Power Strips Confiscated?

Strips WITHOUT SURGE PROTECTION should be allowed.  They will likely "hold" strips with surge protection.  I find that my $1.78 Walmart 3 receptacle plug-in works just fine. Fire is the biggest fear on a ship and ship wiring is NOT like in a house or building at home. 

Edited by hpeabody

Any extension device must not be surge protected. If you go to Amazon and search for cruise extension strips you will find several.  Agree with post about a simple 3 receptacle plug in. 

Edited by Alaskanb

From the FAQ's

*Electrical devices such as small fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords without surge protectors are allowed onboard when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

I had a power strip packed on my most recent cruise on the Regal Princess.  It was taken from me.  Later that same day a power strip was delivered to my cabin, but it wasn't mine.

3 hours ago, Alaskanb said:

Any extension device must not be surge protected. If you go to Amazon and search for cruise extension strips you will find several.  Agree with post about a simple 3 receptacle plug in. 

I bought a 3 plug strip at DOLLAR TREE for $1.00 without surge protector

If all you want is a simple power strip I use this one. The cord wraps around and plugs into the unit for travel and there are 4 outlets. There is no surge suppression so it's fine for onboard. There are many newer items on Amazon that incorporate power plugs and USB ports. As long as there's no surge suppression you will be fine.

image.jpeg.edda26f0dfbd8f04a6be252a17f82c32.jpeg

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

We cruised the Royal in December, the Regal in March and the Grand in April.  Every single time my husband's large suitcase was the last to arrive (long after the others) and once had a label reading "power strip" stuck on his cruise tag.  

So for our April cruise, I bought my own power strip, kept it in the box and taped the printed Amazon description to the box.  It was perfect for our desk...and I even shared it with my husband.  When we left the cruise, I put it right back in the labelled box for the next cruise.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073ZDH43X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2019-05-01 (1).png

Edited by GottaLuvCruising

If it is in the carry on the terminal personnel don’t care if it has surge protection or not. They may take it. 

I have been taking the same plug strip only with me for 20 plus years on Princess. I always pack it in my checked luggage and never had an issue. Last year on the Star I was running late and threw it in my carry-on. In San Pedro at security after check-in they took it and gave me a claim check. Before the ship sails they take all that crap (knives/scissors etc) onboard and give it to security. Security returned it to me the next day while at sea.

I think one one has a better chance if it is in the checked luggage. 

19 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

17DDC43C-1E71-41CF-AE15-4B7C78E13BF9.jpeg

I think I bought a 3 pack of these for something like $4.  Solves most of my problems.  

I also carry a UK / US adapter (which cost me less than $2) which gives me one additional socket for charging.  Most common phone / tablet chargers can handle 110 or 220 so effectively the 2 give me a total of at least 4 (sometimes 5) plugs which more than meets my needs.

We were recently (March 13-April 14) on the Majestic Princess. Got called to the "naughty room" along with about 100 others. Our power strip/extension cord showed in luggage and was taken. Was handed back to us on turnaround day, in the Sydney terminal. When we went back aboard, it was taken again only to show up in our stateroom on the last day. Lots of interesting items in "naughty room" to include rice cookers and travel irons.  As a side note, our hot water kettle was never questioned 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, triple7tahoe said:

We were recently (March 13-April 14) on the Majestic Princess. Got called to the "naughty room" along with about 100 others. Our power strip/extension cord showed in luggage and was taken. Was handed back to us on turnaround day, in the Sydney terminal. When we went back aboard, it was taken again only to show up in our stateroom on the last day. Lots of interesting items in "naughty room" to include rice cookers and travel irons.  As a side note, our hot water kettle was never questioned 🙂

In the naughty room, were there bins of alcohol bottles that were confiscated?  There were bottles and bottles of Grey Goose, Maker's Mark, and the like in bins when we got called down once.  In the electrical appliance bins, I saw percolators, waffle iron, toaster, and an electric skillet.  As if the owners of those appliances thought they were going to starve on a cruise ship!  DH locked his suitcase and they wanted to scope it out.  No contraband was found. :classic_rolleyes:

On 5/1/2019 at 3:53 PM, Thrak said:

If all you want is a simple power strip I use this one. The cord wraps around and plugs into the unit for travel and there are 4 outlets. There is no surge suppression so it's fine for onboard. There are many newer items on Amazon that incorporate power plugs and USB ports. As long as there's no surge suppression you will be fine.

image.jpeg.edda26f0dfbd8f04a6be252a17f82c32.jpeg

Same one I use.....😊😊😊

Bob

5 hours ago, triple7tahoe said:

Interesting - perhaps yours had a surge protector.  We sailed on Majestic out of Sydney in Feb and never had an issue.  I carry the same one as pictured in Thrak's post.  We didn't even have to go to a room.  (I have always wondered where this room is).

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

Why do people need more plugs than the room has already???

Not everyone is like you. Camera battery chargers, cell phone chargers, electric toothbrush chargers, laptop computers and anything else someone chooses to bring as part of the enjoyment of their cruise.

16 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

Not everyone is like you. Camera battery chargers, cell phone chargers, electric toothbrush chargers, laptop computers and anything else someone chooses to bring as part of the enjoyment of their cruise.

You plug your e-toothbrush in in the bathroom, which still leaves another outlet in there.

Then you plug in your laptop and plug your cellphone into it using the USB port; the other outlet you plug in your camera (assuming you have a different camera than your smartphone, but how many do?).

So again, why do you need more than the 4-8 outlets already in the cabin?

Edited by scottca075

20 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

You plug your e-toothbrush in in the bathroom, which still leaves another outlet in there.

Then you plug in your laptop and plug your cellphone into it using the USB port; the other outlet you plug in your camera (assuming you have a different camera than your smartphone, but how many do?).

Multiply that by at least two (sometimes three or four) based on common cabin occupancy.  Everyone needs their own devices and they all need to be charging at the same time.  :classic_dry:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Comparing apples to oranges perhaps, but we generally need an extension cord. Outlet location isn't always convenient for those of us with cpaps, which my Beloved and I both have. He kind of looks like a fighter pilot when he's wearing it ☺️

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Do you stay in suites?  I'd like to know where the 4-8 electrical outlets are in a typical Princess cabin!

• Haha 1