Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

31 minutes ago, above sea level cruiser said:

Sure, - there was an incident with Oasis at the Freeport shipyard.

38 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Ship gets damaged in Grand Bahamas during scheduled azipod repair. RC cancels cruises and TA due to damage to ship.  Ship now in Spain getting fixed before European sailings. 

Thanks for the synopsis'.

So I guess th rest of the 67 pages were filled with 😱😭🤯🤬

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

Sorry guys/gals, I don't have the time to read all the 67 pages of this thread. Could somebody provide a Reader's Digest/Cole's Notes version of this thread.  

Thank You 

Don't waste your time, 66 pages are nothing but pointless speculation. For example, everyone was certain she would be in drydock Saturday (some even speculated as early as Friday). Here it is Sunday (afternoon in Cadiz) and she is still moored dockside. 

Take anything posted here with a large grain of salt as no one has any "inside" information. But hey, I've found it entertaining to follow this thread.

Edited by richardb

10 minutes ago, richardb said:

Don't waste your time, 66 pages are nothing but pointless speculation. For example, everyone was certain she would be in drydock Saturday (some even speculated as early as Friday). Here it is Sunday (afternoon in Cadiz) and she is still moored dockside. 

Take anything posted here with a large grain of salt as no one has any "inside" information. But hey, I've found it entertaining to follow this thread.

It wasn't wasted.  You seem to forget that RCL follows these posts and we help them find the best solution.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, richardb said:

Take anything posted here with a large grain of salt as no one has any "inside" information.

I believe "many were hopeful" about drydock Saturday; doubt if anyone was certain about that; "salt" would be appropriate.

While the thread contains lots of speculation, some wild, I think there has been a decent amount of expert opinion and education as well.

1 hour ago, richardb said:

While my first posts on this thread were certainly speculative with a dash of panic, since then all my information has come direct from the crew on board or from individuals at Cádiz who are working on the ship. The images that are being shared of the on going repairs are most helpful. 

And for what it’s worth, the majority of the crew are exploring Cádiz and staying in the ship at night; sort of like it’s become their hotel. While I’m not exactly sure how a dry dock works, I imagine it might be challenging to continue to use the ship as a hotel for the crew. As such, a reason for a speculated delay could very well be that they need to find accommodations for the many crew members on board. 

Edited by scottish67

46 minutes ago, scottish67 said:

As such, a reason for a speculated delay could very well be that they need to find accommodations for the many crew members on board. 

Oh please, keep your guesses coming as they are quite entertaining. As the crew was staying aboard during the Bahamas dry docking, what do you base your latest speculation on? Speculation based on speculation; I love it.

Perhaps there is no delay, as she was always scheduled to enter the dry dock on the 22nd, as reported by the Spanish media.

Perhaps a better route might be to wait and see what happens and then report the actual facts.

Edited by richardb

7 minutes ago, richardb said:

Oh please, keep your guesses coming as they are quite entertaining. As the crew was staying aboard during the Bahamas dry docking, what do you base your latest speculation on? Speculation based on speculation; I love it.

Perhaps there is no delay, as she was always scheduled to enter the dry dock on the 22nd, as reported by the Spanish media.

Perhaps a better route might be to wait and see what happens and then report the actual facts.

I’m not even going to dignify that with a response or additional comment.

EVERYONE ELSE, I shall refrain from sharing any other information as the poster before me has demanded that we no longer speculate or share information. As such, any further pictures/images/info I receive from those in Cádiz shall not be posted as I wouldn’t want to further agitate those who are voluntarily following a thread full of speculation. Been great following along, here’s hoping those in 5/5 get to enjoy their sailing. 

I think people worry to much about the dry dock.  U less there is some new below the waterline issues caused by the crane accident the drydock work work is really just replacing the bearing or replacing The Whole Azopods. They we’re going to replace the bearings in 3-5 days in Freeport even using the coffer dam set up and they replaced the whole Azepod on the Summit in 4 days. 

I expect they they will do some painting on the side of the hull

in the dry dock as well. 

Sure seems me the major work repairing the balconies and other work is the bigger project.   Also crew living on a ship in dry dock is not an issue.   Cruise ships do this every day.  The Summit crew was on the ship working for 5 weeks just 2 months ago.  

25 minutes ago, richardb said:

The Spanish media also reported that although the 22nd was the planned date, the shipyard was going to try and get her into dry dock as early as yesterday. It wasn't speculation.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Pratique said:

The Spanish media also reported that although the 22nd was the planned date, the shipyard was going to try and get her into dry dock as early as yesterday. It wasn't speculation.

Be careful! We wouldn’t want to upset the honorable richardb with more speculation!! We should probably find out a way to close this thread since he has commanded no more speculation or discussion on this topic. 

Edited by scottish67
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, scottish67 said:

EVERYONE ELSE, I shall refrain from sharing any other information as the poster before me has demanded that we no longer speculate or share information. As such, any further pictures/images/info I receive from those in Cádiz shall not be posted as I wouldn’t want to further agitate those who are voluntarily following a thread full of speculation. Been great following along, here’s hoping those in 5/5 get to enjoy their sailing. 

I cannot speak for the majority of those posting or following the thread, nor likely can anyone else...

But richardb has found it "entertaining to follow this thread" 😎

I appreciate the information and unofficial updates and pics you have been collecting, and would be happy to see more as such is discovered.  What can you learn about the Freeport dock?  🧐🤔🤓

Edited by willde
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, richardb said:

I have a better idea.  Why don't you stop reading this thread?  People are entitled to their guesses and speculation, and reasonable people understand that.  If you are offended by reading things that are not factual on the internet, I suggest you turn your computer off.

I enjoy the information and speculation.  However, the holier than thou attitudes of some posts are entertaining also.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, volk904 said:

I think people worry to much about the dry dock.  U less there is some new below the waterline issues caused by the crane accident the drydock work work is really just replacing the bearing or replacing The Whole Azopods. They we’re going to replace the bearings in 3-5 days in Freeport even using the coffer dam set up and they replaced the whole Azepod on the Summit in 4 days. 

I expect they they will do some painting on the side of the hull

in the dry dock as well. 

Sure seems me the major work repairing the balconies and other work is the bigger project.   Also crew living on a ship in dry dock is not an issue.   Cruise ships do this every day.  The Summit crew was on the ship working for 5 weeks just 2 months ago.  

I was thinking the same, the major work seems to be required on the aquatheratre area on deck and that’s already underway, irrespective of the dry dock.

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

It wasn't wasted.  You seem to forget that RCL follows these posts and we help them find the best solution.

I have found this thread useful and entertaining. 

But you have got to be kidding with this post......

3 minutes ago, scottish67 said:

Hey Richard b, hows this for speculation?? 

Sourced from someone who is working on the boat, but what do I know, probably fake right? 🤔

F4893735-ADEB-4FEC-B94F-2C984102579C.jpeg

Amazing CGI.  Or is it 3d printed miniature?  The workmen look almost human.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, richardb said:

I can sort the chaff from the wheat. But there are some who can't. They will go to another thread on CC and say "I read such and such", posting it there as fact.

Re-read my original post, I've quoted it above. I was answering DirtyDawg's question without mentioning anyone in particular (more than one speculated on Friday/Saturday). If another member took offense at that, well, me thinks thou protest too much.

But I'm going to continue to follow this thread, as occasionally there is some factual info posted. The rest is pure entertainment.

9 minutes ago, scottish67 said:

Hey Richard b, hows this for speculation?? 

Sourced from someone who is working on the boat, but what do I know, probably fake right? 🤔

F4893735-ADEB-4FEC-B94F-2C984102579C.jpeg

As long as you stick to the facts, your posts are all welcome. BTW, that was a short lived absence, Welcome back!

Edited by richardb

Just now, richardb said:

As long as you stick to the facts, your posts are all welcome. BTW, I though you said you were done posting here.

WOW - wondering who made anyone king to choose who can post...thought that was the job of a moderator.

Great to see the pix from scottish67 that also put all the naysayers and skeptics where they belong...the back seat of this thread.

The rest of us enjoy the contents of all types...and looking forward to Oasis being "whole" again soon.

• Like 2

WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS NON FACTUAL INFORMATION.  You have been warned.

I think she could have been taken to the dry dock, except for Holy Week and Easter.  I have absolutely no facts to back that up.  It is pure speculation.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MrMarc said:

WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS NON FACTUAL INFORMATION.  You have been warned.

I think she could have been taken to the dry dock, except for Holy Week and Easter.  I have absolutely no facts to back that up.  It is pure speculation.

LOL....thanks for the levity on a topic others are taking far too seriously.

Yes there is speculation but there is also good information being conveyed.  To say this thread is useless because there is speculation is just wrong.

Everywhere in life people speculate about things, it could be at work, a local bar or restaurant,  a gym etc.  The people in the "know" can correct some of the speculations.  Everyone learns in the process.  I know I have in regards to this incident, the Viking Sky incident and many others that have been discussed on Cruise Critic.

I would find life boring if I was not learning things outside of my expertise.

So please keeping posting the factual information, the photographs and even your speculation and the corrections to the speculations.

• Like 1