Remember them good ol’ days...

crooooze

Remember back in the day when a few weeks before your cruise, you’d get that big thick envelope in the mail and promptly post on Cruise Critic that you’re doing the “Doc Dance”?

It’s funny how that transformed into postings with questions about picking check-in times! LOL

Aside from tablecloths and lobster nights, what are some of those other exciting cruise memories that have faded over time?

3E743107-E105-4E52-9CC1-2F682DDBF2FE.jpeg

Edited by crooooze
  • Like 8

27 minutes ago, Garf said:

I remember the midnight dinner buffet back in the 1990's and the great pampering.

We've been cruising since 96 and although I remember the great midnight buffets, I'm actually kind of glad they are gone. I could never resist eating a bit more and I always was so stuffed at nights. Now I'm only tempted about 1 time a week and I can usually skip it. 

• Like 3

WINE STEWARDS. PAY FOR DRINKS WITH CASH. CD STANDING ON THE PIER GETTING HIS "%" FROM EACH TOUR OPERATOR AND SHOPS IN ENVELOPES. THE SENIOR OFFICERS SHARING A DINING TABLE WITH VARIOUS GUESTS THROUGHOUT THE CRUISE.  NO TV'S ANYWHERE ONBOARD.  LIMITED ENTERTAINMENT. COAT AND TIE FOR  DINING (ENFORCED). NO BUFFET.  Yes, lots have changed!

'

Edited by TEXASMUNK
added a few more differences
  • Like 3

From my first cruise I remember the shock of finding out about gratuities... our TA never told us about this, and we barely had enough cash left to finish our vacation in Orlando after the cruise! This was before the days of debit cards everywhere, Apple Pay and credit cards galore! Worse yet, we're from Canada and our bank had no branches in the US so we really scrimped those last 3 days!

The new process of paying them in advance is great for us!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cellfree said:

People not carrying mobile devices everywhere hence not looking at mobile devices all the time. 

Sure... they stare at them, heads down, paying no attention to anything else. I purposely  "let" them run into me.  Morons!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Garf said:

I remember the midnight dinner buffet back in the 1990's and the great pampering.

loved the midnight buffets. never missed a one and my midsection is proof. our next cruise, in 3 weeks, is a journeys cruise and they do many things going back to the 80's. one of them is a midnight buffet including ice sculptures for one of the nights. can't wait.

• Like 4

In 1986 my new boyfriend (he became my sweet hubby in 1988) and I boarded the Ship his parents were cruising on.  We walked around a bit, saw their Cabin and drank a toast with them before debarking. There was an announcement over the Speakers telling us basically--Bye Bye.

We were both SO excited that shortly thereafter we booked "our" first cruise, a Halloween one too!!   What a great marketing plan 'back in the day', and it worked!! 🛳😂😂🛳

🌸🌸 Bobbi

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

In 1986 my new boyfriend (he became my sweet hubby in 1988) and I

boarded the Ship his parents were cruising on.  

We walked around a bit, saw their Cabin and drank a toast with them before debarking. There was an announcement over the Speakers telling us basically--Bye Bye.

HA!

Try doing that today without clearance from Dept. of Homeland Security!

Ever since Osama did 9/11, that is all history now.

MARSEC is now draconian.

Here's what my view of my Port looks like

when I try to take pics of the ships coming in!

Two Before shots - then the Afters

-now I get to shoot thru a chain-link fence!

Shallow-477.jpg

ShallowDraught-402.jpg

PortSecurity-814.jpg

PortSecurity-826.jpg

PortSecurity-872.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, samiam0403 said:

I miss the old placemats/pictures of the ships that you used to get in the dining room.

I forgot about these! I think the last one we got was back in 2006 or 7.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Out of Iowa said:

Baked Alaska for dessert.  Pillow chocolates (yes, we really did enjoy them)

Interesting.  We had baked Alaska on the last day of our last cruise (this past April) on the Sunshine.

• Like 1

I miss how good the food use to be. I remember some cruise lines used to do some table side items. Caesar salads, cherries jubilee,  and Baked Alaska yes they still have it but there used to be a presentation with it flaming.  I do not necessarily miss the mid night buffet but I do miss the the ice sculptors and some of the food presentation.  The vodka flowing ice sculpture in the atrium bar they had on a few ships.  

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, crooooze said:

I really wish that annoying Hairy Chest contest would fade into history!!!

Me too....   Change it to big B___B___ contest.    You can fill in the blanks...... as you wish! 🙊  

Edited by jwjax
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I miss the days when the dining room staff and room stewards had less people assigned to them. And there were enough bar staff  that you were served drinks in your lounge chair without having to go up to the bar   😔 

Edited by Momma1980
  • Like 3