts.

If this is true, I'm very pleased indeed. Much prefer a steakhouse style experience - for variety, if not anything else - as the mainstream fare has a heavy Italian influence in the first place. I always found it too much that there was an Italian speciality restaurant as well - and it was always empty!

Although I was still going to use my Black Card meal in Eataly, I'm looking forward to it even more now that it will be BC. 😄

• Like 1

I was thrilled to see the Tex Mex on Splendida replaced with Butcher's Cut;  it would be the one positive feature onboard that ship that would influence my decision on whether to sail onboard her again (having been on her 4 times already, I'd much prefer to try out the newer ships.  However, she's doing an itinerary next year that really interests me; Butcher's Cut onboard puts a tick in the box for doing it).

• Like 1

Got to say I had a soft spot for that Tex Mex. Can't remember much about the food but we nearly missed the boat (Fantasia) after a day out in Genoa that day when we got a bit too 'adventurous.' By some blessing from heaven, a taxi materialised in front of us and we would have paid the driver whatever he wanted to get us back to the ship. Made it with 15 minutes to spare...

Exhausted, and feeling a bit silly, we still ploughed on and got ready for dinner etc. - we had reserved the Tex Mex and ended up pushing back the reservation - still made it and good time had by all, in the end!

The decor, styling and it always appearing empty has never enticed us into Eataly, however, we did use it for our BC meal on Preziosa and I have to say we were very pleased with the food. Galaxy on Preziosa was a major disappointment!

Very much looking forward to trying BC on Meraviglia and Splendida though.

17 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Eataly is also being replaced on Meraviglia.

Butcher's Cut is very popular - there've been mostly positive comments on here about it.  We've eaten in BC on Meraviglia and Splendida and loved it each time.  Never went to Eataly;  neither the menu nor the decor appealed.

What is it replaced with since Meraviglia already have Butchers Cut?

We didn't ate at Eataly on Meraviglia but on Divina and they had the best pizza I ever have eaten!

SC ... I believe it's being replaced with the new Spanish tapas restaurant that's already on Bellissima.  (Ah, sorry Cap'n - you got there before me.  I was typing so didn't see your post).

Cap'n ... The last meal we had in Tex Mex was on Fantasia, too (El Sombrero).  It was dire and the service was abysmal (despite the place being empty).  We weren't even offered dessert and we were so not enjoying it that we left without bothering.

MSC still has a dish from the restaurant on their menus at some stage during most cruises.  It's known as Bandera de carne mixta (basically a mixed grill).  This was what we always ordered when in Tex Mex and we love to see it on in the dining room.

I have an anecdote around this subject (with advance apologies to the OP for being off-topic):

On Splendida in YC last year, we checked the dinner menu in the TSL to see what was on offer before heading off to the other end of the ship to dine and saw that the Tex-Mex dish was on. Now, being fans of this ‘mixed grill’,  we headed off in anticipation of an enjoyable meal. However, when we sat down and were handed the menu, it was totally different, and was actually a Greek-inspired one. Not seeing anything that appealed, we decided to leave and go to the buffet. Vincenzo (asst m’D) asked what the problem was. We explained and he said “There is no Tex-Mex onboard now” to which we replied that we knew that but that the item from Tex-Mex menu was showing on the menu in the TSL. Fortunately, I had taken a photo so I was able to prove the point as he was insistent about it. He was very cross that they had the wrong menu in TSL which caused us to go all the way to the restaurant to dine and insisted on getting us anything we wanted within his power to have the chef prepare. He stressed it was his job to ensure that we were looked after, so we relented and asked for steaks. He thanked us when we were leaving for giving him the opportunity to sort it. Anyway, we went to dinner a couple of nights later, not knowing what was on the menu. To our surprise, the Tex-Mex mixed grill was on. So we had a very enjoyable meal that night!

Edited by Beamafar
  • Haha 1

On 3/31/2019 at 2:39 PM, Dr. Cocktail said:

Looking at the new deck plans, it appears that Ocean Cay (my fave on Seaside!) has replaced Eatily whereas Hola has replaced the food market.

Ah sorry - I had just seen the other thread and assumed. Thanks for checking. 🙂

On 3/30/2019 at 6:06 PM, JPMoore said:

I've just noticed that on MSC Preziosa's profile on the website that it's now showing an image of Butcher's Cut - appears to have replaced Ristorante Italia.

I've just been looking at an itinerary on Preziosa and had to come back to this thread to refresh my memory as to what Eataly was being replaced with (it had wandered off into what other ships had onboard LOL - points finger at self 😮).  This is going into the Pros column when weighing up whether to book or not.  😜

I'm now even more appreciative of the heads-up on this one, JP.  👍

• 2 weeks later...