Signs Ignored....by some anyway

EganFire

7 minutes ago, Love my butler said:

Hand sanitizer is not nearly as effective as washing with soap and water.  If fact, studies have shown, people rely on HS and skip washing their hands, increasing the chance to pass germs.  If you rely on people using the HS you have a lot to learn.

Not so.

IMG_7043.thumb.jpg.a2cf654520d9495c0ea4f939d4b37849.jpg

This sign was above a bar on the NCL Sky - I have a question: If the person is 18 they are an adult, why would they need parents permission? If they are above 18 they may not even be living with their parents any longer. What exactly must this note say?

Has anyone seen one of these on a ship before?  I did not see this above any other bars on the ship. 

9 minutes ago, EganFire said:

IMG_7043.thumb.jpg.a2cf654520d9495c0ea4f939d4b37849.jpg

This sign was above a bar on the NCL Sky - I have a question: If the person is 18 they are an adult, why would they need parents permission? If they are above 18 they may not even be living with their parents any longer. What exactly must this note say?

Has anyone seen one of these on a ship before?  I did not see this above any other bars on the ship. 

Nothing new. Longstanding fleet-wide policy.

What is the minimum age for purchase and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages?
Passengers must be 21 years of age or older to purchase or consume alcohol. With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii itineraries, Norwegian permits young adults to purchase and personally consume wine and beer only while onboard and with the consent of an accompanying parent. Authorization will be given only when the accompanying parent completes the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form. This form can be obtained and completed at the Guest Services Desk upon embarkation of the vessel. However, passengers 18 years of age or older are permitted to consume beer and wine when sailing on round-trip European and Australian voyages without having to complete the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form.

1 minute ago, SeaShark said:

Nothing new. Longstanding fleet-wide policy.

Interesting. It has been a "few" years since I was 18-21 so I did not know.  I just never saw the sign anywhere else. and... now I know. Thank you @SeaShark

Can't believe this topic devolved into a hand sanitizer debate.

Here's the CDC statement on it.  It's not as good as soap and water, but it's still a good idea. I use it a couple of times during a buffet meal since you are sharing serving utensils.  And I we should eating hand held foods in a buffet - even bread - as that's the path to infection. I admit I've forgotten about bread sometimes.

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-science-hand-sanitizer.html 

2 hours ago, ClarkBHM said:

Ok, as a non smoker, can someone explain why you wouldn't be able to smoke cigarettes, but cigars are ok?

It’s the Cigar lounge where people can enjoy smoking cigars without having cigarette smoking around. 

Cigars and cigarettes are different and I as a non smoker prefer the aroma of cigars. 

The cigarette smokers have their own places to smoke elsewhere on the ships. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluesea777 said:

It’s the Cigar lounge where people can enjoy smoking cigars without having cigarette smoking around. 

Cigars and cigarettes are different and I as a non smoker prefer the aroma of cigars. 

I am a cigarette smoker and always felt kind of guilty using the Cigar Lounge (which I only did a few times when it was raining).  It IS unfair to the cigar smokers and was wondering how long it would take  for NCL to post signs.

4 hours ago, ClarkBHM said:

Ok, as a non smoker, can someone explain why you wouldn't be able to smoke cigarettes, but cigars are ok?

1 hour ago, bluesea777 said:

24 minutes ago, jaja said:

I am a cigarette smoker and always felt kind of guilty using the Cigar Lounge (which I only did a few times when it was raining).  It IS unfair to the cigar smokers and was wondering how long it would take  for NCL to post signs.

OK  --  also as a non-smoker, I too, do not understand the policy. 

It appears to me & I may be incorrect... 

I do see Cigar smoking in the outdoor smoking area... 

I guess this would be the Cigarette designated area - is that correct? 

If so - I've never seen any posting stating No Cigar Smoking...

If the designated Cigar smoking area is inside - is there a designated Cigarette smoking area inside?

Personally  --  I'd prefer they were both outside - where the smoke would blow away...

Truly, I would prefer smoking had never been invented - as it has wreaked havoc on my family & loved ones...

Edited by Von & John

On 5/3/2019 at 8:49 PM, Love my butler said:

Hand sanitizer is not nearly as effective as washing with soap and water.  If fact, studies have shown, people rely on HS and skip washing their hands, increasing the chance to pass germs.  If you rely on people using the HS you have a lot to learn.

I'm not an idiot, you don't need to condescend.  I know the difference.  I'm talking about people who skip either.
Princess has little sinks going in to the buffet so people can actually wash their hands where others can see them demonstrating their hygiene.
If all a cruise line has is a sanitizer dispenser, then that's what you have to work with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MotownVoice said:

I'm not an idiot, you don't need to condescend.  I know the difference.  I'm talking about people who skip either.
Princess has little sinks going in to the buffet so people can actually wash their hands where others can see them demonstrating their hygiene.
If all a cruise line has is a sanitizer dispenser, then that's what you have to work with.

No, you can simply go wash your hands before you eat.  There is hot water and soap in every cabin and every bathroom!

10 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

Just wanted to say, the NCL ships I've been on have had sinks near the buffet, too. I've never actually seen anyone using them, buuuut they were there. Due to their placement, though, some people might think they were just for staff use. Who knows.

And so my post is on topic...

I took this pic in Nassau a few years back. Five feet to the right of the photo is a nice covered walkway...

Vehicular1.jpg

3 hours ago, dreamr said:

Just wanted to say, the NCL ships I've been on have had sinks near the buffet, too

I know Bliss has this.  Royal's Anthem also has this - they actually push people into the separate walkway where they're located at the entrance to the Windjammer buffet, I actually watched people just walk through there though...

4 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

Generally speaking I will comply with signs, but not always.  Sometimes I will be a jerk and ignore a sign.  I did not comply with this sign that I saw in a bathroom in Italy.

34eq7tg.jpg

This version is obsessed with how your hat is worn...

DSC_0086.thumb.JPG.15cc96b35be2fd5e63b56f22f2d54270.JPG

• Haha 1

On 5/3/2019 at 10:34 PM, adam_s_allen said:

I bet those security personnel never have to buy any bottled water.

On 5/3/2019 at 9:00 PM, BirdTravels said:

FF7DBB96-341D-4216-96AD-D85509773C2A.jpeg

B1B288ED-B525-4B9C-882C-6FFB7DA1A47C.jpeg

Is this purely a measure to increase revenue, or is there another reason for this policy?

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

The artist must not understand how difficult it is to pee in little dots like that. Nobody has that kind of sphincter control. 

I'm just shocked at how much detail the one picture has.  It should also be mentioned that a "stream" like that could be indicative of a problem that requires a doctor's visit...

• Like 2