Just off the Bliss. Possible Norovirus

schmoopie17

54 minutes ago, Ella2 said:

I've had norovirus (NOT on a cruise ship) and trust me, you would KNOW...without gross details, nothing stays in you at all.  You live on the bathroom floor.  It's hideous.  It's vastly different from anything like IBS or sensitive stomach issues.

I'm also sailing the same week you are and agree that normal precautions make the most sense.  I've sailed on ships with active noro outbreaks and on ships that just got deep cleaned and were the first sailing after noro outbreaks.  Just wash hands often, don't touch your hands to your face (I actually use my knuckle to punch elevator buttons) and use common sense regarding buffets.

We got it on the Star a few years ago it was awful.  Out of our group of 12 I think 8 of us got hit.  There is no mistaking Noro for an upset stomach. You pretty much just spew uncontrolably from every orafice. Obviously you can get it anywhere and the plane ride is probably more dangerous germ wise than the ship.

Do common sense stuff.  Wash you hands a lot.  Try to avoid contact with railings, elevator buttons, door handles etc.  Use you knuckles, the back of you hand etc.  AVOID the buffet if there is an outbreak. Go to the main dining rooms for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  The menus are great way to spread the bugs so after you read it was your hands (carry wipes). 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

My reason for posting the original message was to show the absurdity of NCL to say it was caused by eating food onshore. If that were truly the case, they wouldn't have immediately put hand sanitizer dispensers in every elevator, offered free medical services to everyone who became ill from eating food onshore and propped all the doors of the public rest rooms open so nobody touched the handles. 

One other thing to note. When handing your card to the waiters and bartenders, none of them are wearing gloves or washing their hands each time they handle a card. Imagine the germs on their hands after handling numerous cards. Yuck. As stated previously, the actions of people in the buffet were exceedingly gross and disgusting (which pretty much describes the food in the buffet...not to mention cold).

I don't know ....... some of the tours were food based tours so maybe food poisoning? I'm sure they investigated and questioned those who became ill and if they were all on a tour together. However, it's more likely that the origin started on the ship due to reasons being mentioned. The only person I saw wearing gloves handling room keys was the girl at the desk doing reservations in the Manhattan. She would check people in with their room key wearing a glove and ten she took our room key and soaked both sides of our key card on a sponge that must have been soaked with some sort of antibacterial fluid. There's so many spots being touched by people: Railings, door handles, elevator buttons, chairs, silverware, slot machine buttons ..... it's impossible to keep up ...... I saw the staff wiping rails and buttons often. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

My reason for posting the original message was to show the absurdity of NCL to say it was caused by eating food onshore. If that were truly the case, they wouldn't have immediately put hand sanitizer dispensers in every elevator, offered free medical services to everyone who became ill from eating food onshore and propped all the doors of the public rest rooms open so nobody touched the handles. 

One other thing to note. When handing your card to the waiters and bartenders, none of them are wearing gloves or washing their hands each time they handle a card. Imagine the germs on their hands after handling numerous cards. Yuck. As stated previously, the actions of people in the buffet were exceedingly gross and disgusting (which pretty much describes the food in the buffet...not to mention cold).

You don't get it. Getting a bug from food eaten ashore is still a bug. You don't want that bug to spread to people who did not go ashore and eat the contaminated foods. The ship did EXACTLY what they were suppose to. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tallnthensome said:

There's so many spots being touched by people: Railings, door handles, elevator buttons, chairs, silverware, slot machine buttons ..... it's impossible to keep up

I have started carrying a bottle of a hand sanitizer that is labeled as effective against norovirus and using it right before eating, even if I have used the provided sanitizer on entering the room. By "right before" I mean after handing back the menu in a dining room, or when I sit down with a plate in the buffet.

FWIW, common brands of hand sanitizer are not labeled as effective against norovirus, and those that are can seldom be found in stores (but can be ordered online). I say "labeled as effective" rather than "proven effective" because it is almost impossible to prove.

Everything is fine people.  This affected a very minimal number of people, and this is something that can happen anywhere. It may have occurred off the ship or it may have occurred on the ship.  This is a risk that you take while vacationing or being anywhere in public.

NCL does an amazing job at trying there best to get you to be clean and germ free by providing hand sanitizer stations everywhere, public restrooms everywhere, and even sinks at the entrance to the buffets.  

Like some other people have said, some people just sadly ignore the requests of the crew members to sanitize, which is sad and unfortunate.  

Enjoy your vacation everyone, and do not worry.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

During our 15 day March 30 Panama Canal cruise, many people (including both my wife and myself) became ill with stomach cramping issues. Coincidentally, an announcement was made over the PA system that many people had become ill by "eating onshore". As a result they offered free medical visits to anyone experiencing symptoms by calling 00 on the cabin phone. We both called multiple times but the phone was never answered. 

Very odd situation. Not only were they blaming the situation on "eating onshore", but nobody picking up the phone was also strange. It should be noted that NCL played this very close to the vest, as crew members were very tight-lipped about the situation, but it was obvious by the announcement (and the fact that hand sanitizer dispensers instantly appeared in all elevators) what was going on. We also overheard a passenger at the pool telling people that he had been quarantined to his cabin for a couple of days.

I realize that viruses are a potential hazard when cruising, flying, or just about any other activity of daily living, but found the handling of this situation to be very odd. Apparently, NCL thinks everyone who became did so as a result by eating "onshore" and not on the ship. 

No idea what really was the cause, but I can guarantee you if it was noro, the ship would do everything in their power to get it under control and they would be very upfront about it. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ashleyriley said:

I actually have noticed this same thing at the buffet from the older demographic on my last two cruises.  An elderly lady ate shrimp that was hanging off her plate, licked her fingers one by one, then proceeded to pick up a serving spoon. An NCL buffet worker witnessed it along with me and kindly asked her to wash her hands and offered to hold her plate. The lady refused , yelling at the NCL employee.  I know this behavior happens with people of all ages sometimes but age was noticable then. Whatever age, it is so selfish and unfair to put other passengers at risk of illness.

and we have noticed it from all age groups, not just the elderly. BTW, someone mentioned the crew serving food at the buffet. Indeed, here are many ways to know if noro is suspected. that is one, as well as no salt and pepper shakers, and lots of other precautions the ships take.

Back to the behavior at buffets, we say this on our last cruise at the outside burger table jusst a few months ago. Very similar, a lady licking her fingers while in line and then putting the serving spoon back. She and  her friend did several things like that, so I told my husband not to touch the spoon. The lady heard me and got really pissed. Inside the day earlier I was something similar. I will add, in the first case the ladies were from Canada and the second time she was a middle aged woman, probably mid eastern. In neither case did I think it was due to demographics. It was more due to bad manners. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

So, you're saying that it's typical for a cruise line to make an announcement to the entire ship that if you ate something on shore that made you sick, they'll provide free medical care? 

Pretty much yes. They do not take viruses lightly and it does appear at this time, what was causing some to get sick was not the noro virus.  

• Like 1

As everyone has noted, if it was norovirus, it will be very obvious on any cruise line and ship.

In this situation, it sounds like someone (a few?) were sick after an excursion (food related?).  

Ship personnel want ANYONE who is sick to visit the infirmary.  They DO NOT want any sort of illness to spread, regardless of the source of the illness.  That’s probably why they offered a no charge infirmary visit.  They were being overly cautious.  That’s a good thing!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

and we have noticed it from all age groups, not just the elderly. BTW, someone mentioned the crew serving food at the buffet. Indeed, here are many ways to know if noro is suspected. that is one, as well as no salt and pepper shakers, and lots of other precautions the ships take.

Back to the behavior at buffets, we say this on our last cruise at the outside burger table jusst a few months ago. Very similar, a lady licking her fingers while in line and then putting the serving spoon back. She and  her friend did several things like that, so I told my husband not to touch the spoon. The lady heard me and got really pissed. Inside the day earlier I was something similar. I will add, in the first case the ladies were from Canada and the second time she was a middle aged woman, probably mid eastern. In neither case did I think it was due to demographics. It was more due to bad manners. 

If you wish to quote me then please pay attention and actually read what I wrote. I said, " I know this behavior happens with people of all ages sometimes but age was noticable then." To clarify, I fully understand that poor buffet etiquette and manners can happen with people of ALL ages. However, on my past two cruises it WAS an older demographic that I was seeing this behavior from and I was quite surprised. I was also commenting on another person's post upthread describing the same experience. 

On 4/15/2019 at 10:50 AM, tallnthensome said:

I just got off the cruise with you. Indeed there was some tight lipped issues going on. As the captain said they believed the issues were related to the tours .... many of which were food based or had food served. Do we know that's the case? We don't..... We were also told that there were many crew members were out sick. Did you also notice that all the public restroom doors were propped open? They did that so nobody had to grab the door handles ......... 

I will also say this. I have never seen more sickening unsanitary behavior by passengers  then I did on this cruise. This cruise was a much older demographic due to the price and length of the cruise. I witnessed older guests not washing their hands after using the restroom, hence the door propping. The buffet ..... Oh man ..... the buffet. What a germ factory. I watched countless times people eating food off their plates while standing in line and over other food ..... To make that worse, I witnessed several finger lickers at the buffet that would lick their fingers while in line and then grab the food tongs ..... I couldn't believe it! So nasty! I watched people cough and sneeze right into their hands in the buffet then grab the tongs as well. Have people no brains or common sense anymore? These are the people that get and spread norovirus and then wonder why or how they got it or why there is an outbreak. The buffet was a germ factory and most of the people I saw doing these things were older. I don't know if their minds are slipping but it was just unreal and gross ....... The ship did a great job with sanitizers, washy washy, cleaning and counter measures ...... It was the negligence of the passengers that led to the spread, I guarantee that ......

Excellent post. You see this nasty stuff on every cruise. They should play a video in the staterooms about cruiseship hygeine. Don't eat in line, use the tongs on the buffet, don't put your water bottle up to the water dispenser for a refill, wash your hands with hot water and soap.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ashleyriley said:

If you wish to quote me then please pay attention and actually read what I wrote. I said, " I know this behavior happens with people of all ages sometimes but age was noticable then." To clarify, I fully understand that poor buffet etiquette and manners can happen with people of ALL ages. However, on my past two cruises it WAS an older demographic that I was seeing this behavior from and I was quite surprised. I was also commenting on another person's post upthread describing the same experience. 

I was not quoting you, when someone sends a response it is simply just that; a response, but not to be taken as a direct quote. I was responding primarily because you and another pointed the age thing. I was clarifying, I saw similar situations but didn't find it necessary to bring up the age or the ethnic make up of those I witnessed I did mention them just to make a point: we don't need to add certain comments. It did wound as though you think the poor hygiene  habits are more common is one group over other. This is certainly not the case. 

I was on the March 30 Bliss cruise.  It was my choice to skip the buffet in favor of being served at the other venues. The buffet food was often cold and had been held too long; dried out and hard.  The staff did their best to promote sanitation. The guests were another  story. On one particular shore excursion the guide stopped by road side stand and picked up a bag of local fruit. Some people actually sampled it after others had taken a taste! I'll bet that none of those street vendors had handwashing facilities in their simple display.  Dont be stupid people. People in the countries visited are used to what they eat and the germs involved. Doesn't bother them at all. Most passengers dont think about it. Give me a sealed bottle of water or beer over those fruity, icy concoctions handed out on excursions. Dont even get started on the process of disembarking! Hundreds of people in one room for hours trying to get thru customs while those around them were coughing, sneezing, complaining of sick stomachs, etc.

51 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

I was not quoting you, when someone sends a response it is simply just that; a response, but not to be taken as a direct quote. I was responding primarily because you and another pointed the age thing. I was clarifying, I saw similar situations but didn't find it necessary to bring up the age or the ethnic make up of those I witnessed I did mention them just to make a point: we don't need to add certain comments. It did wound as though you think the poor hygiene  habits are more common is one group over other. This is certainly not the case. 

When you  receive a notification it states a poster "quoted you" does it not?  It was a simple observation,  one that I said I surprised me. One usually sees this behavior in young people who may not know better, not the older generation who has life experience. With that, I will be happy to allow you the last word as it seems it brings you great joy to pick apart every little word and argue. I don't have the patience nor the time. Have a lovely night!

Edited by ashleyriley
Typo

On 4/15/2019 at 1:59 PM, YVRBassElectric said:

I also have a sensitive stomach - took me years to figure out it's usually raw onions. I also travel with a tone of OTC meds + crackers (if meal to spicy or greasy) & nuts (or other portable protein, stomach doesn't like being empty).

I don't eat with my hands when I am traveling (unless I can wash my hand immediately before), don't eat at the buffet & I avoid the public restrooms as much as possible. Over 150 days on cruises & I haven't caught anything on board.

It's funny you should mention sensitive stomach/raw onions. 

I have a severe allium allergy - garlic, onions, shallots and everything in that family can really impact me. Garlic is the worst and I carry an epipen for it, but the rest will give me terrible gastro-distress.  It's one of the reasons I prefer to eat at the specialty restaurants when I cruise, as there is a little more control over what I'll be eating (even what I'm eating around).  I've been lucky never to catch any bug on my cruises but I pack enough meds to be safe 🙂

2 hours ago, ashleyriley said:

When you  receive a notification it states a poster "quoted you" does it not?  It was a simple observation,  one that I said I surprised me. One usually sees this behavior in young people who may not know better, not the older generation who has life experience. With that, I will be happy to allow you the last word as it seems it brings you great joy to pick apart every little word and argue. I don't have the patience nor the time. Have a lovely night!

Don't apologize for what you saw to someone that feels that they are the PC police ..... I hate that.  You saw what you saw and I saw what I saw .... no need to hide it. What if I said how rude the asian passengers were in the buffet and that had no concept of what a line was, how not to loiter at one dish, make room for others, and cutting was inappropriate. What if I said these same people had a habit of picking up food with tongs to smell the food and put it back as well ...... Don't worry I won't say it ...... That would not be nice or PC ..... 🙄

2 hours ago, WineGal89 said:

It's funny you should mention sensitive stomach/raw onions. 

I have a severe allium allergy - garlic, onions, shallots and everything in that family can really impact me. Garlic is the worst and I carry an epipen for it, but the rest will give me terrible gastro-distress.  It's one of the reasons I prefer to eat at the specialty restaurants when I cruise, as there is a little more control over what I'll be eating (even what I'm eating around).  I've been lucky never to catch any bug on my cruises but I pack enough meds to be safe 🙂

here’s another twist on the allium allergy, Aloe Vera is another plant in that family and I’ve an allergy to it when used in any skincare products. Try finding an after-sun without Aloe sometime, not fun. 

A fair few of my cousins have the allergy to eating plants in that family as does my mother but I seem to specialize in really odd allergies.

Peppers flesh/seeds varying reactions depending on the type but I’m fine with dried/powdered version. Also I have a corn intolerance that got me sent to hospital with suspected appendicitis due to the symptoms when it first happened. 

There are all sorts of foods that can cause reactions, some of them build up over time, corn was like that for me. I could eat corn products no problem right into my 30s and then all of a sudden it became an issue.

peppers, aloe and jellyfish those 3 were instant issues for me and my doctor has me warned that jellyfish is heading in the anaphylaxis direction so I bring an epi-pen on any water sports excursions.

4 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

here’s another twist on the allium allergy, Aloe Vera is another plant in that family and I’ve an allergy to it when used in any skincare products. Try finding an after-sun without Aloe sometime, not fun. 

A fair few of my cousins have the allergy to eating plants in that family as does my mother but I seem to specialize in really odd allergies.

Peppers flesh/seeds varying reactions depending on the type but I’m fine with dried/powdered version. Also I have a corn intolerance that got me sent to hospital with suspected appendicitis due to the symptoms when it first happened. 

There are all sorts of foods that can cause reactions, some of them build up over time, corn was like that for me. I could eat corn products no problem right into my 30s and then all of a sudden it became an issue.

peppers, aloe and jellyfish those 3 were instant issues for me and my doctor has me warned that jellyfish is heading in the anaphylaxis direction so I bring an epi-pen on any water sports excursions.

Yup, violently allergic to bell peppers, to the point of ending up in the ER on occasion.  But it's all GI, not anaphylaxis, thank goodness.  If not the ER, then totally out of commission for sometimes several days...

When we travel, we bring a little card with a picture of red, green, and yellow bell peppers, and the local language terminology for "allergy" and "NONE" (or something like that).

I need to avoid "mystery red sauces", and anything where chopped pieces might be (meat loaf, stews).  In better restaurants, nowadays chefs are more aware of true food allergies, and also, I suspect they are thinking of anaphylaxis... which is fine with me IF that helps them take it seriously.

DH has on occasion been my "personal taster", when there is a question about fleshy red "something" (Is it tomato or bell pepper, etc.)  But basically, ANY question, and I just don't eat <whatever>.  There is invariably "something else" that is NOT questionable.

With advance notice, the chefs on board will prepare something without bell peppers, but I just make SURE that I show up to eat it!

Years ago, food prep folks didn't take this seriously enough.  A highly publicized "food allergy" death in a local restaurant about 2 decades ago had a dramatic effect, and things locally changed very abruptly.  (Alas, too late for a bride-to-be at her rehearsal dinner...  That *was* an "anaphylaxis" problem.)

GC

3 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Yup, violently allergic to bell peppers, to the point of ending up in the ER on occasion.  But it's all GI, not anaphylaxis, thank goodness.  If not the ER, then totally out of commission for sometimes several days...

When we travel, we bring a little card with a picture of red, green, and yellow bell peppers, and the local language terminology for "allergy" and "NONE" (or something like that).

I need to avoid "mystery red sauces", and anything where chopped pieces might be (meat loaf, stews).  In better restaurants, nowadays chefs are more aware of true food allergies, and also, I suspect they are thinking of anaphylaxis... which is fine with me IF that helps them take it seriously.

DH has on occasion been my "personal taster", when there is a question about fleshy red "something" (Is it tomato or bell pepper, etc.)  But basically, ANY question, and I just don't eat <whatever>.  There is invariably "something else" that is NOT questionable.

With advance notice, the chefs on board will prepare something without bell peppers, but I just make SURE that I show up to eat it!

Years ago, food prep folks didn't take this seriously enough.  A highly publicized "food allergy" death in a local restaurant about 2 decades ago had a dramatic effect, and things locally changed very abruptly.  (Alas, too late for a bride-to-be at her rehearsal dinner...  That *was* an "anaphylaxis" problem.)

GC

It’s a nightmare at times, particularly since bell peppers get added to all sorts of dishes to “add  colour” all the time. There’s also some random herb/spice that I’ve a violent reaction to but I haven’t a clue what it is as it’s only happened twice with 2 completely different dishes and the second one could have been red peppers hiding in a tomato sauce. But the first time it happened was a white sauce so couldn’t have been peppers. 

Theres been increasing awareness of anaphylaxis in Ireland too since some poor child quite literally died on the street outside a pharmacy as she didn’t have an Epi-pen or a prescription for one and the regulations at the time didn’t allow a pharmacist to give /use one without a prescription even though her family knew it was what she needed. Fresh food outlets here are required to list the common allergens on their menus or countertops but peppers and corn are not on that list. 

13 hours ago, ashleyriley said:

I am sorry you feel insulted if that is what you do feel but I have never looked at this the way you are. I simply think of it as responding to a particular comment, not a quote. Anyway, I certainly didn't mean to start an all out war and will gladly drop the back and forth. In all my years on CC I don't think I have ever seen anyone take one of my comments the way you did. We will leave it at that. ☺️

11 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

I am sorry you feel insulted if that is what you do feel but I have never looked at this the way you are. I simply think of it as responding to a particular comment, not a quote. Anyway, I certainly didn't mean to start an all out war and will gladly drop the back and forth. In all my years on CC I don't think I have ever seen anyone take one of my comments the way you did. We will leave it at that. ☺️

This exchange caught me quite by surprise.

To the CC member who objected to "being quoted", please note that many threads already have many posts, or will soon have them.

It can be incredibly annoying - and at times totally confusing - to try to figure out what a subsequent poster is referring to if they do *not* include the previous comment.  That previous comment could be posted up one or just a few posts, or it could be several pages back.

Without the context, many posts - and sometimes most of a thread - would make little sense to read through, especially those that have continued over days (or weeks/months/etc.).

The "quote" function is not like in academic research, or news reporting, where someone usually quoting for purposes far beyond "context".

But yes, here on CC, quoting might *also* be to "support" or "disagree" with someone else's view (or discuss some information).

Just think about a forum as active as CC, without any quoting for context...!

GC

28 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

This exchange caught me quite by surprise.

To the CC member who objected to "being quoted", please note that many threads already have many posts, or will soon have them.

It can be incredibly annoying - and at times totally confusing - to try to figure out what a subsequent poster is referring to if they do *not* include the previous comment.  That previous comment could be posted up one or just a few posts, or it could be several pages back.

Without the context, many posts - and sometimes most of a thread - would make little sense to read through, especially those that have continued over days (or weeks/months/etc.).

The "quote" function is not like in academic research, or news reporting, where someone usually quoting for purposes far beyond "context".

But yes, here on CC, quoting might *also* be to "support" or "disagree" with someone else's view (or discuss some information).

Just think about a forum as active as CC, without any quoting for context...!

GC

thanks

18 hours ago, eileeshb said:

I found after having Mohs Surgery (use your sunscreen people!!) that I couldn't use the most recommended scar ointment (Mederma) because one of the key ingredients is onion extract.  A lot of the knock-offs do as well.  Go figure! 

I have airborne reactions to lilies - as it's in the same family. I didn't pick up this allergy until I was in my 20's. I don't miss garlic, but man - a beer-battered onion ring...

On 4/15/2019 at 10:50 AM, tallnthensome said:

I just got off the cruise with you. Indeed there was some tight lipped issues going on. As the captain said they believed the issues were related to the tours .... many of which were food based or had food served. Do we know that's the case? We don't..... We were also told that there were many crew members were out sick. Did you also notice that all the public restroom doors were propped open? They did that so nobody had to grab the door handles ......... 

I will also say this. I have never seen more sickening unsanitary behavior by passengers  then I did on this cruise. This cruise was a much older demographic due to the price and length of the cruise. I witnessed older guests not washing their hands after using the restroom, hence the door propping. The buffet ..... Oh man ..... the buffet. What a germ factory. I watched countless times people eating food off their plates while standing in line and over other food ..... To make that worse, I witnessed several finger lickers at the buffet that would lick their fingers while in line and then grab the food tongs ..... I couldn't believe it! So nasty! I watched people cough and sneeze right into their hands in the buffet then grab the tongs as well. Have people no brains or common sense anymore? These are the people that get and spread norovirus and then wonder why or how they got it or why there is an outbreak. The buffet was a germ factory and most of the people I saw doing these things were older. I don't know if their minds are slipping but it was just unreal and gross ....... The ship did a great job with sanitizers, washy washy, cleaning and counter measures ...... It was the negligence of the passengers that led to the spread, I guarantee that ......

I could not agree more, I dont know why the cruislines dont have literature, videos, even information given during the safety drill about how to conduct oneself at the buffet so that other people dont get sick.  Cruiselines wont do it though

On 4/15/2019 at 4:38 PM, kochleffel said:

I'm not sure about that. I interpret it as reasonable caution until they are sure that, whatever it is, it isn't spreading aboard the ship. If they had concluded that it was norovirus, you would have seen a lot more effort: crew doing all the serving in the buffet, handrails sanitized many times a day, and so forth.

WORD