Closeline Candied Bacon

jhannah

On 5/7/2019 at 10:25 AM, jhannah said:

Have you had a chance to try this in the Pinnacle Grille? It is certainly unique among starters! I thought it was fantastic! I know it isn't on any diet plan, but ya' gotta' step out every now and then! 😁

P1040472.JPG

It doesn't look much like bacon. If you hadn't told me it was candied bacon, I mighta thunk it was something Cousin Billy Bob had kilt and skinned hisself.

• Haha 1

On 5/7/2019 at 10:25 AM, jhannah said:

Have you had a chance to try this in the Pinnacle Grille? It is certainly unique among starters! I thought it was fantastic! I know it isn't on any diet plan, but ya' gotta' step out every now and then! 😁

P1040472.JPG

Actually, it is on at least two diet plans that really work, atkins and keto.

We've tried it and thought it was a great example of fine dining.

• Like 3

Because of my most recent comments on this thread, I rather feel like I have been taken "out back to the woodshed" for an "attitude adjustment".  It worked.  Now, I am tempted to try this Bacon appetizer on my next visit to the PG.  

But, how does one eat this?  Seeing the photos with what appears to be a pickle and other items that I cannot identify underneath the hanging bacon, how should I eat this item?  Does the small dish to the left of the hanging rack contain mustard?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Because of my most recent comments on this thread, I rather feel like I have been taken "out back to the woodshed" for an "attitude adjustment".  It worked.  Now, I am tempted to try this Bacon appetizer on my next visit to the PG.  

But, how does one eat this?  Seeing the photos with what appears to be a pickle and other items that I cannot identify underneath the hanging bacon, how should I eat this item?  Does the small dish to the left of the hanging rack contain mustard?

How do you usually eat bacon?

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

How do you usually eat bacon?

With eggs prepared in a variety of ways.  Do I use my fingers to eat the bacon?  Sometimes, but not always.  

With reference to the PG presentation of this item, how does one incorporate the pickle, etc. into the consumption of this item?

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Wow, quite the turnaround. From 'that is totally disgusting' to hey, I might like to try that. I have to commend you for the obvious about face! 😉

• Like 2

4 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

You are awesome, @rkacruiser!  I would eat it with my fingers.  Maybe try a bite of the pickle at the same time, or even with a few leaves of rosemary.  I do not know what the mustard is for, but if they’ve put it there I would stick something in it.  😂

I would transfer individual pieces to a secondary plate and cut it up into bite-sized pieces for sharing. 😋

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

With eggs prepared in a variety of ways.  Do I use my fingers to eat the bacon?  Sometimes, but not always.  

With reference to the PG presentation of this item, how does one incorporate the pickle, etc. into the consumption of this item?

I don't think I've ever seen anyone use a knife and fork to eat bacon (or a pickle).

I had the bacon appetizer at a Capital Grille no long ago and found it to be fantastic.  Hope this is still at the PG when we sail next year.  One question for a person who has not sailed on HAL before,  what are the chances of ordering 2 appetizers or are you only allowed one for the price?

58 minutes ago, ncshp955 said:

I had the bacon appetizer at a Capital Grille no long ago and found it to be fantastic.  Hope this is still at the PG when we sail next year.  One question for a person who has not sailed on HAL before,  what are the chances of ordering 2 appetizers or are you only allowed one for the price?

You can order as many sides and appetizers as you want.  Additional entree is I believe $15 now.

And yes- it is great!

18 minutes ago, frankc98376 said:

You can order as many sides and appetizers as you want.  Additional entree is I believe $15 now.

And yes- it is great!

Thanks for the reply.  I doubt that I would order 2 of these but one thing I enjoy about cruising is trying some new things and if I really don't like them then I can just order something that I know I like but as far as the bacon dish, it is a no brainer to me.

2 hours ago, Despegue said:

We would always eat this with proper utensils in Europe.

It is not bread.

In Alabama, fingers are considered proper utensils for bacon.

My former German wife has successfully transformed to becoming an American, she no longer uses a knife and fork for her pizza or bacon or bread or fried chicken, etc.

BTW, we even lick our fingers after the fried chicken.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ncshp955 said:

One question for a person who has not sailed on HAL before,  what are the chances of ordering 2 appetizers or are you only allowed one for the price?

On a recent cruise we didn't feel like ordering an entree in the PG (and prefer the appetizers anyway) so we just ordered several appetizers and dessert.  We had plenty to eat.  As for the bacon appetizer, it wouldn't be something I would be interested in, but to each their own 🙂  

10 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

But how do you get the bacon to stay still enough to cut it when it is hanging in the air?!  

I use my finger to hold the hook onto the bar and lift the bacon off with my fork onto plate.  Easy to cut up and eat that way.

Candied is not the best name as it is really not overly sweet.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ncshp955 said:

one thing I enjoy about cruising is trying some new things and if I really don't like them then I can just order something that I know I like.

We enjoy this as well, while at the same time try to be conscious about not wasting food.

1 hour ago, KroozNut said:

Because as the Colonel says, "it's finger lickin' good!"

How can the taste of bacon be equated with KFC?  Chicken is chicken.  Bacon is pork.  There is a world of difference as to taste.

7 hours ago, frankc98376 said:

I use my finger to hold the hook onto the bar and lift the bacon off with my fork onto plate.  Easy to cut up and eat that way.

Makes good sense.  What do you then do with the pickle, etc. that seems to appear with the presentation?

Just now, *Miss G* said:

Eat it?

Well, of course.  But, with a bite of bacon and a bite of pickle?  With a bite of bacon and a bite of whatever else appears to be presented with the Rack?

I still think this appetizer is overly pretentious in its presentation.