Travel restrictions to Cuba. Cruises may be coming to an end.

Retired LEO

16 hours ago, zdad59 said:

Would it deny Americans sailing to Cuba from ANY port or just cruises departing from US ports?

It applies to all US citizens regardless how they get there.  Plane, cruise, ferry, private vessel, etc.

For example, Canada has had flights to Cuba for years.  Canadians are free to visit Cuba anytime they want and that will likely to continue unless Canada decides to follow suit. If a US citizen travels to Canada and boards a flight to Cuba, they would still be subject to the travel restrictions.  How a US citizen gets there is irrelevant.  

There are exemptions for certain cases such as family but that won't apply to the vast majority of US citizens.

1 hour ago, Tony O said:

Well I guess it's  only wait and see what Royal Caribbean  will do with the cruise we booked for this December as all of ports to visit  are in Cuba

I am booked in the fall as well, fortunately fully refundable.  I suspect Nassau and CocoCay will be alternates they'll look at depending on availability or they could convert to a western Caribbean itinerary and add Cozumel, Grand Cayman, etc.  Time will tell.    

I had noted a few weeks ago that neither Majesty or Empress had 2020 cruises available to book (except for one Empress cruise on Jan. 3).    Royal had committed heavily to the Cuba market bringing back or keeping these ships for this purpose.   I wonder what Royal does with these two ships now?  

Edited by twangster

Not sure how RCI will deal with this, but given there could be a significant number of folk booked on the cruise that are not affected by the change in policy (myself, for example, as a non-US citizen) why should the ship not still stop there, and simply deny those who ARE affected the option of going ashore ?

Don't see why we should suffer for a US political decision.

19 minutes ago, Davebhoy said:

Not sure how RCI will deal with this, but given there could be a significant number of folk booked on the cruise that are not affected by the change in policy (myself, for example, as a non-US citizen) why should the ship not still stop there, and simply deny those who ARE affected the option of going ashore ?

Don't see why we should suffer for a US political decision.

I hear ya, but I think the vast majority of the people on these ships that depart from the US, will be US citizens. 

It isn't banned starting May 2nd. That is a misreading of one of the articles. That date is from an article with all of the various Cuba changes and is only mentioned in the paragraph talking about when the lawsuits can start again. That section does not apply to the travel restrictions. 

No details have been announced for the new travel restrictions. None. We dont know what the start date is. We dont know if those already booked will be grandfathered. The last time Trump restricted travel to Cuba it was announced in June 2017 and implemented starting in November 2017. So there is a very good chance that anyone who is booked in the next few months will still be able to travel to Cuba. Until there are more details no one is sure though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RupanIII said:

It isn't banned starting May 2nd. That is a misreading of one of the articles. That date is from an article with all of the various Cuba changes and is only mentioned in the paragraph talking about when the lawsuits can start again. That section does not apply to the travel restrictions. 

No details have been announced for the new travel restrictions. None. We dont know what the start date is. We dont know if those already booked will be grandfathered. The last time Trump restricted travel to Cuba it was announced in June 2017 and implemented starting in November 2017. So there is a very good chance that anyone who is booked in the next few months will still be able to travel to Cuba. Until there are more details no one is sure though. 

Agree- the date was only mentioned in reference to the lawsuit issue.

As far as previous travel restrictions,  those who had already purchased travel were grandfathered- this is the link to the treasury dept info on travel to Cuba  under the people to people licenses when the restrictions were tightened in 2017:

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/cuba_faqs_new.pdf

"While new individual people-to-people educational travel will no longer be authorized, travelers who have already completed at least one travel-related transaction (such as purchasing a flight or reserving accommodation) prior to the President’s announcement on June 16, 2017 may engage in related individual people-to-people travel and transactions"

so we can hope that this set a precedent for what will happen now🤞 but time will tell

Last time we were there our resort was hosting two plane loads from Belgium  who were there for two weeks.  It is not just Canadians who flock to Cuba during the winter.  Lots of Europeans go for two weeks at a time.  Year after year. 

Edited by iancal

7 minutes ago, iancal said:

Last time we were there our resort was hosting two plane loads from Belgium  who were there for two weeks.  It is not just Canadians who flock to Cuba during the winter.  Lots of Europeans go for two weeks at a time.  Year after year. 

Very true. Canadians make up 40% of Cuba's visitors, but there are many other nationalities who flock there.

I think that some people are completely blind as to just how large and how popular, internationally, the Cuban tourist industry is.  You really notice it at the airport when you see so many different airlines flying in from other countries.

Edited by iancal

2 hours ago, gatour said:

Why?

As to the person asking if RCCL will cancel the scheduled cruises the answer is no, they will just substitute another port.

I believe you are right.  All lines have language preserving their right to change itineraries - for many reasons.  It is possible that RCCL might give refunds to passengers who press the issue, but I very much doubt that they would invite existing booked passengers to cancel with no penalty and a full refund. 

2 hours ago, Goofyfanatic said:

Why would you even say that.

I know plenty of people who have gone on cruises that went there and said that it was the best stop they ever made. My wife and I are looking forward to our cruise next month...unless...

We have many Canadian friends who have been going to Cuba for years and obviously love it.  They've been telling us we don't know what we are missing.  We had considered going next winter but looks like that won't happen.

4 hours ago, capriccio said:

We have many Canadian friends who have been going to Cuba for years and obviously love it.  They've been telling us we don't know what we are missing.  We had considered going next winter but looks like that won't happen.

Easy way to get to Cuba.  Fly to Canada.  Then fly to Cuba.  Then take a land tour.  People have been doing that for years.

DON

Yes.  That is one reason why Cuba does not put a stamp in some passports. They stamp a piece of paper instead. You can do what you want with that paper it when you leave.  Some people feel the need to discard it.

Edited by iancal

We seem to be getting somewhat off-topic. 

Since we are among those who have chosen to travel to Cuba, I am more interested in finding out the status of our cruise.  We have a cruise to Cuba booked in December.

Has anyone talked with HAL and found out anything further as to whether cruises will be allowed to dock in Cuba later this year????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Do you have any evidence to back that up?

Well, Obama did open it up and Trump is closing it.  It's a matter of opinion as to why Trump is doing this. The administration says it is to encourage private enterprise and will keep the Cuban military from prospering.  The new regs also mean people will now have to be part of a tour, including those traveling for educational purposes.  Who knows?