Allure of the Seas ~ Recourse

3 hours ago, Cruzlover12 said:

I absolutely can see where having the itinerary changed without better communication would be frustrating. I'm on the May 19th sailing and so far our only change is getting to Jamaica an hour later. I don't have excursions planned and will enjoy just being on the ship. Been to all the ports multiple times.  My only concern is safety, and hoping for smooth sailing with no serious mechanical issues. I've never been on a ship with propulsion issues, don't know if we would even notice. But I have to think that RCCL would not knowingly put passengers and staff in any kind of danger. If they are running at a slower speed, and that allows me to enjoy my vacation safely, I'm ok with that.

Yes despite my frustration, I agree, safety first!

4 hours ago, 5thgirl said:

You're in luck, because I'm not asking you to. Just voicing my frustration with how RC is managing this issue and my own personal situation.

How would you suggest they manage the issue?  What’s your remedy?

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

4 hours ago, springfire said:

The Allure also had propulsion issues in 2013.  I agree the Allure has had repetitive failures.   Royal should have been better prepared for this situation.

How, exactly?  

Using @chengkp75's excellent analogy of a flat tire, how do you better prepare for something to happen PLUS for the repair shop (which is run by a totally different company) to collapse on itself?

When I hit a pothole last year that bent my rim and killed my tire on my way to work one night, I put the "donut" spare on it and limped around at the reduced speeds required of the donut spare tire, which meant that I had to alter my route home from work the next morning.  I normally would drive on the 70mph interstate highway, but had to take back roads and go slower than normal because of the limitations of the temporary fix.  

Fortunately, it was on a weekday and I was able to get in to the garage and get a new wheel and tire put on the car.  But if it had happened on a weekend, I would have had to drive back roads / altered itinerary at a slower speed until I could get in to a repair shop.

How would you have expected me to "have been better prepared for this situation" as you claim Royal should have been????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brillohead said:

How, exactly?  

Using @chengkp75's excellent analogy of a flat tire, how do you better prepare for something to happen PLUS for the repair shop (which is run by a totally different company) to collapse on itself?

When I hit a pothole last year that bent my rim and killed my tire on my way to work one night, I put the "donut" spare on it and limped around at the reduced speeds required of the donut spare tire, which meant that I had to alter my route home from work the next morning.  I normally would drive on the 70mph interstate highway, but had to take back roads and go slower than normal because of the limitations of the temporary fix.  

Fortunately, it was on a weekday and I was able to get in to the garage and get a new wheel and tire put on the car.  But if it had happened on a weekend, I would have had to drive back roads / altered itinerary at a slower speed until I could get in to a repair shop.

How would you have expected me to "have been better prepared for this situation" as you claim Royal should have been????

Give us a break!  This post has nothing to do with what is going on with Royal!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, springfire said:

Give us a break!  This post has nothing to do with what is going on with Royal!

Um.... what???

You said that Royal should have been better prepared - I QUOTED you saying that. 

So why can't you tell me how Royal should have been better prepared?

Edited by brillohead
  • Like 3

image.jpeg.7de36ab5eeb72c2f78221622e8a970c4.jpeg
Most cruise ships have two pods. However, Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas have three pods. Several ships have a combination of azimuthing pods and pods that do not turn (sometimes called “fixipods”) that are used to provide forward and backwards propulsion. So if safety is your concern, Allure is now traveling with two pods, like most cruise ships instead of a third one which made it possible for them to travel at greater speeds that most other ships.

I too am a little discouraged.   We have a double whammy against us with our January 2020 Allure cruise.

Not only do we have the propulsion issues but we will also have a music festival taking place on our cruise that according to RCCL will not prevent us from enjoying any of our regularly scheduled cruise activities .. guess we will find out once onboard (after we have PAID IN FULL and it's too late to make any changes).  We booked a 2 b/r suite on Allure when on our Harmony cruise last January so naturally the price is better than anything offered now .. not to mention our deposit is non-refundable / non-transferable ..... 

3 minutes ago, JayhawkFans said:

I too am a little discouraged.   We have a double whammy against us with our January 2020 Allure cruise.

Not only do we have the propulsion issues but we will also have a music festival taking place on our cruise that according to RCCL will not prevent us from enjoying any of our regularly scheduled cruise activities .. guess we will find out once onboard (after we have PAID IN FULL and it's too late to make any changes).  We booked a 2 b/r suite on Allure when on our Harmony cruise last January so naturally the price is better than anything offered now .. not to mention our deposit is non-refundable / non-transferable ..... 

I can’t imagine this azipod is not repaired before January. The charter thing is a horse of a different color; and I have no experience to share, but will have my fingers crossed.  

5 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I can’t imagine this azipod is not repaired before January. The charter thing is a horse of a different color; and I have no experience to share, but will have my fingers crossed.  

What makes you think that it will be fixed by January? Most in this thread have speculated that it won't be fixed until Allure crosses the pond in April 2020. Freeport would have been more optimal, but the accident with Oasis took Freeport out of operation with no idea if/when it will be fixed. My understanding is that without Freeport and because of her size, the closest place Allure can be fixed is Spain. I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, JayhawkFans said:

have you gotten an email saying that they changed ports?.. I'm cruising on the Allure Feb 2020.. 

36 minutes ago, cruisegirl1976 said:

have you gotten an email saying that they changed ports?.. I'm cruising on the Allure Feb 2020.. 

We are cruising on Allure in Feb 2020 and have not received any emails from Royal about changes.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, cruisegirl1976 said:

15 minutes ago, kag19 said:

We are cruising on Allure in Feb 2020 and have not received any emails from Royal about changes.

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

What makes you think that it will be fixed by January? Most in this thread have speculated that it won't be fixed until Allure crosses the pond in April 2020. Freeport would have been more optimal, but the accident with Oasis took Freeport out of operation with no idea if/when it will be fixed. My understanding is that without Freeport and because of her size, the closest place Allure can be fixed is Spain. I could be wrong.

9 minutes ago, JayhawkFans said:

We haven’t received anything yet about any port changes and I would guess we won’t for several months 

If Royal is waiting to fix the Allure in Europe next year, they need to let everyone know and stop advertising some islands when Royal knows the Allure will not be visiting.   If they are not doing this, than they must be planning on canceling one cruise to handle the repairs in the islands.  Hopefully Royal will let us all know soon.   

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, springfire said:

If Royal is waiting to fix the Allure in Europe next year, they need to let everyone know and stop advertising some islands when Royal knows the Allure will not be visiting.   If they are not doing this, than they must be planning on canceling one cruise to handle the repairs in the islands.  Hopefully Royal will let us all know soon.   

Well.. they bumped us from the Oasis Feb sailing cause the ship got chartered , and moved us to the Oasis.. so hopefully everything works out.

5 minutes ago, cruisegirl1976 said:

Well.. they bumped us from the Oasis Feb sailing cause the ship got chartered , and moved us to the Oasis.. so hopefully everything works out.

They moved you from last February, 2019? To which oasis sailing this year? Or did you mean they moved you from Feb 2019 to Allure?

18 minutes ago, springfire said:

They are probably waiting to see what the expected turn around time is for Freeport. If it gets fixed up and they can get scheduled, they will likely cancel a cruise and get it repaired in Freeport. If it will take too long for Freeport to get up and running they will have to do it in Spain.

Just like the 737 Max groundings; companies announce the changes they are relatively certain will have to happen. For the cruises they haven't made an announcement for yet, they have hope that they will be able to get the repairs done before them. If that belief changes, that's when they will make further announcements. Otherwise they'd make an announcement now, and then if Freeport gets up and running they'll have to revert that announcement and it will just cause increased confusion.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

They moved you from last February, 2019? To which oasis sailing this year? Or did you mean they moved you from Feb 2019 to Allure?

Sorry.. I was writing quick and didn't review what I wrote.. one of those days..lol

• Like 1

On 5/5/2019 at 3:51 PM, WeLuvVacation said:

Cruise ports of call change all the time. Cruise contract says ports of call can be changed or eliimated as the Captain sees fit. If you read the contract you would be aware of it.

Per the e-documents everyone gets on page two. 

" Cruise Itinerary The cruise itinerary may change as conditions warrant." And page 11 #'s 5 and 6 detail all you need to know about recourse options.

5 hours ago, JayhawkFans said:

The change in itinerary is only through October or didn't you read the notice?

Just now, mac66 said:

The change in itinerary is only through October or didn't you read the notice?

We read the notice, but I ALSO read that the only way of fixing this issue is when the ship goes in dry dock, so that is what angers me the most, probably in october, the rest of us will get the same notice. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Deseo1578 said:

We read the notice, but I ALSO read that the only way of fixing this issue is when the ship goes in dry dock, so that is what angers me the most, probably in october, the rest of us will get the same notice. 

OR they feel there is a reasonable possibility that the problem will be fixed by then

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

OR they feel there is a reasonable possibility that the problem will be fixed by then

So are you saying they're going to cancel some cruises for which they've already announced a changed itinerary?  Since the ship needs to go in dry dock for the repair, it seems more likely to me that we're looking at one of three situations:

1) they're hoping to wait until the 2020 dry dock to repair, and just haven't announced the post-October itinerary changes

2) they're waiting to get a better idea when the recently damaged dry dock will be repaired and available and hope to be able to cancel a single November or early Dec cruise for repairs (I think I read that it might be able to be fixed in one week, but I'm not sure and anything but an expert on azipod repairs!)

3) they already know that they're taking it out of commission sometime in Nov or early Dec but haven't announced it yet

5 minutes ago, RW_MI said:

So are you saying they're going to cancel some cruises for which they've already announced a changed itinerary?  Since the ship needs to go in dry dock for the repair, it seems more likely to me that we're looking at one of three situations:

1) they're hoping to wait until the 2020 dry dock to repair, and just haven't announced the post-October itinerary changes

2) they're waiting to get a better idea when the recently damaged dry dock will be repaired and available and hope to be able to cancel a single November or early Dec cruise for repairs (I think I read that it might be able to be fixed in one week, but I'm not sure and anything but an expert on azipod repairs!)

3) they already know that they're taking it out of commission sometime in Nov or early Dec but haven't announced it yet

I am saying exactly what you are saying in your option 2.