Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
cbb

No more cruises to Cuba?

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, fran48 said:

Just saw this article on CNN ....restrictions announced today June 4.  

  https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/04/politics/us-cuba-travel-restrictions/index.html

 
I have contacted our TA to see about our options. Our cruise is not until Jan. 2020 and we are still before the cancel date. We are booked from LA through the Panama Canal.

Since this is not a cruise exclusively to Cuba my guess (it’s ONLY a guess) is that they would continue with the cruise and substitute the stop in Havana for a different port.

Situation may be different for the cruises that go strictly to Cuba only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, fran48 said:

Just saw this article on CNN ....restrictions announced today June 4.  

  https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/04/politics/us-cuba-travel-restrictions/index.html

 
I have contacted our TA to see about our options. Our cruise is not until Jan. 2020 and we are still before the cancel date. We are booked from LA through the Panama Canal.

looks like you are on an Extended voyage  if you are not interested in the last 7 days (that was a Cuba cruise)  see if you can just switch to the shorter Panama cruise

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

looks like you are on an Extended voyage  if you are not interested in the last 7 days (that was a Cuba cruise)  see if you can just switch to the shorter Panama cruise

 

Thanks. Our party of 4 has already contacted our TA to see if this is an option. Our cut off day for cancelling is June 20 or so and we will cancel the Cuba portion if we can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fran48 said:

Thanks. Our party of 4 has already contacted our TA to see if this is an option. Our cut off day for cancelling is June 20 or so and we will cancel the Cuba portion if we can.

If you cut off a few days on the end I would not expect any price adjustment.   And the expense of getting home from some  remote port.      I have gotten off early in the Pacific and Europe and while it was ok, there was no refund.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the ATW 2021 O had already canceled the stop in Havana (due to a port availability issue) and replaced it with Key West.  We wondered if it was really a port issue or if the noise about Cuba was being canceled preemptively for 2021.  Not that that speculation has any bearing on anything of course, but we did wonder a little.  I only mention this as we know exactly what the port replacement was for this itinerary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

How about Kabul and Damascus... they could be "once in a life time too      Ones wants and desires need to be  also tempered with common sense. too.  Reality is very fickle

Well, I was fortunate enough to have visited Damascus when it was still there some years ago and M was fortunate enough to have visited Iran during the Shah’s regime.

Obviously, either place is not an option now - hence one has to do these types of things when one can without delay or hesitation as future is not guaranteed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Well, I was fortunate enough to have visited Damascus when it was still there some years ago and M was fortunate enough to have visited Iran during the Shah’s regime.

Obviously, either place is not an option now - hence one has to do these types of things when one can without delay or hesitation as future is not guaranteed.

For sure.  A bunch of places that we have visited that we will not go back to again.  Need to stay safe.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just spoke to our TA who just spoke with her O rep.  We aren't going to Cuba.  We are on the NYE Insignia out of Miami.  She said O is coming up with an alternate itinerary hopefully by next week that will be "attractively priced" whatever that means.  Glad I bought insurance for my flights.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

I just spoke to our TA who just spoke with her O rep.  We aren't going to Cuba.  We are on the NYE Insignia out of Miami.  She said O is coming up with an alternate itinerary hopefully by next week that will be "attractively priced" whatever that means.  Glad I bought insurance for my flights.  

 

The Feb 1, 2020 cruise  is now 40% off for those who have already booked and stay booked on the new itinerary.  (according to another post).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

 

The Feb 1, 2020 cruise  is now 40% off for those who have already booked and stay booked on the new itinerary.  (according to another post).

 

But more importantly what's the itinerary?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

 

But more importantly what's the itinerary?  

 

Don't know what your itinerary will be.  I was just commenting on the substantial discount they are receiving.  Only you can decide if it is enough of an incentive.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found that posting you referred to it said,  "The following was posted today on our Roll Call that the 2/1/2020 cruise is "cancelled" and replaced with an itinerary of St. Barts, Martinique, St. Lucia, Antigua, San Juan and Bahamas, round trip Miami.    Those booked who accept this itinerary will receive a 40% discount."   

 

I might consider that itinerary for 40% off.  Except for SJ and Bahamas we haven't done those others.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife and I are booked on the July 18 sailing of the Insignia to Cuba.  I just got off the phone with Oceania and was advised that it is altering the itinerary of the cruise to eliminate the Cuba stops.  So even though the new restrictions contained a grandfathering provision for persons who had already paid for travel arrangements, the restrictions on the cruise lines apparently kick in right away without the grandfathering coverage.  It is unclear as to whether a cruise line can apply for a permit or exemption for an already scheduled voyage, but, if so, Oceania does not appear to be doing so.  Although Oceania will be reducing the fare by 50%, given that we have already been to all of the Caribbean destinations, this really sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, rowala said:

My wife and I are booked on the July 18 sailing of the Insignia to Cuba.  I just got off the phone with Oceania and was advised that it is altering the itinerary of the cruise to eliminate the Cuba stops.  So even though the new restrictions contained a grandfathering provision for persons who had already paid for travel arrangements, the restrictions on the cruise lines apparently kick in right away without the grandfathering coverage.  It is unclear as to whether a cruise line can apply for a permit or exemption for an already scheduled voyage, but, if so, Oceania does not appear to be doing so.  Although Oceania will be reducing the fare by 50%, given that we have already been to all of the Caribbean destinations, this really sucks.

The Grandfathering applies to trips other than via Cruise Ship.  There is NO Grandfathering in the new regulations for travel to Cuba via Cruise Ships.  Many people have seen the word Grandfather however did not read the complete wording which does not apply to arrival via sea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for those wondering what port O might replace Havana with:

 

i posted this on the "New" thread re: Cuban cruises but I've received an update just now from O via TA that says Havana is out for ATW20 and will be replaced with a sea day, then Santa Marta, Colombia

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just received info from O via our TA that our Regatta  Oct 13, 2019 stop in Havana is replaced with Key West.  This is okay with us as we've never been there.  However, we're really disappointed to miss Cuba!  Another brilliant foreign policy decision!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Cuba has been given months to reconsider and re-evaluate their position in Venezuela supporting the current regime. Cuba, a sovereign country chose to stay the course. Now they’ll pay for it with a loss of American tourism. Both sides managed before and I’m sure both sides will manage henceforth.

 

Plenty of places yet to cruise to!

 

Not near as traumatic as to train for years and betold you can’t participate in the Moscow Olympics!

Edited by pinotlover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

I just spoke to our TA who just spoke with her O rep.  We aren't going to Cuba.  We are on the NYE Insignia out of Miami.  She said O is coming up with an alternate itinerary hopefully by next week that will be "attractively priced" whatever that means.  Glad I bought insurance for my flights.  

Heard the same and got the “attractive “ quote also.  LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...