Staff eating at Specialty Restaurants

Hi!

A question that I've been wondering. I often see pictures on Instagram (or in person) of Royal Caribbean staff eating at the specialty restaurants. If anyone knows, how does this work for them?

Do they pay out of pocket? Is this just a perk of the job?

No issue whatsoever with them doing this. I assume certain positions are more likely to have this opportunity than others.

On most lines Officers of 3 or 4 stripes and above (CD, Heads of Dept, Captain, etc...) can enjoy dining in specialty without paying, perk of the job. Many times these same Officers can take people in their departments as rewards/incentive dinners. Occasionally you may even see a whole cast or group in a private room and that is usually a discounted fee for them that has to be approved by their Sr Officer. 

Also, on many lines, cast members, entertainers, lower Officers, etc have access to the buffets and other non-specialty restaurants as opposed to having to eat in the crew mess. Usually a much better option, but you'll see them dressed nicely and with their name badges on. Again, a benefit of the job.

• Like 4

Remember those surveys you filled out??? The crew members get all sort of rewards for that. We had one crew member tell us they got to swim with dolphins. 

Our waiter on granduer told me they order take out from izumi. He did mention the discount the staff gets, but i don't remember the amount. 

We've met passengers who frequent ( like ever other week)  a particular ship  who tell me the "took  XXXX  to dinner in Chops"  I always assumed that meant that the passenger paid. 

We do see senior officers and  ( senior?) staff all the time.

M  

We talked to one staff member on the last cruise, not a lower crew member.  He stated he could eat in them at a special crew rate.

But he was prohibited from sitting with and eating with any passengers.

Our son is an entertainer on the Liberty and at his level he can eat at a Specialty Rest at the cover charge price minus 20% crew discount.  When they have a guest on the ship, there is paperwork that must be filled out and signed by the Staff Captain, and once they’ve got that, he and his husband can go anywhere with us. 

• Like 1

We were recently on the Jewel and ate in Chops on two different occasions as well as Giovanni's twice.  We noticed Officers eating at both restaurants but noticed other staff (we believed to be entertainers), at another table at each restaurant each evening.  Every evening there was a small table of staff, other than officers without nametags.  Did not bother us.

Very interesting read!  One night on Harmony, we saw a large group of the cast (probably about 20 of them) celebrating someone's birthday at Chop's.  They had two large tables outside in Central Park.  Later that cruise, we ran into some of the cast at lunch at Park Cafe, and they told us they get a discount for specialty restaurants.