Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

Several photos just posted on the book that has faces by Lloyd Marchand showing the progress and how fast they are moving along. Looks like all of the new balconies are already in place - just needing the glass and painting. Granted this is all speculation....but anyway after I saw what they did last week to the Viking ship that rammed into another ship and was in service a week later, my thoughts on how fast they can fix things like this changed a LOT! 

2 hours ago, gatour said:

I would find life boring if I was not learning things outside of my expertise.

I never knew what a cofferdam was until I started reading this thread. The video of how they replace the bearings on the azipods was fascinating. I learn something new about ships every time I read here.

• Like 2

Can I speculate?  With smoke only coming from one stack, that means she is only running engines on that side.  Which engines are running has nothing to do with anything, except that she has 3 larger engines and 3 smaller engines.

I am assuming that she has gone offshore to dispose of as much weight as possible (treated sewage, ballast water, even drinking water) and get the ship to the proper trim (almost flat from bow to stern, maybe two to three feet down by the stern) to land on the blocks.  Not sure what the draft limitation is for the dock, but remember she has to float over the blocks above the dock floor, and they may have doubled the blocks to get more clearance, as they did when they cut the engine out of her bottom, so this could affect the draft she can enter the dock at.  Cadiz likely has regulations about discharges of this type while in port.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Can I speculate?  With smoke only coming from one stack, that means she is only running engines on that side.  Which engines are running has nothing to do with anything, except that she has 3 larger engines and 3 smaller engines.

I am assuming that she has gone offshore to dispose of as much weight as possible (treated sewage, ballast water, even drinking water) and get the ship to the proper trim (almost flat from bow to stern, maybe two to three feet down by the stern) to land on the blocks.  Not sure what the draft limitation is for the dock, but remember she has to float over the blocks above the dock floor, and they may have doubled the blocks to get more clearance, as they did when they cut the engine out of her bottom, so this could affect the draft she can enter the dock at.  Cadiz likely has regulations about discharges of this type while in port.

Didn't you read the earlier post? You can't speculate! Okay all jokes aside, thank you for the insight - that makes perfect sense...even though it's going to cause someone here to have a stroke. 

10 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Your posts are probably among the least speculative here... 😎

So when MarineTraffic showed a fuel bunker alongside one or two days ago, they were probably offloading fuel?

Edited by willde

2 minutes ago, willde said:

Your posts are probably among the least speculative here... 😎

So when MarineTraffic showed a fuel bunker alongside one or two days ago, they were probably offloading fuel?

Could be, or they were loading extra diesel fuel, since the ship will run one engine even in drydock (no shipyard has enough shore power to supply a cruise ship), and while in EU ports, the ships have to burn diesel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Are tides likely relevant for this dock accommodating this ship?

1 hour ago, DerekB said:

Several photos just posted on the book that has faces by Lloyd Marchand showing the progress and how fast they are moving along. Looks like all of the new balconies are already in place - just needing the glass and painting. Granted this is all speculation....but anyway after I saw what they did last week to the Viking ship that rammed into another ship and was in service a week later, my thoughts on how fast they can fix things like this changed a LOT! 

Closed group, apparently... or I found the wrong one.

screencapture??

Edited by willde

1 hour ago, DerekB said:

Here they are.

Nice to see that work has started on the damaged balconies.

Photos by Yves C.

Yves Collin 0A.jpg

Yves Collin 0.jpg

Yves Collin 3.jpg

Yves Collin 1.jpg

Yves Collin 2.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, willde said:

Are tides likely relevant for this dock accommodating this ship?

They can be, I don't know the controlling depth of the dock, or the range of tides there.  They do typically like to bring a ship into the dock at first light, so they get a full day for inspection, but yes, tides can affect the timing.  This is different than a floating drydock, since both the dock and the ship will be affected by the tide.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

@chengkp75 ,

When they paint the primed iron is that work all by hand or do they use coatings that can be sprayed or have some kind of capture system they put up to limit voc and allow spraying of different coats?

Thanks

A

There will be some hand "striping" of a first coat primer to cover those areas not done in shop primer.  Then it is all sprayed.  The only protective devices, and this all depends on local laws, will be spray screens to keep overspray inside the dock or shipyard.  Over the shop primer they will typically spray one coat of anti-corrosive primer, and two coats of topcoat.  Some of this, depending on the type of paint (one part or two part, epoxy, polyurethane, etc) can be resprayed in a couple of hours, some requires a day between coats.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

You explained this for us a few years ago. It's the scrubber stack emitting smoke in the earlier photo. So my understanding is that more than one engine could be running.

On 6/23/2015 at 4:19 PM, chengkp75 said:

All the exhaust would come from the one scrubber exhaust. For a four inlet, 15MW unit (average of Allure's 3 x 13Mw and 3 x 18Mw engines), the inlet exhaust pipe is about 1 meter in diameter. The scrubber tower is over 3.5 meters in diameter, and the common outlet is about 1.5 meters in diameter. There are 3-way valves in the engine exhaust that will either divert the exhaust gas to the scrubber, or send it up the original uptake when the scrubber is not required.

Because the design of scrubbers requires a low gas velocity in order to get the water droplets to fall out, when a multi-inlet unit is installed, there will be a variable frequency fan installed after the scrubber to facilitate getting the exhaust gas to move up and out of the scrubber.

By the way, all of these RCI scrubbers are "hybrid" scrubbers, which means they can be operated as either open loop or closed loop as required.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pratique said:

You explained this for us a few years ago. It's the scrubber stack emitting smoke in the earlier photo. So my understanding is that more than one engine could be running.

Yes, just said the engines on one side are running.  With three engine across each engine room, three engines will go up the port stack, and three engines up the starboard stack.  And, outside of the 12 mile limit, they don't need to run the scrubber anyway, along that part of the coastline.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

I'd speculate that Richard isn't his given name, but is one he's earned. 

Maybe richardb has been heckled enough now  ☮️🍍

Edited by willde
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, DerekB said:

Didn't you read the earlier post? You can't speculate! Okay all jokes aside, thank you for the insight - that makes perfect sense...even though it's going to cause someone here to have a stroke. 

Not at all. Chengkp75's observations/speculation are based on knowledge and experience. Compare that to the WAG's pulled out of thin air without a shred of support or evidence. Those are what give me a good laugh.

Obviously there are some here trying to bait me; I'm not going to bite. Keep playing your speculation game if that makes you happy; in the end, they won't make a bit of difference. Oasis will get into dry dock when she does, she'll come out when she is finished, and she'll sail when she is ready.

Good night all, see you tomorrow.

Edited by richardb