Carnival Canceling Antigua Port

pamwigs

2 hours ago, pamwigs said:

Carnival Cruise Line has canceled all upcoming calls to the island of Antigua, according to the president of the Antigua and Barbuda Cruise Tourism Association, Nathan Dundas.

Other Carnival brands will follow suit. 

We'll have to wait and see what others under the Carnival brands will do.  

Probablly cancel ... but ours on Crown Princess for January 2020 is still listed.

3 hours ago, pamwigs said:

Carnival Cruise Line has canceled all upcoming calls to the island of Antigua, according to the president of the Antigua and Barbuda Cruise Tourism Association, Nathan Dundas.

Other Carnival brands will follow suit. 

I guess our Journeys cruise in February was one of the last of Carnival's port of calls in Antigua. Such a shame as I know for a fact that hubby and I dropped $300 USD while we were in port therem

This is great. If Antigua doesn't want us, then why would we want to go there? I wouldn't fly there either now, to me, their reputation is unwelcoming so why bother. These islands are a dime a dozen. Bye Antigua. Best of luck. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BNBR said:

This is great.

If Antigua doesn't want us, then why would we want to go there?

I wouldn't fly there either now, to me, their reputation is unwelcoming

so why bother. These islands are a dime a dozen.

Bye Antigua. Best of luck. 

Let's just say that local attitudes are odd.

Just now, Keys2Heaven said:

Only been there once and that was with RCCL. Nice beaches.

I guess I missed the memo. What's the issue with Antigua?

Carnival said the government is making it clear they don't want cruisers.  So Carnival is pulling out and going to more welcoming ports. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BNBR said:

Carnival said the government is making it clear they don't want cruisers.  So Carnival is pulling out and going to more welcoming ports. 

Sounds like a monetary feud. Oh well, it is nice island. Maybe the next government will get it right.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keys2Heaven said:

Sounds like a monetary feud. Oh well, it is nice island. Maybe the next government will get it right.

I think it has a lot to do with Antigua not handling issues at the port facilities. 

Back in April 1970

I spent two weeks out at Holiday Inn, Marmora Bay

gigging with a travelling band.

As a fellow Caribbean islander

I got to know some of the staff at the resort on a West Indian level

but even so, it was clear that if you weren't an Antiguan

you were a lesser mortal to be shunned, not taken seriously.

I learnt a lot about local attitudes on that island - in just 2 short weeks.

Has it improved? Several visits to Antigua since then say no.

50 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

How do you know this?

Because "marginal ports" like Antigua and Dominica

have been thru these cycles before -and shall do so again.

This is nothing new.

'Social conditions' on the islands vary from time to time

and it becomes practical for cruise lines to either remove or return.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BNBR said:

This is great. If Antigua doesn't want us, then why would we want to go there? I wouldn't fly there either now, to me, their reputation is unwelcoming so why bother. These islands are a dime a dozen. Bye Antigua. Best of luck. 

I would read the article again, no one said they don't want cruise passengers any more. Many ships are still porting there. I'm sure they will miss you. 

WE spent the day there at Beachlimerz on Ft James Beach, what a great time, close to the port, beautiful beach, only about 20 people on the beach, the food, drinks, and service were great! 

Antigua has beautiful beaches and most are not overly crowded!

Edited by AmBear

No great lose in my book.  We have been there twice and will not go back.   We had issues with the taxi drivers and some of the beach attendants both times.  They change the prices on  you in mid-stream.  Was told that the fare was $30 pp round trip and then charged for the return trip.  You either pay it or miss the ship.  The waitress at the cafe didn't care if we were there or not.  Lousy service, and rude.  The only other place that I will not visit again is Martinique.  They act as if they don't want me or my money.

• Like 2

on a cruise? you really can not get a grasp of the island or it's culture in 6 hours. Bahamas gets a bad rap from cruise guests and island visitors adore the island. Martinique is magnificent. as in France, speaking french will help a lot or at least learning a few courteous phrases. To some St.Thomas people can be rude, but you get what you give. If you ask someone "where's the bathroom" you might get ignored. If you say "good afternoon, how are you today, can you show me the closest restroom" you will be answered with a smile.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, coevan said:

on a cruise? you really can not get a grasp of the island or it's culture in 6 hours. Bahamas gets a bad rap from cruise guests and island visitors adore the island. Martinique is magnificent. as in France, speaking french will help a lot or at least learning a few courteous phrases. To some St.Thomas people can be rude, but you get what you give. If you ask someone "where's the bathroom" you might get ignored. If you say "good afternoon, how are you today, can you show me the closest restroom" you will be answered with a smile.

Thank you for reaffirming why these ports suck. "oh please sir, oh please sir, good afternoon, how are you? Family good? How's your dog? Please sir, please, oh lord street vendor, please would you direct me to the bathroom". 

Gosh, just the type of place I want to visit where you have to learn French or treat a vendor like a King to get bathroom directions....  God forbid you just expect decent hospitality and friendliness. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Thank you for reaffirming why these ports suck. "oh please sir, oh please sir, good afternoon, how are you? Family good? How's your dog? Please sir, please, oh lord street vendor, please would you direct me to the bathroom". 

Gosh, just the type of place I want to visit where you have to learn French or treat a vendor like a King to get bathroom directions....  God forbid you just expect decent hospitality and friendliness. 

WOW, a little exaggerated? It's called common courtesy and why some ugly Americans are frowned upon, rude and demanding. If saying good morning or good afternoon to someone is too much for you, seriously? BTW, it's their culture, they always address each other with a salutation. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, coevan said:

it's their culture

Ditto.  Other cultures.  You would think someone who cruises to foreign ports would want to experience the unique culture of the people.  Instead, it seems many want the Disney version polished and glowing, everyone speaking English, U.S. safety standards, etc.  

• Like 1