Ocean Medallion Question Thread - Part 1

Host CJSKIDS

Sorry if me expressing my opinions bothers you.  Perhaps you should scroll on by. [emoji16]

Scroll by? Heck no! I find your posts quite entertaining. I just want to know what line is next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

I have been looking on Google and YouTube and can’t find the answer to your question. I would like to know myself. Sorry.

Tony

Guess I know the topic for my next video! I join Royal Princess on Saturday so hopefully you’ll soon be able to search and find one (mine perhaps?) that answers the question. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, idahospud said:

Guess I know the topic for my next video! I join Royal Princess on Saturday so hopefully you’ll soon be able to search and find one (mine perhaps?) that answers the question. 

Idahospud,

I know you will get the answer. I read your post all the time and you are very good at helping all of us a Cruise Critic.

Thanks for helping,

Tony

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MustangGT said:

Does anyone know how to add shipmates in ocean compass

1 hour ago, Lucky TGO said:

I have been looking on Google and YouTube and can’t find the answer to your question. I would like to know myself. Sorry.

Tony

54 minutes ago, idahospud said:

Can't happen until you’re on the ship.

53 minutes ago, idahospud said:

44 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

Idahospud,

I know you will get the answer. I read your post all the time and you are very good at helping all of us a Cruise Critic.

Thanks for helping,

Tony

I do know how because I did it in June on our Regal Baltic cruise, but of course I cannot open the App to do it at home to tell you step-by-step.  It wasn't difficult and I am sure Idadospud will figure it out.  

Basically, you find friends by searching on their name.  Once you add a friend, they get notified and have to approve adding you in order to complete the process.  Once that is done, you can message back and forth.  If you keep the App Icon on your smartphone home page, you will have a notice of unread messages received (phone does not ping nor vibrate as happens with other popular messaging apps). 

To be honest, we also used WhatsApp a lot since we all had internet package and that had group notices and video calls.

PS - Idaho Russets are THE best IMO and I specifically search them out in stores.  Not always from Idaho in Canadian stores unless you know where to look.

Edited by steelers36
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, steelers36 said:

I do know how because I did it in June on our Regal Baltic cruise, but of course I cannot open the App to do it at home to tell you step-by-step.  It wasn't difficult and I am sure Idadospud will figure it out.  

Basically, you find friends by searching on their name.  Once you add a friend, they get notified and have to approve adding you in order to complete the process.  Once that is done, you can message back and forth.  If you keep the App Icon on your smartphone home page, you will have a notice of unread messages received (phone does not ping nor vibrate as happens with other popular messaging apps). 

To be honest, we also used WhatsApp a lot since we all had internet package and that had group notices and video calls.

PS - Idaho Russets are THE best IMO and I specifically search them out in stores.  Not always from Idaho in Canadian stores unless you know where to look.

Actually, I can open the App at home.  My wife and friends are still there as contacts with our profile pictures.  Maybe won't even have to set them up again when we all board the Crown in November.  Of course, I cannot search for other people not being on a ship.

7 hours ago, Doug R. said:

Scroll by? Heck no! I find your posts quite entertaining. I just want to know what line is next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

😂

Not sure who's next, Doug

She Who Must Be Obeyed and I have been very happy on Cunard, Viking Ocean, Celebrity, Hal, and Royal Caribbean in that order.  They have all cut back in some areas, but none that really cranked us up like losing the barrel chairs on Princess.  As long as we can book an interesting itinerary, comfortable cabin, get three meals, have a promenade that goes all the way around, a few quiet spots to read, and a decent Scotch in the evening, we are good.

Princess is off our list to consider now because of their boneheaded program to remove the barrel chairs from standard balconies.  We haven't cancelled our next cruise with them because we are traveling with a group of friends and family. 

Fortunately, there are many cruise lines to choose from and we can spend our cruise dollars where we want. I doubt if Princess will miss us and we certainly won't miss Princess.

See you on the boards.☠️ The Sargasso Pirate ☠️

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

😂

Not sure who's next, Doug

She Who Must Be Obeyed and I have been very happy on Cunard, Viking Ocean, Celebrity, Hal, and Royal Caribbean in that order.  They have all cut back in some areas, but none that really cranked us up like losing the barrel chairs on Princess.  As long as we can book an interesting itinerary, comfortable cabin, get three meals, have a promenade that goes all the way around, a few quiet spots to read, and a decent Scotch in the evening, we are good.

Princess is off our list to consider now because of their boneheaded program to remove the barrel chairs from standard balconies.  We haven't cancelled our next cruise with them because we are traveling with a group of friends and family. 

Fortunately, there are many cruise lines to choose from and we can spend our cruise dollars where we want. I doubt if Princess will miss us and we certainly won't miss Princess.

See you on the boards.☠️ The Sargasso Pirate ☠️

Glad you have your priorities in order and obey them.  Chairs don't personally show up on my "bucket list" because I can always find something to sit on and enjoy the journey.

I'm sure you won't find any issues on the other cruise lines.

12 minutes ago, Grego said:

Glad you have your priorities in order and obey them.  Chairs don't personally show up on my "bucket list" because I

can always find something to sit on and enjoy the journey.

I'm sure you won't find any issues on the other cruise lines.

We are adaptable.  I'm taking a folding camp chair on our next cruise - and it will probably be more comfortable than the barrel chair. Plus, I can fold it up when not in use.  A decent Scotch in the evening will help ease the pain.  All else will be good. 

0fdf3510-33b5-4c86-b49b-5b770998b19c_1.3388d20494c6c19fb9c4b40dbeb3c2ef.jpeg

What do you do with your Medallion when you go ashore?  Used to find it easy to carry the cruise card in a pocket with ID and credit card in a very light weight plastic folder.  Don't want it to be showing on my person when walking around - yes I know the locals can tell you are a cruiser.  Just have a personal preference.

57 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

What do you do with your Medallion when you go ashore?  Used to find it easy to carry the cruise card in a pocket with ID and credit card in a very light weight plastic folder.  Don't want it to be showing on my person when walking around - yes I know the locals can tell you are a cruiser.  Just have a personal preference.

Same thing, when you get the medallion it comes encased in a square holder about the same size as the card. If you have removed it just place it back into the holder and stick it in the pocket.

1 hour ago, Doug R. said:

Same thing, when you get the medallion it comes encased in a square holder about the same size as the card. If you have removed it just place it back into the holder and stick it in the pocket.

So please describe the square holder, is it made of rigid plastic that is larger than a credit card?  If not, that would work very nicely.  Thanks.

On 8/20/2019 at 9:45 AM, idahospud said:

Did everyone see the countdown clock in the Ocean Ready section of the new MedallionClass app? Nothing like seeing it tick down to get you excited for your trip!

IMG_5706.PNG.jpg

Could someone please tell me how to find the count down clock on the ocean ready app? I log into my app and don't see it.  Thanks !

An unexpected problem when using the case/clip I bought from Amazon for use with the medallion.....

When returning to ports, the private security who check your medallions and your ID, could not see my name on the medallion, so there'd be a delay as they fished it out from the case. Oh well, live & learn.

IMG_4463.JPG

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

So please describe the square holder, is it made of rigid plastic that is larger than a credit card?  If not, that would work very nicely.  Thanks.

It is shorter in length than a credit card, about the same width, but thicker.  It will slide into a credit card slot of a wallet or purse without the lanyard attached of course.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Musky Ike said:

It is shorter in length than a credit card, about the same width, but thicker.  It will slide into a credit card slot of a wallet or purse without the lanyard attached of course.

FWIW, it measures about 77.4mm by 54.5mm and is about 8.5mm thick. I found it to be too thick to comfortably fit in a wallet in my back pocket, as I was always worried that the hard plastic case could be cracked if I sat on it. I always kept it in a pocket. I would prefer the thinner old-style cruise card, but the Medallion in its case, no lanyard, was OK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rollingjay said:

Could someone please tell me how to find the count down clock on the ocean ready app? I log into my app and don't see it.  Thanks !

It’s in the new MedallionClass app. Just shows up in there when your journey is linked.

4 minutes ago, idahospud said:

It’s in the new MedallionClass app. Just shows up in there when your journey is linked.

Hi Deb. I just watched your latest video "Unboxing the Ocean Medallion". Highly informative! Thank you. I was particularly intrigued by the clip that you use to hold the Medallion. I'm thinking about using the clip to attach to my watch band - my watch band is one-piece circular metal, so I can't slide a holder onto the strap. My watch band is ¾ inches wide (1.9cm). Can you please tell me if the clip would fit over my band? Thank you. Oh, and enjoy your cruise! Cheers. Bill

41 minutes ago, OzPilot said:

Hi Deb. I just watched your latest video "Unboxing the Ocean Medallion". Highly informative! Thank you. I was particularly intrigued by the clip that you use to hold the Medallion. I'm thinking about using the clip to attach to my watch band - my watch band is one-piece circular metal, so I can't slide a holder onto the strap. My watch band is ¾ inches wide (1.9cm). Can you please tell me if the clip would fit over my band? Thank you. Oh, and enjoy your cruise! Cheers. Bill

Thanks for the compliment. I don't know if the clip will fit on your watch band or not. We're already in Anchorage and I don't have a ruler to accurately measure a doggone thing. Sorry I can't be of more help. I do love the clip, though. Mine is actually metal as I got it a year ago on the Caribbean Princess. I think the ones they sell now are plastic. I can double check this coming week. 

I am planning on doing new videos over the course of the next three weeks. We'll see how well the sucky Alaska MedallionNet works for uploading those!

7 minutes ago, idahospud said:

Thanks for the compliment. I don't know if the clip will fit on your watch band or not. We're already in Anchorage and I don't have a ruler to accurately measure a doggone thing. Sorry I can't be of more help. I do love the clip, though. Mine is actually metal as I got it a year ago on the Caribbean Princess. I think the ones they sell now are plastic. I can double check this coming week. 

I am planning on doing new videos over the course of the next three weeks. We'll see how well the sucky Alaska MedallionNet works for uploading those!

Deb - Thank you kindly for the feedback. I’ll also be interested to hear about MedallionNet up north. Cheers. Bill