Allure of the Seas ~ Recourse

At the possibility of irritating the OP, I would have to say that the very argument being made invalidates the request for compensation. If the propulsion system is a known problem... going on for years... doesn't it proverbially "beg the question" as to why a person would "knowingly" make a reservation on a ship that might "knowingly" have to change its itinerary due to a "known" mechanical problem? Where does the responsibility for the booking decision lie? And, further to the point, why the person when given the opportunity of booking with a refundable deposit, make the choice to book with a non-refundable deposit? It's kind of like posting a Beware of Dog sign on your gate and then arguing how surprised you are when Fluffy bites a neighbor. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Member123 said:

At the possibility of irritating the OP, I would have to say that the very argument being made invalidates the request for compensation. If the propulsion system is a known problem... going on for years... doesn't it proverbially "beg the question" as to why a person would "knowingly" make a reservation on a ship that might "knowingly" have to change its itinerary due to a "known" mechanical problem? Where does the responsibility for the booking decision lie? And, further to the point, why the person when given the opportunity of booking with a refundable deposit, make the choice to book with a non-refundable deposit? It's kind of like posting a Beware of Dog sign on your gate and then arguing how surprised you are when Fluffy bites a neighbor. 

Some folks who booked didn't know about the historical propulsion issue until the threads began popping up on this forum. You learn a lot on here that you wouldn't otherwise know but sometimes it's after the fact

• Like 4

I had not idea about the problems when I booked a few months ago.  My worry is that they end up cancelling the cruise down the road.  I'm ready to jump ship and eat the $200.00 and go with another  ship/line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Allure unloaded her passengers this morning and will pick up new guests this afternoon with an evening departure from her new home port - Port Everglades.   

No, Miami was a temporary stay. Port Everglades is Allure's true home.😉  And I am glad she is back.🙂

6. CANCELLATION, DEVIATION OR SUBSTITUTION BY CARRIER:
a. Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or any activity on or off the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port of call, destination, lodging or activity. Except as provided in Section 6(e) below, Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation

1 hour ago, Artemus said:

I think if this problem just occurred it would be one thing but the fact this is an ongoing problem RCCL Should be held accountable in some way by possibly allowing a refund or some type of credit. I’ve got my fingers crossed that this doesn’t happen with my Harmony cruise because I chose my cruise based on a great itinerary.

Harmony is currently on her way to port Canaveral at 24.3 knots, so propulsion is not an issue with her. 

I'm at Port Everglades now and the Allure hasn't even arrived. Crown and Anchor said boarding would start at 2:30. Issues may be way more serious than they are letting on. Check in staff is saying nothing about it. 

13 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Harmony is currently on her way to port Canaveral at 24.3 knots, so propulsion is not an issue with her. 

I realize that, obviously, but this seems to be an ongoing possible problem for all Oasis class ships from what I understand 

2 hours ago, Member123 said:

You must be a huge RCCL cheerleader to come up with this assumption.  I beginning to think that either people love RCCL so much that they can't admit when their "line" is wrong...or, they are employed by RCCL.

Edited by Nashna
grammer
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Tricia28 said:

I'm at Port Everglades now and the Allure hasn't even arrived. Crown and Anchor said boarding would start at 2:30. Issues may be way more serious than they are letting on. Check in staff is saying nothing about it. 

Is terminal 18 even clear yet? I highly doubt Allure's arrival into Port Everglades today has anything to do with propulsion issue. This is a one-and-done turn over day. They rarely go as planned. 

Looks like she should be visible to you very shortly.

image.png.ac66ac0105effcc698e0f3d0a444611d.png

Edited by BermudaBound2014

I'm on one of the effected sailings on Allure and I totally understand that ports can be changed. I'm not thrilled, but I'm fine. I'm not at all concerned about the safety of the ship. Azipod issue have been around for a long time. 

I think what most people are concerned about is how RCL has handled the change. I just booked on Wednesday of last week and RCL had the original schedule posted. Nothing was changed until I logged into my planner on Thursday.  I noticed the change, no communication from my TA or RCL. That's just lack of consideration. Certainly RCL could have handled informing guests much better.

For those on the sailings that are missing St Thomas, I think it would be nice if RCL offered an explanation about how the decision was made to stick with St. Kitts as that is the only itinerary that is significantly effected. 

IMO, Some OBC as a good faith gesture for lack of communication would go a long way. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, orville99 said:

I’m curious  as to why she’s going all out, burning excess fuel as she doesn’t pick up her new passengers until tomorrow morning.

5 hours ago, 5thgirl said:

. It's disappointing when some of us feel negatively impacted by a cruise line's practices and choose to share their situations and then are judged and criticized and made to feel even worse. 

Feeling disappointed for the negative impact is a natural course to experience.

Whining, stomping your feet, trying to justify your bad behavior, or threating to hold your breath is on a whole new level. That stuff stops in kindergarten.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Feeling disappointed for the negative impact is a natural course to experience.

Whining, stomping your feet, trying to justify your bad behavior, or threating to hold your breath is on a whole new level. That stuff stops in kindergarten.

Really?  Your rude comments are why so many folks won't post on CC.  No one has whined, stomped their feet or exhibited bad behavior.  I suggest you go to another post if folks expressing their thoughts and concerns bothers you.  

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I’m curious  as to why she’s going all out, burning excess fuel as she doesn’t pick up her new passengers until tomorrow morning.

Just a guess, but sailing without passengers means that a lot of energy that normally would be consumed by Operating all of the hotel and public area functions can be rerouted to the pods. Whenever we do a bridge tour, they explain that they can run faster at night without burning any more fuel because everyone’s asleep and they can turn down the power consumption throughout the ship. It’s entirely possible that they’re not burning any more fuel than they do at 18-20 knots with passengers onboard.

Cruise ports of call change all the time. Cruise contract says ports of call can be changed or eliimated as the Captain sees fit. If you read the contract you would be aware of it.

Per the e-documents everyone gets on page two. 

" Cruise Itinerary The cruise itinerary may change as conditions warrant." And page 11 #'s 5 and 6 detail all you need to know about recourse options.

15 minutes ago, WeLuvVacation said:

Cruise ports of call change all the time. Cruise contract says ports of call can be changed or eliimated as the Captain sees fit. If you read the contract you would be aware of it.

" Cruise Itinerary The cruise itinerary may change as conditions warrant." And page 11 #'s 5 and 6 detail all you need to know about recourse options.

So next time someone books a cruise to Bermuda and Royal rakes them to Nassau for the week, everyone would be okay with that?  I just don't think so.  Royal has been advertising an itinerary that they knew for months they would never honor.   

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, WeLuvVacation said:

I think springfire (above) hit the nail on the head. Many people have issue with RCL knowing that the ports were going to change, yet still selling cruises as normal, not to mention failing to notify those effected. I read about a poor bride/groom having to scramble to redo their entire wedding last minute as it was planned in St. Thomas. Certainly everyone can agree that RCL dropped the communication ball. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Just a guess, but sailing without passengers means that a lot of energy that normally would be consumed by Operating all of the hotel and public area functions can be rerouted to the pods. Whenever we do a bridge tour, they explain that they can run faster at night without burning any more fuel because everyone’s asleep and they can turn down the power consumption throughout the ship. It’s entirely possible that they’re not burning any more fuel than they do at 18-20 knots with passengers onboard.

Still begs the question why run at full speed?  Even though they can operate at 24 knots why would they, it burns more compared to 18 knots.  

• Like 1

Listening to PTZ Port Everglades VHF radio.  Allure just put divers in the water and will have divers in the water until 6:30 to 7pm.  Could be unrelated and unlikely a few hours of dive time will fix the issue.  Could be on going assessments or something else all together.  Just an FYI.

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

I'll say without hesitation that what you were told is absolute bull puckey.  What power consumption would they turn down?  Lights?  Ever walked around the ship late at night?  All lights on.  Galley and laundry?  Well, I suppose that is correct, but you are talking about 1%, at most of the power needed to propel the ship is being used by the galley and laundry.  Total hotel load is in the range of 8-10Mw, while propulsion can gulp up to 60Mw, and most of that hotel load is AC (which contrary to common belief on CC, they do not turn the AC down at night).

They sailed without passengers since picking up pax in Miami and disembarking them at PEV at the end of the cruise would violate the PVSA.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2