Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

So Icon is due to be delivered to Royal Caribbean in October .

Her first revenue sailing is January 2024.

I am aware they want plenty of time to work through all the new systems , venues etc on the ship and get staff up to speed , but what are the chances of there being a couple of short shakedown cruises maybe from the UK or somewhere in Europe  prior to her going across the Atlantic to Miami ?

22 minutes ago, Trixie21 said:

what are the chances of there being a couple of short shakedown cruises maybe from the UK or somewhere in Europe  prior to her going across the Atlantic to Miami ?

For regular customers, very low. 

10 minutes ago, ISHOULDABENAPIRATE said:

When Allure was completed early they added a "pre maiden voyage". We got a great deal because they had to fill the ship in a short time. 

When I booked the inaugural on Symphony and the ship was ready like a month early - they simply changed the date of the inaugural!  So all of us that paid a premium for booking the first were SOL.  They DID offer us to all be able to move without fees, but like many others my plane ticket and hotel were already booked so I just stayed on the original booking.  It was a lesson learned for me to never book another Inaugural because you never know if it will actually end up being the Inaugural!

I still had a great cruise on Symphony though.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 6:53 AM, Lloyd555 said:

From Hemiva Oy

· 
A month ago, we finally got in place our whole walls windows in our two-story suite cabins. Now we can get the installation going at full speed.
We are building a new luxury world biggest cruise ship, RCCL Icon Of The Seas in Meyer Turku Shipyard.
Our scope is build 61pcs. luxury cabin. Cabins are built on board. The largest cabin, the Royal Suite, is a two-story 130m2.
At the moment we are preparing our areas for the ship's first sea trial. According to the plan, the ship leaves the yard on Sunday.

Hermiva2.thumb.jpg.fb9a7d7e4b79fb1a80034d8e419719db.jpg

I have a few questions that someone much smarter than I may be able to answer.  Thanks in advance.

1)  Could someone clarify what they are saying here?  "Our scope is build 61pcs. luxury cabin. Cabins are built on board. The largest cabin, the Royal Suite, is a two-story 130m2."

Is Hemiva Oy building 61 of this class of cabins or are they built using 61 pieces (or maybe 61 shipping containers?)  Or is "61pcs." an abbreviation for a type of cabin?  It doesn't seem like they would be building 61 of the Royal Suites that they mentioned in those few sentences.

2) How many and what type of the cabins are actually "built on board"?  I assume it would only be some of the very largest, but I thought even those would be modular sections built elsewhere and stuck together once on board.

3)  Have ALL of the pre-built cabins been put in place by now?

4)  How many different companies are involved in building the cabins offsite?

22 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

Is Hemiva Oy building 61 of this class of cabins or are they built using 61 pieces (or maybe 61 shipping containers?

They likely mean they are building 61 suites of various sizes/configurations - the ones which can't be modularized.

5 hours ago, Trixie21 said:

So Icon is due to be delivered to Royal Caribbean in October .

Her first revenue sailing is January 2024.

I am aware they want plenty of time to work through all the new systems , venues etc on the ship and get staff up to speed , but what are the chances of there being a couple of short shakedown cruises maybe from the UK or somewhere in Europe  prior to her going across the Atlantic to Miami ?

More of a chance on them adding a few December sailings from Miami to capitalize on the premium holiday sailings. 

On 6/19/2023 at 7:32 AM, davidrlewis2302 said:

I know she is bigger than the Oasis class - but she doesn't look it.  I guess it's just proportions.  The Oasis class always seems wide compared to the length, but she looks a bit more even.

I noticed this as well some time ago. On Icon there is 7 decks of cabins with balconies from the outside... on Oasis class there are 8 decks. Something about the ship does not make it look as big as Oasis class. Maybe in person it will look different.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2023 at 1:44 AM, davidrlewis2302 said:

But on paper, she isn’t. I think it’s all down to proportions. She’s longer, so looks less fat! 

Oh.. is that all I need to do? Get longer, and I will look less fat. I need to get going on that. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 6/22/2023 at 1:44 AM, davidrlewis2302 said:

Either way, I don’t think Allure is the biggest anymore. That goes to Wonder, which although the same class, is longer and higher tonnage. 

looking at the photos of Icon, she does look narrower than the Oasis class. But on paper, she isn’t. I think it’s all down to proportions. She’s longer, so looks less fat! 

Hence the problem that all of us vertically challenged people complain about!

• Haha 1