Signs Ignored....by some anyway

EganFire

On 5/4/2019 at 8:30 AM, Birdie And Sue said:

Except that washy washy does nothing to a virus.  That is just a last ditch fail safe for people who do not wash their hands sufficiently with hot water and soap.  I never use the washy washy.  I do not like how slimy and nasty it is on my hands.  If you really want to comr into the bathroom with me to watch my wash my hands to your standards, feel free to do so.  It is not my job to assure you that I do anything.

You should be happy that people use the hand sanitizer as it reduces the chance of you picking up a bug from something they touched such as a handrail.

But yeah, norovirus is quite hard to kill.

My family was sailing on one of the Disney ships a few years ago, and there was a sign posted on the promenade that read "Do Not Throw Anything Overboard". It sounds great in theory, but it was posted directly over a life preserver, so it was kind of problematic, because if there is need for a life preserver, you should definitely be throwing it overboard. Anyway, my dad pointed it out to one of the officers, who agreed it was poor placement, and assured him the sign would be relocated away from any life preservers.

1 hour ago, Defhermit said:

I am totally with you. I choose not to smear alcohol jelly on my hands because I wash my hands before going to eat.

Alcohol goop that does next to nothing to prevent health issues, it merely gives people with poor hygiene habits a false sense of security to feel good about themselves.  The point I was trying to get across to the other person is that simply because a passenger sees a person who chooses not to use that worthless junk, does not in any way indicate that said person is not practicing good hygiene habits.  Further it is not that person job to demopnstrate to the other passenger that he is indeed doing so.  The washy washy team is only on board to help minimize the impact of passengers who are not sanitary.

Regarding the sinks in the buffet. I agree with the person that said the placement of the sinks almost makes them  look like it is for crew only. I wash my hands before eating and use the washy washy spray but wouldn't be adverse to usingthe sinks in the buffet too. I have NEVER seen anyone using them.But I am sure there are those that do.

Edited by Peachypooh

26 minutes ago, johno1234 said:

CDC says best  wash your hands with soap and water but alcohol sanitizers help:

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-science-hand-sanitizer.html

No, the CDC site says this:

If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.

Soap and water are available on a cruise ship, so you should do that and not smear alcohol goo on your hands. I'd argue that the prevalence of those stations actually gives people the impression that alcohol goo is BETTER than washing your hands, which is not the case.

15 hours ago, Defhermit said:

No, the CDC site says this:

If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.

Soap and water are available on a cruise ship, so you should do that and not smear alcohol goo on your hands. I'd argue that the prevalence of those stations actually gives people the impression that alcohol goo is BETTER than washing your hands, which is not the case.

A lot of people don't leave the "goo" on their hands long enough for the alcohol to kill anything anyway.  I agree washing is better, but even that isn't done correctly more often than not.  They even give us silly little mnemonic tricks to make sure we're doing it right (e.g. "sing happy birthday in your head twice before rinsing your hands") and we still can't seem to get it right.

On 5/3/2019 at 5:34 PM, adam_s_allen said:

I bet those security personnel never have to buy any bottled water.

One time I had a full bottle of sports drink going through TSA at the airport I'd forgotten to leave in the car.  As I approached the screening area, after going through the "Disney" lines, I took out the drink, took a couple big swallows and at the end, before I put the cap back on, very visibly put a big backflush of fluid back into the bottle before it went into the barrel.  Also took a bite out of 10 apples in a bag when driving into California from Arizona many years ago upon finding out at the border I couldn't bring them into CA.  

4 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

A lot of people don't leave the "goo" on their hands long enough for the alcohol to kill anything anyway.  

Don’t most, if not all people leave it on their hands? If they head to the nearest sink to wash off “the goo”, that’s even better for sanitation.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 9:30 PM, Birdie And Sue said:

So you go to the bathroom, wash your hands then touch the door handle that many people touch who may not wash their hands and go happily into the buffet ignoring the washy washy, the sanitiser Does kill germs and I only wish that they would bar people from entering the buffet who won't use the sanitiser, same at the gangway, don't let them back on the ship full stop. It takes two seconds of your time and in your case discomfort to try and ensure the passengers and crew stay healthy and have a great cruise..

Except that washy washy does nothing to a virus.  That is just a last ditch fail safe for people who do not wash their hands sufficiently with hot water and soap.  I never use the washy washy.  I do not like how slimy and nasty it is on my hands.  If you really want to comr into the bathroom with me to watch my wash my hands to your standards, feel free to do so.  It is not my job to assure you that I do anything.

2 hours ago, chaywest said:

So you go to the bathroom, wash your hands then touch the door handle that many people touch who may not wash their hands and go happily into the buffet ignoring the washy washy, the sanitiser Does kill germs and I only wish that they would bar people from entering the buffet who won't use the sanitiser, same at the gangway, don't let them back on the ship full stop. It takes two seconds of your time and in your case discomfort to try and ensure the passengers and crew stay healthy and have a great cruise..

You are ASSuming that I do not read and abide by the sign in the bathroom that says for people to use a paper towel to open the door.  Again if you would get a warm and fuzzy feeling about me by following me into the bathroom to watch me wash my hands well by all means come on in.  That junk gives people like you a very false sense of security and safety.  I'll NEVER use that stuff.  It takes two seconds and accomplished nothing at all.  I do not want some slimy goop all over my hands when I eat.  It is really scary the number of people who think that using that junk is even close to a substitute for good hand washing.

Back to the OP's topic:

How about posters who ignore forum posting guidelines:

Thread Hijacking (Off Topic Posts) --

Thread hijacking is the act of trying to steer a web forum discussion thread off topic by discussing a subject entirely unrelated to the subject at hand. There is far far too much of this going on in the NCL Forum.

57 minutes ago, Buford T Justiice said:

Back to the OP's topic:

How about posters who ignore forum posting guidelines:

Thread Hijacking (Off Topic Posts) --

Thread hijacking is the act of trying to steer a web forum discussion thread off topic by discussing a subject entirely unrelated to the subject at hand. There is far far too much of this going on in the NCL Forum.

ah  - by posting this you are guilty of the crime you are accusing.  Dont worry no one will impeach you

On 5/6/2019 at 8:29 AM, MotownVoice said:

I'm not an idiot, you don't need to condescend.  I know the difference.  I'm talking about people who skip either.
Princess has little sinks going in to the buffet so people can actually wash their hands where others can see them demonstrating their hygiene.
If all a cruise line has is a sanitizer dispenser, then that's what you have to work with.

NCL has those sinks too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Buford T Justiice said:

Op asked for examples of "signs ignored" .. on point.

Maybe you thought the thread was about hand sanitizing?.

yeah your right, good one on point,  i was wrong,