Closeline Candied Bacon

jhannah

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

No, I have not.  And, I have no intention to do so.  

Bacon as starter for a dinner?  Weird in itself.  And, as I have said previously, the entire presentation is pretentious.

Apparently, you need to get out to some more forward thinking restaurants.  Pork belly is also on a lot of appetizer menus.  Bacon done different ways is pretty hot right now on the restaurant scene.  Flights of bacon.  Bacon on a stick.   Gotta love it.  Sorry you think it's too pretentious to with that USDA Choice Double D steak...  Enjoy your cow 😉

• Like 1

Loved it, loved the presentation. Pretentious no! Decadent, FUN and delicious while having a special meal? You bet! Best bite ever is to save a 1/2 slice to make the perfect bite on the pork chop or steak. 

4 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Limp bacon is a sacrilege...

Not really.  If it’s GOOD bacon, there’s no need to over cook it.

And before you flame me, keep in mind that Canadian bacon is very different from American bacon.  Much more taste ( I know taste is subjective) and no need to cook it to death.  Nor a high quality steak, for that matter.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Limp bacon is a sacrilege...

Try some cocolate with bacon in it - Like Vosges Haut-Chocolat's "Mo's Bacon Bar" - comes in dark or milk chocolate.  Use that for a s'more - Oh my!!!

We have had dark chocolates with crispy bacon in it.  So good!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Sounds like you need to expand your horizons a little bit.. 😉

Chocolate covered bacon? No. Maple syrup bacon? No. Deep fat fried bacon? No. Bacon wrapped sausage? No. I have attended Bacon Fest and eaten bacon more ways than you can imagine, I will stick with plain and BLT.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I tried it on my last cruise and can tell you that I loved it. I eat a low carb diet and the candied part of the dish was very subtle. I don't think there is a lot of sugar in it. It was delicious. I think it is great for us following the Keto plan.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, cccole said:

It appears that this bacon is served with lemon, dill pickle, and mustard.  Do you eat it with fingers or cut into pieces with knife and fork?

Definitely knife and fork. I didn't have any mustard on mine. Just lemon, dill spear, and two sprigs of rosemary.

18 hours ago, whogo said:

There are only two ways to eat bacon in my book: plain or with lettuce, tomato, and mayo on toast.

I agree and I love a really good BLT, oh my so good!  I also love bacon on a Burger.  Oh, and on a salad. 

OMG this looks AMAZING!! My next cruise is on Amsterdam. Does anyone know if only the larger ships have this on the Pinnacle menu? Now I have to go in the kitchen and make some bacon.  Not only is this not pretentious, it's absolutely brilliant. Can't wait to try it (hope I can :))

6 hours ago, jhannah said:

Definitely knife and fork. I didn't have any mustard on mine. Just lemon, dill spear, and two sprigs of rosemary.

I would have gone for the mustard as well! 😋

7 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I agree and I love a really good BLT, oh my so good!  I also love bacon on a Burger.  Oh, and on a salad. 

I love bacon on, in, around, near, next to, underneath, on top of, or in any other location it may present itself. BACON!!!!

giphy.gif

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

I had this on the NA in March. While it was very good, (I know I'm gonna get slapped for this) I thought was too much for a starter. The three pieces were very thick. I thought it could be a main course. 

41 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

I had this on the NA in March. While it was very good, (I know I'm gonna get slapped for this) I thought was too much for a starter. The three pieces were very thick. I thought it could be a main course. 

We had it on the NS last month. It is rather large and my husband and I shared it and left a piece. It was delicious but we were trying to save room for the rest of our meal. I loved it as I love chewy bacon and the thick texture of it is great.

6 hours ago, dobiemom said:

Does anyone ever take a "doggy bag" back to their cabin?  I could see myself saving half of this for breakfast the next morning.  (And maybe part of my rib-eye too, since I'm traveling with another bird-like eater woman friend this time, and not a man who would hoover up everything I left on my plate!) In all the times I've eaten in specialty restaurants on ships, I don't think I've ever brought leftovers "home".  Is it possible?

2 hours ago, Moriah said:

Does anyone ever take a "doggy bag" back to their cabin?  I could see myself saving half of this for breakfast the next morning.  (And maybe part of my rib-eye too, since I'm traveling with another bird-like eater woman friend this time, and not a man who would hoover up everything I left on my plate!) In all the times I've eaten in specialty restaurants on ships, I don't think I've ever brought leftovers "home".  Is it possible?

We have never done it, but have seen it done many times; very often, for desert when the ship offers offers celebrating couples a cake of some kind (birthday, anniversary, retirement, etc).

We tried this twice on the Eurodam last month and were disappointed both times.  It is Faaaar from "candied".  And the consistency was much like beef jerky.  Great idea, poor execution … in our experience, at any rate.