Closeline Candied Bacon

jhannah

I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. What a thread!

We'll be in the Caribbean next month and I'm looking forward to trying the clothesline bacon in the PG. I can say for certain that DH and I will share it, rather than order one each. After all, there's that jumbo shrimp cocktail on the menu that I adore! 😁 Anyway, If we like the bacon great, if we don't, then we won't order it next time we cruise! But I think it will be fun to try.....with or without the pickles, with or without the mustard.

To the person who is a confirmed bacon or BLT person, ohhhhhhhh, so good, but not with a store-bought tomato. It has to be a home-grown, vine-ripened tomato. Sadly, it seems that all the store bought tomatoes are like cardboard any more.....except maybe cherry tomatoes, as some of them are still tasty. But they fall off the bread too easily. 😏

Regardless, all this is just my opinion. Best wishes to all and smooth sailing to those with cruises in the near future!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CruiseMGM said:

I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. What a thread!

We'll be in the Caribbean next month and I'm looking forward to trying the clothesline bacon in the PG. I can say for certain that DH and I will share it, rather than order one each. After all, there's that jumbo shrimp cocktail on the menu that I adore! 😁 Anyway, If we like the bacon great, if we don't, then we won't order it next time we cruise! But I think it will be fun to try.....with or without the pickles, with or without the mustard.

Merry Christmas to you and I am pleased that I may have assisted in providing some levity for you in this thread!  Dining at the PG, it is difficult to decide what appetizer to order:  the shrimp cocktail, the crab cakes, the lobster bisque.  For me--and I appear to be an exception--a bacon "appetizer" just does not "cut it".  As I have previously posted, I will try it during my Volendam or Eurodam cruises this Winter.  If it is still offered.  Surely, I will report my opinions of this culinary event.

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Merry Christmas to you and I am pleased that I may have assisted in providing some levity for you in this thread!  Dining at the PG, it is difficult to decide what appetizer to order:  the shrimp cocktail, the crab cakes, the lobster bisque.  For me--and I appear to be an exception--a bacon "appetizer" just does not "cut it".  As I have previously posted, I will try it during my Volendam or Eurodam cruises this Winter.  If it is still offered.  Surely, I will report my opinions of this culinary event.

Merry Christmas to you, too, and I look forward to your comments following your cruise(s)!

Best wishes!

2 hours ago, KroozNut said:

We enjoy this as well, while at the same time try to be conscious about not wasting food.

Since we usually travel with others I find that I can usually find someone to eat what I don't if worst comes to worst. There have only been a couple of times that I just couldn't finish something.  (Escargot comes to mind)

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

How can the taste of bacon be equated with KFC?  Chicken is chicken.  Bacon is pork.  There is a world of difference as to taste.

I was commenting on Rocket's post that they 'lick their fingers after eating fried chicken'.. 😏

14 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone use a knife and fork to eat bacon (or a pickle).

Me either. but this is NOT your average thin slice of bacon. It is several decadent, thick slices of pure bacon heaven on a clothesline that deserves knife and fork treatment. 😉

Edited by KroozNut

1 hour ago, ncshp955 said:

There have only been a couple of times that I just couldn't finish something.  (Escargot comes to mind)

Their escargot is awesome, and I could eat 2 or 3 orders of it. You don't know what you're missing! 😋😀

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

It works well with the short rib.

12 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Me either. but this is NOT your average thin slice of bacon. It is several decadent, thick slices of pure bacon heaven on a clothesline that deserves knife and fork treatment. 😉

It wasn't significantly thicker than the bacon we buy at Costco.  Really no need for a knife and fork.

• 2 months later...
On 12/5/2019 at 6:43 PM, KroozNut said:

Just back from our Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Veendam and had to find this thread and offer my findings as a lighter note to all that's going on in the world right now. This is what I wrote in my "journal" the night after our embarkation-night-dinner at the Pinnacle Grill. And for the record, I gently removed each slice from the clothesline and then used knife and fork...….........and savored every single morsel!

Best wishes and safe travels to all!

"I'd made reservations, pre-cruise, for the Pinnacle Grill for dinner tonight. We've always enjoyed the Holland America steakhouse, and we've found it's nice to avoid the madhouse of the MDR on our first night. Well, our meal was fantastic and our service was outstanding! The bread basket was phenomenal, with a garlic and mozzarella stuffed roll that we've never had before, and it was delicious, along with other breads. We ordered Caesar salad and shrimp cocktails, and their new "clothesline candied bacon" appetizer to share. I'd read about it on Cruise Critic and was rather curious.

Oh. Wow. Oh. My. Gosh. Holy. Cats!!!! That oughta be illegal. Three lovely candied pieces of thick bacon on a metal "clothesline" frame, hanging on hooks with 2 big sprigs of rosemary. Mike, who usually scoffs at me for taking food pictures, whipped out the phone to take a picture of the single remaining piece of bacon after we'd each enjoyed one piece. Then he asked "where's the 4th piece?" (there were 4 hooks on the metal frame). I had to explain that the appetizer is 3 pieces, not 4, despite the number of hooks. We firmly told ourselves that we were civilized beings and pulled out a ruler so that we split the last piece evenly.

When our waiter came to remove our plates, I told him that the bacon should be on the dessert menu. He replied "or for breakfast!" Mmmmmmm. I don't think that *that* bacon should be enjoyed more than once a year! But since we already have a reservation at the Pinnacle Grill for our last night on board, we shall bravely persevere and enjoy it TWICE on one trip! I can't wait.

The rest of our meals were equally (if differently) good! Mike and I shared a filet with peppercorn sauce, and scallops that were perfectly prepared. A baked potato and mushrooms filled us up. But wait, there was still dessert to come! We shared the cheesecake lollipops and a piece of yummy key lime pie. Mmmmmm!

Stuffed to the gills, we waddled out of the restaurant and proceeded to deal with the aftermath of such a rich meal. Around 4am, both of us woke for water, antacids and belches! 😂 But it was totally worth it!"
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, CruiseMGM said:

Just back from our Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Veendam and had to find this thread and offer my findings as a lighter note to all that's going on in the world right now. This is what I wrote in my "journal" the night after our embarkation-night-dinner at the Pinnacle Grill. And for the record, I gently removed each slice from the clothesline and then used knife and fork...….........and savored every single morsel!

Best wishes and safe travels to all!

"I'd made reservations, pre-cruise, for the Pinnacle Grill for dinner tonight. We've always enjoyed the Holland America steakhouse, and we've found it's nice to avoid the madhouse of the MDR on our first night. Well, our meal was fantastic and our service was outstanding! The bread basket was phenomenal, with a garlic and mozzarella stuffed roll that we've never had before, and it was delicious, along with other breads. We ordered Caesar salad and shrimp cocktails, and their new "clothesline candied bacon" appetizer to share. I'd read about it on Cruise Critic and was rather curious.

Oh. Wow. Oh. My. Gosh. Holy. Cats!!!! That oughta be illegal. Three lovely candied pieces of thick bacon on a metal "clothesline" frame, hanging on hooks with 2 big sprigs of rosemary. Mike, who usually scoffs at me for taking food pictures, whipped out the phone to take a picture of the single remaining piece of bacon after we'd each enjoyed one piece. Then he asked "where's the 4th piece?" (there were 4 hooks on the metal frame). I had to explain that the appetizer is 3 pieces, not 4, despite the number of hooks. We firmly told ourselves that we were civilized beings and pulled out a ruler so that we split the last piece evenly.

When our waiter came to remove our plates, I told him that the bacon should be on the dessert menu. He replied "or for breakfast!" Mmmmmmm. I don't think that *that* bacon should be enjoyed more than once a year! But since we already have a reservation at the Pinnacle Grill for our last night on board, we shall bravely persevere and enjoy it TWICE on one trip! I can't wait.

The rest of our meals were equally (if differently) good! Mike and I shared a filet with peppercorn sauce, and scallops that were perfectly prepared. A baked potato and mushrooms filled us up. But wait, there was still dessert to come! We shared the cheesecake lollipops and a piece of yummy key lime pie. Mmmmmm!

Stuffed to the gills, we waddled out of the restaurant and proceeded to deal with the aftermath of such a rich meal. Around 4am, both of us woke for water, antacids and belches! 😂 But it was totally worth it!"

Lol. Love it. I have this mental image of you scientifically measuring the last piece. 

We had it last month too. We are dining twice in the PG next month as well and dh has already declared we will be having it both times. It was exceptionally good. Have to pack my ruler. 🤣

• Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 3:20 AM, Moriah said:

Does anyone ever take a "doggy bag" back to their cabin?  I could see myself saving half of this for breakfast the next morning.  (And maybe part of my rib-eye too, since I'm traveling with another bird-like eater woman friend this time, and not a man who would hoover up everything I left on my plate!) In all the times I've eaten in specialty restaurants on ships, I don't think I've ever brought leftovers "home".  Is it possible?

I love bacon & have had this "starter" on my last 3 cruises (Rotterdam x 2 & Maasdam). I cut it on my plate & eat with a fork.  The 3rd piece is cut up & wrapped in one of the little foil baskets they make.  Great next day.  For you who think it is silly or whatever - there are plenty of other starters.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 6:48 AM, *Miss G* said:

I get what they’re trying to do.  I wouldn’t order it because I don’t like sweet food but I realize lots of people do.  Presentation-wise, it makes sense to hang them on a line for functionality and aesthetics.  

Actually after it is baked on a grid, it is hung up and "torched".  My waiter on Maasdam told me the secret!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

For those asking what to do with the lemon and the pickle - while I like both, as relating to the Candied Bacon, I leave them untouched and eat the bacon without them. I've seen videos of people squeezing the lemon on the bacon before taking it down to cut, but I choose to enjoy the bacon as is.

We do pull it off the hook with our fingers then use knife/fork to eat due to it being really sticky.

We've come to admit we eat in the PG just to be able to enjoy the Candied Bacon!!

And we do get 1 order per table, not per person.

Enjoy!!

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 11:48 AM, Haljo1935 said:

For those asking what to do with the lemon and the pickle - while I like both, as relating to the Candied Bacon, I leave them untouched and eat the bacon without them. I've seen videos of people squeezing the lemon on the bacon before taking it down to cut, but I choose to enjoy the bacon as is.

We do pull it off the hook with our fingers then use knife/fork to eat due to it being really sticky.

We've come to admit we eat in the PG just to be able to enjoy the Candied Bacon!!

And we do get 1 order per table, not per person.

Enjoy!!

We’re dining there tomorrow night. I’ll report back. Lol

• Thanks 1

Last time we had it, and we do love it gimmick or not, the waiter unhooked the rather lethally hooked up "clothesline bacon" for us.

What started this novelty food fad, I have no idea.  And it is an appetite killer, but what else are cruise indulgences for than getting things one would not bother to fix for themselves?  Hello, peanut butter pie too.

Personally, it is one of the more interesting things on the now rather routine Pinnacle menu. So we go to the Pinnacle almost just to enjoy that one frivolous item, more than anything else. 

1 hour ago, saltshell said:

Tried it; no need to order again. Flavor was good. Bit of a gimmick, not easy to remove from its "hooks".

I'm with you.  Sure it was ok but certainly not a destination dish for me.  Glad others enjoy it.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 9:25 AM, jhannah said:

Have you had a chance to try this in the Pinnacle Grille? It is certainly unique among starters! I thought it was fantastic! I know it isn't on any diet plan, but ya' gotta' step out every now and then! 😁

I saw it delivered to the table next to me and decided not to order it since my standards in bacon are much higher.  Usually the bacon I cook and smoke is about 1/4" thick and what I saw was 1/8" or even less.  I am sure this can change a great deal so YMMV.  Bacon is on both my wife and I's diet plan.  Much better for you than rice, pasta or bread (IMO).

Edited by bdd123
  • Like 1