latitudes rewards dining question

fairygirl1

2 minutes ago, fairygirl1 said:

Finally made platinum level and see that we have 2 free dinners,,,,Im wondering if there is any charge associated?  thank you!!

There is no charge but you are limited to choice by $25 entree limit along with 1 app 1 desert per person. I give my server a cash tip as there is no gratuity on the perk.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, fairygirl1 said:

Finally made platinum level and see that we have 2 free dinners,,,,Im wondering if there is any charge associated?  thank you!!

No costs. 

In most restaurants, the waiters will comp your entire meal (even if it exceeds $20/$25 or exceeds a single appetizer). 

F2EE2CDB-BE52-4FE3-8BD0-0686EB4F8049.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels

6 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

What is this new restaurant MORDERNO - I wonder if the food is as good as the spelling ?

fairygirl1 - congrats on making Platinum !

I saw that too and thought it was pretty funny that they misspelled their own restaurants name.  LOL!

Moderno is a Brazilian BBQ format similar to Fogo De Chao (and I probably misspelled that...lol).  You have a HUGE salad bar & then they serve you meat; chicken, beef, pork in all kinds of cuts & varieties.

DEFINITELY leave a cash tip at Cagney's if you enjoy it, as someone suggested above.  We usually stay under the $25 limit but someone posted last week they ordered the Porterhouse & they got charged $1 plus a gratuity.  Check out that post for details & comments.

6 minutes ago, AKR2011 said:

Do you make reservations ahead of time for your Platinum Dinners, or so you do it on board? I just became Platinum too 🙂

KeithJenner has provided a concise explanation of specialty dining and booking tips in his signature. It covers specialty dining package and Platinum complimentary vouchers. It is well worth the read.

From his signature:

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2561613-updated-speciality-restaurant-booking-guide/?tab=comments#comment-55222117

1 hour ago, Paul Bogle said:

KeithJenner has provided a concise explanation of specialty dining and booking tips in his signature. It covers specialty dining package and Platinum complimentary vouchers. It is well worth the read.

From his signature:

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2561613-updated-speciality-restaurant-booking-guide/?tab=comments#comment-55222117

Thanks for posting that. Looking for it was on my “to do” list. :classic_smile:

• Thanks 1

On April 6, 2019 at 5:20 PM, BirdTravels said:

No costs. 

In most restaurants, the waiters will comp your entire meal (even if it exceeds $20/$25 or exceeds a single appetizer). 

F2EE2CDB-BE52-4FE3-8BD0-0686EB4F8049.jpeg

Does each person in the cabin who is Platinum get one of these? I ask because my husband and I just turned Platinum and are traveling with another couple to Bermuda in just under 6 weeks. It would be fun if we could treat the other couple to dinner a couple of the nights.

5 minutes ago, jakesnana said:

Does each person in the cabin who is Platinum get one of these? I ask because my husband and I just turned Platinum and are traveling with another couple to Bermuda in just under 6 weeks. It would be fun if we could treat the other couple to dinner a couple of the nights.

Per the NCL web site, the dinner for two is "per stateroom."  (Free bag of laundry, though, is "per member." )

https://www.ncl.com/latitudes-rewards-program#benefits

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Per the NCL web site, the dinner for two is "per stateroom."  (Free bag of laundry, though, is "per member." )

https://www.ncl.com/latitudes-rewards-program#benefits

Well that kind of stinks :(  I know it's a "free" perk (not really, I sailed a lot on NCL to get to this level), but if a cabin only had one Platinum member in the cabin they would get the same perk as someone with 2 Platinum members in the cabin. Kind of devalues the second Platinum guest. Basically, as it turns out we probably won't use any of them. Our friends will not pay to eat in a specialty restaurant and it seems rude to abandon them 2 nights out of the week for us to enjoy our "perks".

Edited by jakesnana

4 minutes ago, jakesnana said:

Well that kind of stinks 😞  I know it's a "free" perk (not really, I sailed a lot on NCL to get to this level), but if a cabin only had one Platinum member in the cabin they would get the same perk as someone with 2 Platinum members in the cabin. Kind of devalues the second Platinum guest. Basically, as it turns out we probably won't use any of them. Our friends will not pay to eat in a specialty restaurant and it seems rude to abandon them 2 nights out of the week for us to enjoy our "perks".

A solo gets two meals for one (unless they find someone to share with), so the second person in your room does get an extra benefit.

Basically, it works out as two meals per platinum member. Some people, due to specific circumstances can end up doing better, but good luck to them. I’m certainly pleased that NCL aren’t going out of their way to make sure that someone doesn’t get a little advantage.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 12:14 PM, jakesnana said:

Well that kind of stinks :(  I know it's a "free" perk (not really, I sailed a lot on NCL to get to this level), but if a cabin only had one Platinum member in the cabin they would get the same perk as someone with 2 Platinum members in the cabin. Kind of devalues the second Platinum guest. Basically, as it turns out we probably won't use any of them. Our friends will not pay to eat in a specialty restaurant and it seems rude to abandon them 2 nights out of the week for us to enjoy our "perks".

You could try a "ladies" night and "guys" night, the two men have dinner at one spot while the ladies have the other dinner at a second.  At least then you would still treat them to one free dinner and still use the perks.....

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, monl765 said:

You could try a "ladies" night and "guys" night, the two men have dinner at one spot while the ladies have the other dinner at a second.  At least then you would still treat them to one free dinner and still use the perks.....

I will check with Guest Services and see if they will let us use the more expensive option (Le Bistro or Cagneys) for the less expensive one (Moderno or La Cucina). I know it states no substituting restaurants, but I'm offering to give up a more expensive option for a less expensive one, maybe they'll bite.

I don't care which restaurant we go to, it would just be nice to have a dinner together.

On 4/8/2019 at 10:23 AM, KeithJenner said:

A solo gets two meals for one (unless they find someone to share with), so the second person in your room does get an extra benefit.

I hear what you're saying but when they changed to the new Lat benefits chart this was a devaluation... Now one plat or plat plus member in a room of two = 4 individual meals. Two plat or plat plus members in a room of two = 4 individual meals. As such there is no benefit for the second plat / plat plus member in the room from a dining perspective.

One plat or plat plus member in a room solo = 2 individual meals (unless she/he takes someone so the option for 4 individual meals is there, solos who are willing to look for other plat / plat plus solos to share with can really leverage this into 8 individual meals - 4 per solo).

I have heard of some plat / plat plus solos having success with getting 4 individual meals but I understand that to be more an exception than something that should be relied upon.

Just after the change (I think 2017) I had a sailing where one of us in the room was plat plus and the other plat so they had to give two different sets of coupons so we did get the 4 meals for 2 but, sadly, no more 😞

I don't understand this line of thinking at all.

Before the changes then any platinum member got a meal for two. Now, you get at least that, and some people manage to do better (like the example of one platinum and a newbie sharing a room).

I don't see that as a devaluation at all. My wife and I are getting the same number of meals that we used to. The fact that someone in another cabin may be getting a bonus sounds like a good thing to me. Good for them. I hope they enjoy it.

Would people prefer that NCL made a load of complicated rules to ensure that someone else doesn't get a little bonus?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure how to book ?

Entitled to 3 Specialty due to booking plus 2 for Lattitude Platinum. Five total...

A) Go on line to 1st book my 3   B) then book 2 more ?

Book Moderno, Cagneys, Bayamo ( ncl escape )   1st for my 3 dinner cruise perk ?

then  Le Bistro, La Cucino for my Lattitude platinum perk ?..

Could use some explicit advice.  thxs  marc b. 

18 minutes ago, yearsofcruising said:

Not sure how to book ?

Entitled to 3 Specialty due to booking plus 2 for Lattitude Platinum. Five total...

A) Go on line to 1st book my 3   B) then book 2 more ?

Book Moderno, Cagneys, Bayamo ( ncl escape )   1st for my 3 dinner cruise perk ?

then  Le Bistro, La Cucino for my Lattitude platinum perk ?..

Could use some explicit advice.  thxs  marc b. 

You certainly will want to book Moderno as one of the first three to avoid being charged on booking.

I would leave Bayamo until the end when booking. If you do it in the first three then I believe you will get charged the $10 upcharge when booking. If you leave it to the end then the system will not charge you that when booking, as it will assume you aren’t using the package for it. You can still use the package to cover the meal onboard and have the upcharge charged to your onboard account.

i would book in this order:

Moderno, Cagneys, Le Bistro, La Cucina, Bayamo

Edited by KeithJenner

On 4/6/2019 at 5:20 PM, BirdTravels said:

No costs. 

This was not my experience on the Dawn last November.  I paid my excess over the stated value in each venue.  So, future cruisers, YMMV!