New Pricing Bundles or Non-Refundable: Your Thoughts!

Lastdance

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

We don't drink much, so I cannot really comment about alcohol. And no, they are not included on Oceania. I believe the packages are cheaper than Celebrity, but cannot say for sure.

This isn’t quite accurate.  We were in a Penthouse Suite on Oceania and we paid $1,200 for the drink package and $460 for gratuities.  A month earlier on Celebrity we were in a Sky Suite for the same number of nights and drink package and tips were is included in the suite price.  The Oceania cruise was double the price of our Eclipse trip.

Edited by Oville

6 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

But of course if you prefer to spend your time in constant lines, waiting for elevators, fighting for seats in the theater, tables in the buffet and chairs in the pool, paying for specialty coffees and teas, paying for specialty restaurants, then Celebrity might be your cup of tea.

Nothing you have mentioned above is our reality other than paying for specialty restaurants.  Our $300 OBC from Celebrity pays for those restaurants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

But of course if you prefer to spend your time in constant lines, waiting for elevators, fighting for seats in the theater, tables in the buffet and chairs in the pool, paying for specialty coffees and teas, paying for specialty restaurants, then Celebrity might be your cup of tea.

Do you really think anyone prefers these things? Rather, it’s how much one is willing to pay to avoid them. And you yourself said Oceania wasn’t perfect (tiny bathroom etc). None of the lines in question is perfect. Each of us must do our own cost-benefit analysis, and speaking for myself, I need more data before committing our finite holiday time and money to a more costly cruise line.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Oville said:

Nothing you have mentioned above is our reality other than paying for specialty restaurants.  Our $300 OBC from Celebrity pays for those restaurants.

Really? There are whole threads about people saving seats in the theater and chairs on the pool on Celebrity. On some days we had to go in circles for 10-15 minutes in the buffet with our plates. Never happened on Oceania. Not to mention much smaller groups on shore excursions, much less sea days on average etc. the list is too long. 

As I said, a different league. It is interesting to see some people claiming that Celebrity is the best line when they didn't even try anything else.

14 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Thanks Katie. Judging by your reviews and posts, we like similar things, so your comparison is very helpful. I wish I had been on that cruise with you and Marilyn😊

Cheers,

Michelle 

Thanks Michelle, we loved that Edge cruise in January  and ran into Marilyn quite a bit.  Sunday we are off on the Edge again this time in an AQ cabin and we can’t wait.  We have two specialty restaurants booked, Fine Cuts and Le Petit Chef and will use OBCs from our TA for lunches in Le Bristro and Raw Bar on 5.  We’ve already upgraded our beverage package to premium.

Lastdance, my thoughts on the new program are they are a variation on a theme, not that different for Go Big.......

Katie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Do you really think anyone prefers these things? Rather, it’s how much one is willing to pay to avoid them. And you yourself said Oceania wasn’t perfect (tiny bathroom etc). None of the lines in question is perfect. Each of us must do our own cost-benefit analysis, and speaking for myself, I need more data before committing our finite holiday time and money to a more costly cruise line.

Absolutely! But some people claim that Oceania is no better than Celebrity even while being more expensive. Which is simply absurd. 

Its perfectly fine to say that the difference in price might not be worth it. Matter of price vs quality. But the fact that Oceania beats Celebrity in 90% of the categories simply cannot be disputed.

it is like saying that Lexus is no better than Toyota. Toyota might provide a better value for money and be perfectly fine for most people. But some prefer better driving experience and are willing to pay for it.

5 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Really? There are whole threads about people saving seats in the theater and chairs on the pool on Celebrity. On some days we had to go in circles for 10-15 minutes in the buffet with our plates. Never happened on Oceania. Not to mention much smaller groups on shore excursions, much less sea days on average etc. the list is too long. 

As I said, a different league. It is interesting to see some people claiming that Celebrity is the best line when they didn't even try anything else.

Really.  We never go to the pool as we always have a veranda to sit, read and enjoy the sea.  If we go to the buffet for lunch it is usually on the late side and we have breakfast in Luminae or Blu.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oville said:

Really.  We never go to the pool as we always have a veranda to sit, read and enjoy the sea.  If we go to the buffet for lunch it is usually on the late side and we have breakfast in Luminae or Blu.

Fair enough. But to get this superior experience, you have to book a suite, while on Oceania, you get it even if booking an inside cabin. I would think suite on Celebrity would be at least double if not triple compared to inside on Oceania, and still significantly more expensive than veranda on Oceania.

2 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Fair enough. But to get this superior experience, you have to book a suite, while on Oceania, you get it even if booking an inside cabin. I would think suite on Celebrity would be at least double if not triple compared to inside on Oceania, and still significantly more expensive than veranda on Oceania.

You love Oceania, we disliked it for more reasons than I have mentioned.  Obviously you stay in inside cabins and we don’t so it is hard to compare our experiences.  We were on the Rivera and found the entertainment bland, the food in the MDR no better but service worse than Celebrity, and clearly did not fall in love.  The big plus for O was the specialty restaurants which we ate twice in each (suite perk).  The buffet for us was a nightmare, outside seating was horrible and the cruise was not worth the significant upgrade price.

7 minutes ago, Oville said:

You love Oceania, we disliked it for more reasons than I have mentioned.  Obviously you stay in inside cabins and we don’t so it is hard to compare our experiences.  We were on the Rivera and found the entertainment bland, the food in the MDR no better but service worse than Celebrity, and clearly did not fall in love.  The big plus for O was the specialty restaurants which we ate twice in each (suite perk).  The buffet for us was a nightmare, outside seating was horrible and the cruise was not worth the significant upgrade price.

Your price comparison is not apples to apples. On Celebrity you need the suite to get a better food and service, and basically have access to a ship within a ship. On Oceania you don't. You have all those perks even if you book an inside cabin.

as I said, some people are perfectly fine with Toyota. Others prefer to have a Lexus or a Mercedes. 

Obviously everyone is different, so we will have to agree to disagree.

26 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

as I said, some people are perfectly fine with Toyota. Others prefer to have a Lexus or a Mercedes.

You have taken the OP’s thread way off topic. Enjoy your Toyota on Oceania, we’ll enjoy our Lexus on Celebrity.

Lastdance, enjoy your Lexus on Edge, it’s a great cabin.😉

Edited by Oville
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Prices do seem to have gone crazy. Booked this Sept on the Equinox while onboard last Sept for approx $3600 with 2 perks. Just checked prices for same category with the military discount and 2 perks is now approx $4600. I can see why a line like MSC is attracting so many people with low pricing but not sure what the experience would be like after reading so many not great reviews.  

• Thanks 1

I do find the Toyota and Lexus comparison funny 

I can get the oil change in our Lexus for $99 at the Lexus dealer or go to the Toyota dealer for $70, Lexus does wash the car 😉

same guts in both makes 

if you pay for both perks can you get share holder credit ? 

48 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

I do find the Toyota and Lexus comparison funny 

I can get the oil change in our Lexus for $99 at the Lexus dealer or go to the Toyota dealer for $70, Lexus does wash the car 😉

same guts in both makes 

if you pay for both perks can you get share holder credit ? 

If you take the no perk non refundable deposit then subsequently buy the perks on cruise planner I believe the answer would be yes.  If you take the 2 perks pricing the answer is most likely no but every once in awhile someone reports they sent it in and it was applied.  With the bundle I believe their thinking is that it is some sort of promotion so the benefit doesn't apply.

16 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Can you give an example of a cruise with a resident or senior discount.  I'd like to view rates.

The cruise to Hawaii on Eclipse that we are taking in 2 weeks offered a resident rate.  The balcony rate was listed at $1649 and our Ohio rate was $1199 - big savings.  I know this is old news, so only time will tell if they do these in the future

• Thanks 1

We just updated our cruise for March 2020.  For $1,400 (per cabin) more we got "free" gratuities and beverage package.  15 night cruise, so booze for about $30 per person per day.  Decided to do it.  We are from RC and will come over as Elite,  so we were not sure we would get the booze, but at that prices looked like no brainer.

Really a good deal for friends traveling with us as they have no "status"

Agree here that the new title of the Promo--is same thing/different wrapper. Perhaps even less of a "deal" imho

Go Better/Best vs new theme.

As for our bookings--right now certain stateroom cats are booked out..and the next tier down is without perks and more $ than we paid with perks.  That said I know pax who are sailing the same ship/time and got MUCH better deals than we did (all 4 perks for less $US) and I had hoped to watch for upgrade options. Right now that isn't looking too doable. We shall see after final payments are due. 

We have a couple of sailings we want to book and will be comparing. I wish our big box TA still did OBC and perks--now it is a cash card. We do use the cash cards--however drink package etc would be more useful

In reply to Seville2Cabo (post #69)

Close to a wash. Figure gratuities at  $225 ($15 per day X 15 ) plus drinks $450 ($30 X 15) = $675pp. You do get happy hour drinks with Elite.

Edited by bkbarrym
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bkbarrym said:

In reply to Seville2Cabo (post #69)

Close to a wash. Figure gratuities at  $225 ($15 per day X 15 ) plus drinks $450 ($30 X 15) = $675. You do get happy our drinks with Elite.

But the actual cost of the drink packages are $45 for classic and $55 for pewnium so not a wash at all.

10 hours ago, Oville said:

Katie

FYI...ak1004  with whom you are debating has their own thread titled something like " Poor cust svc on X.."   Despite  eventual full resolution of what turned out to be a computer glitch...still insists!

Peron dislikes X and will always want the last word. In my opinion after getting involved in the other thread, it will be a .waste of your time!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Oville said:

But the actual cost of the drink packages are $45 for classic and $55 for pewnium so not a wash at all.

You are right. I was picking up on the $30 per day the poster used.

For us we are Elite and do not drink enough otherwise to make it worthwhile. For 2 perks we would likely take gratuities and OBC which wouldn't come close to covering the $700pp difference in fares.

11 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Actually, I think it's way more interesting that you a) ever booked a cruise on Celebrity in the first place and b) only started talking smack about them AFTER you complained about their "terrible customer service" and c) Continue berating the cruise line and people who enjoy the product X offers even AFTER Celebrity have you an upgrade after a price drop - which they have ZERO obligation to do.

PS. I'm not a "fan boy".  I've sailed on 7 different cruise lines and would go back to any of them without hesitation (except RCCL - too many kids).  In fact, we would PREFER to sail HAL, but the perk of the classic alcohol package and our TA covering gratuities on X makes X the smart financial choice - for our OV cabins.

Edited by jkgourmet