Things that Celebrity have done away with that you would like to see back

Fixit2010

On 2/17/2020 at 2:01 PM, Mike981 said:

Our first cruise was on the Mercury in 2000 (talk about being spoiled right out of the gate). Now the MDR is night and day different. It was a tad stuffy for us, but now they have gone too far the other way. I honestly don't remember (to many drinks of the day in between) much else except the employee to guest ratio was much better.

If you slip over to other cruise lines forums, they all have the same topics. "Remember when?" I like the fact that I pay the same or less and still enjoy myself.

Like Jim said above, times change. And if you REALLY want to go back to the old days, there are options for you to try. It's just going to cost a lot more.

You are so right about the other cruise lines receiving the same comments.  I am a frequent HAL cruiser and people are always complaining about the lowering of the quality of the cruise experience.  My daughter told me one day we were all complainers.  I told her that is why this site is called "cruisecritic"!

St. Louis Sal

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, St. Louis Sal said:

I was just on the Infinity and ate at Blu. I remarked to my husband that I got more asparagus on my plate at breakfast than I did on my plate at dinner. 

St. Louis Sal

I experienced the exact same on Infinity in October 2018.  By April 2019, quite a bit had changed.  Whether it was a cut that they've backpedaled on, or a temporarily supply issue, I'm glad to hear things are returning to normal.

On 2/21/2020 at 1:18 PM, Argo. said:

A cooling sorbet around the pool...

On 2/21/2020 at 1:27 PM, davekathy said:

I forgot all about the sorbet parade. Thanks for the memories. 

Someone must have heard ya, we ended up with sorbet last week on the Summit on a scorching sea day!

• Like 2

On 4/28/2019 at 5:27 AM, hcat said:

Are you saying you miss the two daily bottles of Spring water in AQ or that you were given 2 cans each day? 

We only rec' d two welcome waters but it tasted awful!

And there was I thinking that Aqua Class was for Teatoters who received daily water 

Have sailed Celebrity since 92 with my family, wife, two kids and have seen huge changes.  I have read all the pages and agree with many things posters have said. Main thing I would bring up is dining in the MDR. I have not eaten in a Celebrity restaurant including Specialties that is as good as the MDR experience in the 90s under Michel Roux. This was every night and covers both Food and Service.

Most don’t remember this but when you were in the buffet they had trays and when you were finished choosing your food a waiter took your tray and helped you to your seat.

Another thing not mentioned is the Casual dining in the buffet area. This was actually Celebrity’s first specialty restaurant.  They charged you a big $2 pp and you were served a three course menu with waiters off a different menu than the MDR.

I have no problem with change but some things like the removal of the two water bottles in Aqua was just cheap and penny pinching.

• Like 6

• 3 years later...
6 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Non-smoking/vaping ships.

Really? Not happy with already having posted the same thing on a bunch of other threads, including one dedicated to that topic and another where the OP wanted a more lighthearted and proactive discussion, you now drag up a thread from 3 years ago to say the same? If you want a ship that has no smoking or vaping anywhere on board either inside or out, buy or charter a yacht. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I miss Caribbean night by the pool where there would be ice carvings, food stations, and the waiters would parade around with artistic carved watermelons. I am also nostalgic for the midnight grand buffet with the chocolate fountains and truly amazing presentations. I am old enough to remember when they had midnight buffets every night of the cruise (although I realize there was a lot of food waste and it was labor intensive). I do not miss the baked alaska flambe in the MDR but I did love the Cova chocolates they would leave in the room every night. Today's cruisers will not experience the elegant ambiance of formal night with most women in beautiful long gowns and 99% of men in tuxes (a tuxedo rental would be waiting in the room if the guy didn't own one). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hobbsey said:

Exterior deck forward to view and photograph port approach. Especially missed entering San Juan, on M class.  But I understand, we must segregate the masses from the wealthy few. 

We sail into San Juan on the Equinox in September, so we can’t at the front of the ship then? Isn’t that just E class?

On 2/18/2020 at 1:17 PM, JSR said:

Tables large enough to have breakfast on the balconies. Or even portable carts like in hotels for breakfast on the balcony. 

Breakfast on the balcony in sky suites years ago. On an S Class ship with butler service.

deck.thumb.jpg.47d9fab67de665fa342906704817a303.jpgbalcony.thumb.png.74bc99882f5c515ca61ee6712efe53a7.png

• Like 3

4 hours ago, C4HCG said:

We sail into San Juan on the Equinox in September, so we can’t at the front of the ship then? Isn’t that just E class?

I haven’t looked at any deck plans for S.  On M forward viewing is only in Sky Lounge. Outdoor deck taken over by The Retreat.  I guess they do helipad sail away by invitation only.  Seems only to be Retreat thru Con class.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

Breakfast on the balcony in sky suites years ago. On an S Class ship with butler service.

deck.thumb.jpg.47d9fab67de665fa342906704817a303.jpgbalcony.thumb.png.74bc99882f5c515ca61ee6712efe53a7.png

Now that is very nice.  You see the rollout tables for breakfast,  lunch, and dinner  on the balcony at some of the nicer hotels when you order room service.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1