Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

36 minutes ago, cruisergrandma said:

Did you receive the update RCCL promised for today? We are on the May 12th sailing and anxious to hear. Thanks!

I haven’t yet, but their other emails have come late in the day so I’m not concerned.  I’m not a mind reader or a fortune teller, but I do have stake in the game - I’m on the May 5th sailing.  I still feel very positive that it’s a go for us, with or without the Aqua Theater.  Some people tell me I’m a “Pollyanna”, but that’s ok, I’m trying to focus on the positive.  If we cruise without the AT, I’m ok with that too - we will still be on a cruise!  🙂

• Like 3

I'm so glad we went with the budget insurance carrier "outhouse luck". I said to my wife: "I know their office looks like a hole in the ground, but trust me" and we  ended up saving a fortune over the reputable carriers. I joke now, but I've spent the last two weeks curled up in the fetal position constantly wiping my tears off my laptop screen so I could follow this thread.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Wonder if they'll even get the damaged TV screen replaced?  So happy for the May 5th (my birthday) cruisers getting good news!  I was on Oasis in February and it was heartbreaking to see the damage!

15 hours ago, yzfmik said:

Wonder if they'll even get the damaged TV screen replaced?  So happy for the May 5th (my birthday) cruisers getting good news!  I was on Oasis in February and it was heartbreaking to see the damage!

Hoping so, that’s the our we would be able to see from our boardwalk balcony! 😁

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, rattla said:

Hoping so, that’s the our we would be able to see from our boardwalk balcony! 😁

Way back on this thread, a poster stated that the screens consist of multiple modules that can be individually replaced.

I am not sure how many were damaged, but it would not surprise me if they get it fully functioning!

June 2 sailing here!

2 hours ago, jdjaguar said:

Way back on this thread, a poster stated that the screens consist of multiple modules that can be individually replaced.

I am not sure how many were damaged, but it would not surprise me if they get it fully functioning!

June 2 sailing here!

The screen modules may not be the bottleneck. The entire frame and support structure were destroyed by the crane, so if they can re-fabricate a new frame, install it, and then re-wire and hang all of the screen modules, you may be in luck. They could also make the decision that the one remaining screen on the port side meets their immediate needs and hold off on re-installing the starboard side system until the fall dry dock.

2 minutes ago, orville99 said:

The screen modules may not be the bottleneck. The entire frame and support structure were destroyed by the crane, so if they can re-fabricate a new frame, install it, and then re-wire and hang all of the screen modules, you may be in luck. They could also make the decision that the one remaining screen on the port side meets their immediate needs and hold off on re-installing the starboard side system until the fall dry dock.

After seeing what they did to the Viking ship in a much less capable dry dock facitlity, I'd say the frame is the least of their problems. I would think sourcing the panels and getting them to Cadiz is a short time would be the bigger factor....IMHO. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, orville99 said:

The entire frame and support structure were destroyed by the crane, so if they can re-fabricate a new frame, install it, and then re-wire and hang all of the screen modules, you may be in luck.

4 hours ago, DerekB said:

I'd say the frame is the least of their problems.

I imagine a completed screen/frame could be already sitting in the production shop, waiting to be installed.  They've had 3 weeks since the incident to build it.

Edited by willde

When you consider the fact that they fabricated for replacement balcony decks in the time since the incident I would believe fabricating a frame to hold the outdoor Video board could be easily done. Outdoor video board in general on just panels that match up but they are usually made to order. I have no idea how much they are backed up but like most things in life it you are willing to pay the price needed  you  can make it happen.