Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

9 minutes ago, steamboats said:

No, Oasis was in Rotterdam back in 2014. Allure was in Cadiz in 2015.

steamboats

Thanks for the correction.  Took a shot at Oasis, but knew that Allure was in Cadiz.  😊

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

US Navy contracts are on a "cost plus" basis, and the Navy has no urgency in getting ships back into service.  While a commercial ship is lucky to get 2 weeks in shipyard every 5 years, the Navy will park a ship there for up to 18 months.

The repairs to Oasis, if any "hidden damage" is discovered, is estimated as it is discovered, on site, not "we'll get an estimator on it tomorrow, and they'll get back to you in a couple of days with a cost", and the price and timeline will be agreed upon between the yard's superintendent and RCI's technical superintendent on the spot.

I think refuelling a carrier takes even longer

4 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Thanks for the correction.  Took a shot at Oasis, but knew that Allure was in Cadiz.  😊

The Netherlands slapped a huge fine on Royal for violating labor laws on ship. Royal hasn't been back since from what I can tell

Edited by John&LaLa

52 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

The Netherlands slapped a huge fine on Royal for violating labor laws on ship. Royal hasn't been back since from what I can tell

That's not limited to Royal, none of the lines come to Holland anymore. Last May, the trade association Netherlands Maritime Technology said one billion Euros for work on ships had gone elsewhere. 

They aren't wasting time. Already have the cribbing moved from Sunrise's pattern. I don't think this is Oasis's final pattern, but it shows they can move them quick. This was 7 hours ago, so I think Saturday is likely to be the day they get her in there, if not late Friday. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Exactly, that´s why RCI does not return to Rotterdam. The Spanish are happy to get the contracts.

steamboats

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, fsjosh said:

They aren't wasting time. Already have the cribbing moved from Sunrise's pattern. I don't think this is Oasis's final pattern, but it shows they can move them quick. This was 7 hours ago, so I think Saturday is likely to be the day they get her in there, if not late Friday. 

Actually, that is just the blocks being set out of the way to start setting for Oasis.  There is no central line of blocks, which are the major load bearing area, then a line of blocks on each side near the "turn of the bilge" where the hull goes from horizontal to vertical.  Typically, the blocks are moved around by forklift truck, and must be placed to tolerances of a few inches to assure that the block is under the proper structure inside the ship.  Each ships also comes from the builder's yard with two "blocking diagrams", so that those areas covered by the blocks in one drydock (which of course can't be cleaned or painted) are uncovered at the next drydock to allow painting.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aim1 said:

Someone took advantage of a better angle....

Thank you.

They certainly aren't wasting any time. They've already cut off the port side balconies on Decks 7, 8 and 9, and the starboard side balcony on Deck 7, and they are busy on the edge of Deck 15.

Yeah, looking at those pics, The balconies should definitely all be fixed by the May 5th cruise. There should be no reason the azipod work won't be done. So unless the mechanics of the aquatheater are damaged and they can't get replacements in time, the May 5th cruise should have a whole boat. 

1 hour ago, Pratique said:

Thank you.

They certainly aren't wasting any time. They've already cut off the port side balconies on Decks 7, 8 and 9, and the starboard side balcony on Deck 7, and they are busy on the edge of Deck 15.

Did you mean Starboard 7, 8, and 9? I always thought that the Port side was the left side of the boat as you are looking forward. Sorry if I am incorrect about that.

30 minutes ago, Paul in Phoenix said:

Did you mean Starboard 7, 8, and 9? I always thought that the Port side was the left side of the boat as you are looking forward. Sorry if I am incorrect about that.

No, the port(left) side balconies took more damage. The starboard deck 7 balcony was crushed, but the part of the crane that hit the upper deck by the wave riders appears to came down and hit the port side balconies as it fell. 

In the last picture above you can see the tips of the balconies are cut off. 

2 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

No, the port(left) side balconies took more damage. The starboard deck 7 balcony was crushed, but the part of the crane that hit the upper deck by the wave riders appears to came down and hit the port side balconies as it fell. 

In the last picture above you can see the tips of the balconies are cut off. 

I didn't realize the Port side took on so much damage, for some reason, I thought the Starboard side took the brunt of it. I am on the 5/12 trip and have been carefully watching what is going on. From my understanding, my muster station is in the Aquatheater, so I will get a good look at things right away.

13 minutes ago, Paul in Phoenix said:

I didn't realize the Port side took on so much damage, for some reason, I thought the Starboard side took the brunt of it. I am on the 5/12 trip and have been carefully watching what is going on. From my understanding, my muster station is in the Aquatheater, so I will get a good look at things right away.

The base of the crane folded over the Starboard side at the 7th floor balcony and AQ screen, but missed the 8th floor balcony. The base is only so wide so it split that gap fairly well. The upper "T" part of the crane is the part that hit the upper decks and came down the other side and finally folded over the edge of the ship on the Port side. Theres a couple pics from the day of, and the video of the crew evacuating that show the damage somewhat. I didn't think that the port side damage was as bad as it is. I thought it just sheared the railings off. But apparently it did deck damage as well. 

16 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

The base of the crane folded over the Starboard side at the 7th floor balcony and AQ screen, but missed the 8th floor balcony. The base is only so wide so it split that gap fairly well. The upper "T" part of the crane is the part that hit the upper decks and came down the other side and finally folded over the edge of the ship on the Port side. Theres a couple pics from the day of, and the video of the crew evacuating that show the damage somewhat. I didn't think that the port side damage was as bad as it is. I thought it just sheared the railings off. But apparently it did deck damage as well. 

I thought the port side damage was from the first crane to fall from the port side of the dry dock. Two cranes fell onto the ship, one from each side. During the evacuation the starboard crane was still standing upright.

Edit: As far as I can tell, the crane lying across the Aquatheater is the port side crane. The starboard side crane leaned against the ship but didn't come down into the theater. At least this was what I thought happened.

O10.jpg

O11.jpg

Edited by Pratique

18 minutes ago, Pratique said:

I thought the port side damage was from the first crane to fall from the port side of the dry dock. Two cranes fell onto the ship, one from each side. During the evacuation the starboard crane was still standing upright.

O10.jpg

Only one crane fell. That White thing sticking out in the picture above is the Starboard crane. Theres actually two cranes on each side. The two port side cranes only were leaning against the ship. 

Heres a shot from the upper deck. You can see the Starboard crane laying across the deck and the upper part of the crane sticking out past the ship. 

image.png.fc571bed0e225aa86b7d1c8e56327d

Heres another shot of how the Starboard crane was laying:

1641257881_ScreenShot2019-04-02at5_20_04

Edited by fsjosh
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, volk904 said:

I believe 

those steel pcs on the helipad brought from Freeport are the replacement balcony support frames.    

Doubt it.  More likely they are specialized work platforms for the azipod repairs.  Way too much structure there for a simple balcony, and it wouldn't be rusty.  That stuff has been used hard and put away wet several times in a shipyard to be replacement steel.  Besides, the engineers from Cadiz that rode the ship would have annotated Oasis' plans and sent the required segments to the yard for fabrication during the crossing.  Things like this are built in the steel fabrication buildings and only brought out to the ship when the final weld to join it to the ship is all that is required.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

That White thing sticking out in the picture above is the Starboard crane. Theres actually two cranes on each side. The two port side cranes only were leaning against the ship.

OK I see now how the lower portion of the first crane is folded over the starboard side.

3 hours ago, above sea level cruiser said:

Does anyone have any anonymous pictures from anyone onboard or do you think that the area will now be absolutely and completely off limits?

We need someone who works for the  FBI, CIA or Scotland yard to handle this (WINK WINK)

Saying for a friend.

Safe travels.

1 hour ago, Lionesss said:

We need someone who works for the  FBI, CIA or Scotland yard to handle this (WINK WINK)

Saying for a friend.

Safe travels.

Working on it 🙂 

I did find out that they've replaced the ice skating rink with fresh ice so that's something? Looks like their making good progress on the damage caused by the crane and I think they are due to provide an update on 4/23.