Cagney's Question

linga

I see people raving about Cagney's on the boards, But, I was on the Epic and was disappointed in Cagney's, the food was just OK and the service was not good.  I admit, I was expecting something more similar to the food and atmosphere at the Steakhouses on Princess and Carnival (more like Morton's on land), so maybe I started with the wrong expectations.  

My question is, I'm now going on the Breakaway and I'm wondering if all Cagney's are the same or do you think that some ships are better than others?  Maybe we just went on a bad day?  I'd like to give it another shot on a different ship if it might be better.

Thanks!

Edited by linga

I’m sure they vary from ship to ship just like land based restaurants vary from location to location. Personally I’ve never had a bad meal in Cagneys. The service was a bit slow once but not horrible by any means. 

• Like 1

We were disappointed in Cagney's on the Breakaway in February. The filets were overcooked, dry and tough. Maybe a bad night, but I'd heard others report they weren't happy with them either. Le Bistro and Ocean Blue were excellent. 

The location doesnt help on the breakawy/getaway ships - works ok when the sides are open but if they close the deck off its almost a corridor..  The area near the kitchen is ok.

Quality of food In Cagneys though can vary I must admit - not just ship to ship - but day to day - if its not right, send it back.

I too found Ocean Blue superb and Le Bistro (horrible internal location though on the Getaway) is good though I just wish they would change the menu more regularly

2 hours ago, linga said:

I see people raving about Cagney's on the boards, But, I was on the Epic and was disappointed in Cagney's, the food was just OK and the service was not good.  I admit, I was expecting something more similar to the food and atmosphere at the Steakhouses on Princess and Carnival (more like Morton's on land), so maybe I started with the wrong expectations.  

My question is, I'm now going on the Breakaway and I'm wondering if all Cagney's are the same or do you think that some ships are better than others?  Maybe we just went on a bad day?  I'd like to give it another shot on a different ship if it might be better.

Thanks!

My only experience with Cagney's was on the Breakaway  and I enjoyed it so much I ate there twice. But I have also dined at Ruth Chris in Atlantic city  (my son owes me a Morton's dinner) Cagney's is great but not on the level of Ruth or Morton's for me it sits a lot higher then  Long Horn steakhouse but below the others. I really enjoyed it and plan on trying it on the Bliss this year. As far as servers go that can be luck of the draw. When I went the second time they recalled my name right away and all was great.

• Like 1

Can't speak for Cagney's as the only specialty restaurant I've gone to more than once is Le Bistro, which hasn't been consistent from ship to ship. Or night to night, for that matter, as I've gone twice on two of my NCL cruises.

In my experience, the specialty restaurants seem to start off great at the beginning a cruise, but then go downhill as you get closer to the end. Even the Haven restaurant suffered from this when I was on the Escape (or maybe I was just growing tired of the same menu, night after night). 

All that said, I'm looking forward to Bliss later this year and plan on hitting up Q, Los Lobos, and Ocean Blue (skipping Le Bistro this time around).

4 hours ago, OHRiverRats said:

We were disappointed in Cagney's on the Breakaway in February. The filets were overcooked, dry and tough. Maybe a bad night, but I'd heard others report they weren't happy with them either. Le Bistro and Ocean Blue were excellent. 

I was on the Breakaway in January and the filet was excellent.

• Like 1

We recently had a bad experience with Cagney’s on the Escape. Unacceptably slow and poor service. Raised it as an issue with management. 

We cancelled a second reservation we had there. 

Edited by BirdTravels

4 hours ago, jhawknj said:

My only experience with Cagney's was on the Breakaway  and I enjoyed it so much I ate there twice. But I have also dined at Ruth Chris in Atlantic city  (my son owes me a Morton's dinner) Cagney's is great but not on the level of Ruth or Morton's for me it sits a lot higher then  Long Horn steakhouse but below the others. I really enjoyed it and plan on trying it on the Bliss this year. As far as servers go that can be luck of the draw. When I went the second time they recalled my name right away and all was great.

Starting w/ the Jade in January 2011, we have enjoyed Cagney's on Jade, Epic, Spirit & Jewel.  We generally enjoy Cagney's a  couple of times on every cruise.  It's a very enjoyable dinner.  However, I agree with jhawknj - it's no where near Morton's nor Ruth Chris.  We have on occasion had to return an item improperly cooked.   No problem - they took both meals & served fresh.

My wife and I was on the Bliss in January-only eat in specialty restaurants-all 7 nights-went to Cagneys 4 out of 7 nights-was excellent all 4 nights-even complimented the kitchen crew on the way out how good it more than once  when leaving. Have been on Getaway and Escape previously-went to Cagneys on every cruise -increasing the number of nights on every successive cruise-leading up to 4 nights on last Bliss cruise. Always has been very good. Always so full-have desert to go to eat  later in room-late night snack-my wife and I frequently get creme brulee-it is to die for.    

We were on the BA in December and again in March.  I gave Cagneys one last try in December after 4 times on different ships.  As always service was lacking.  The food was very very ordinary.  The steak was less than that.  The steak in both Le Bistro and La Cucina was much better.  The filet with blue cheese ravioli was superb.  The service in both was extra special.  Cagneys just doesnt connect with diners because they are so busy serving adequate meals. LB has a smaller menu but some real finds (escargo, scallops, the lamb).  LC has a bigger menu and I cannot say enough about the above mentioned filet and the osso bucco.  Tiramisu is light and airy and rich and creamy.  

My advice, is try anything other than Cagneys.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, linga said:

Thanks!

They are pretty much all the same. Cagney's has been going downhill for years.  Price increases, limited selections, additional charges etc.  Cagney's used to be a really special place to eat, 10+ years ago.  Now it is more like the MDR used to be, but with a $30-$50 upcharge.

I have been to the steak houses of Holland America and NCL several times.

The best was Holland America BEFORE they started cutting back. Their French onion soup ( no longer on the menu) was as good as I have had.

The best piece of meat was the NCL Tomahawk ( no longer on the menu).

Overall the biggest difference between the two was HAL waiters were more knowledgeable than NCL's. 

The meat and other food on the last few times were comparable.

I did try Royal Caribbean once not up to HAL or NCL. 

Just got off the Star last week.  Was not impressed with Cagneys.  Food was OK at best.  They got our order wrong on each course.  That didn't happen in the MDR.  Service was also OK but really,  considering the inflated claims on this place I really expected better.  

We also had a disappointing experience at cagney’s on the jade. We should have been forwarned because as we waited to be seated there was a woman giving her list of complaints to the hostess about everything that was wrong w her meal. We are pretty ‘go with the flow’ people so hoped to fare better but we didnt. Steaks all came out at the wrong temp and food was overall bland and underwhelming. 

Hummm we've been eating at Cagney's for years on different ships and never had a bad meal.  I like my steak med rare and my husband likes his med.  We usually take our time and are not rushed so never noticed if the service was slow...🤗 When we return the second time on the same cruise we usually get a "special something extra" from the chef.  It always has been this way😘 Maybe because we are usually the earliest to arrive and their is no rush in the kitchen ???😉