Fruit Baskets on Request

BBMacLaird

In an effort to prevent waste and conserve our vital natural resources, beginning May 10th Azamara Club Cruises will no longer routinely provide daily fruit baskets to our staterooms and suites.

We’ve noticed many of these baskets are left partially consumed and others entirely untouched. Unfortunately, we’re unable to re-purpose or donate the remaining fruit, and, instead, are forced to dispose of it. This is not in keeping with our promise to be an exemplary steward of our planet and its oceans. Therefore, a new policy has been adopted.

We’ll gladly bring a complimentary fruit basket to your stateroom or suite upon request only.

Thank you for your understanding and for joining our commitment to environmental stewardship.

• Like 5

I do not think given the eye watering prices charged for suites, their guests should have to request a basket each day.  That’s not the behaviour of a premium line. 

In our own situation had butlers and cabin attendants listened to our explanations of our preferences and observed that we always ate two fruits and never touched others, wastage would have been far less. On many occasions we asked for a basket containing the two fruits only and were told it wasn’t possible so we are guilty of consigning a number of apples and an even greater number of oranges to the sea,  The bananas which we did want were often past their best and always only one, so to get one edible one each required a trip to Deck 9 but often fruit wasn’t available when we wanted it. 

Perhaps instead of having to request and wait and see how (if) and when the request is met there should be a permanent fruit display available with small bowls say in the corner of Windows for guests to pick up their selection as they wish.  

Suites should continue to have the fruit delivered but butlers and attendants should  focus on the guests preferences which they can ask for. 

i trust Azamara will also stop over catering the chocolate buffet, White Nights, Discoverers breakfasts, meet and mingle etc where the level of wastage is staggering at times.  

Edited by uktog
  • Like 2

On another cruise line, a member of staff would visit the cabin and ask if you wanted your fruit bowl replenished. We called him “the grape man” and he would only provide you with what you wanted. There was very rarely any waste.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Good move. 

Phil 

I agree, we always ask our attendants not to leave any fruit but sometimes they still do and it is wasted.

Edited by Bloodaxe

We’ve always found that only the fruit we ate was replaced, so we ended up with the fruit we wanted.

Nevertheless I applaud Azamara for this move, given that people can ask for fruit - presumably if you ask for fruit, you can say what fruit you want.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

We’ve always found that only the fruit we ate was replaced, so we ended up with the fruit we wanted.

Nevertheless I applaud Azamara for this move, given that people can ask for fruit - presumably if you ask for fruit, you can say what fruit you want.

If that presumption is correct and requests are listened to, I’m ok with that when I’m in a standard cabin.  If I’m in a suite the service and inclusions should be as competitors offer.  

2 hours ago, uktog said:

Suites should continue to have the fruit delivered but butlers and attendants should  focus on the guests preferences which they can ask for. 

Hopefully all cabins will have a card left as a reminder that daily fruit can be requested, as they do for the canapé service.  A good butler should check with you when he first meets you too.  

Phil 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Hopefully all cabins will have a card left as a reminder that daily fruit can be requested, as they do for the canapé service.  A good butler should check with you when he first meets you too.  

Phil 

You are right though from past experience if they cannot understand “no nuts” re canapés I might wonder! 

7 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

I also think it’s a good idea as long as guests are aware of the reasons.  It would be nice to have a ‘fruit request’ card allowing you to choose what you wanted with an option for seasonal fruit and/or local fruit to try.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Werangels said:

I also think it’s a good idea as long as guests are aware of the reasons.  It would be nice to have a ‘fruit request’ card allowing you to choose what you wanted with an option for seasonal fruit and/or local fruit to try.  

That would be great. I just get the impression this would be too a la carte to do for all those that request it. A standard bowl of fruit seems to be the way they have wanted to go. Let's face it. A choice of fruit, whilst a nice idea would be very complex to introduce for everyone. Might be something you could get on one of the luxury lines. Hopefully a card system with basic choices. That would work. 

In the MDR at breakfast they have a large fresh fruit table set up with a server. Really good. I guess you could ask for a little stash of your favourites from there.

Phil 

• Like 1

I love that MDR fresh fruit table at breakfast time. The mango is delicious. 

I agree most of the fruit basket in cabins is wasted. Perhaps a request card that your butler in duites could check each day? I don't think this would viable in a standard cabin though, given the amount of extra work it would cause the already overworked cabin stewards. 

For me, they could also get rid of those horrible chocolate sweets they leave in your cabin at night. I always ask them not to leave them and they can see they are never eaten, but the cabin stewards generally persist in leaving them each night. Or preferably they could substitute them with a quality chocolate! 

• Like 3

From memory Princess used to have a fruit request card, not sure if it was only in suites and mini-suites but it seemed to work well so no reason Azamara couldn’t employ a similar system.

Agree with Lottie regarding the evening chocolates but again it’s a difficult one as many people may just perceive it as a cost saving exercise, remember what happened on Celebrity.

Obviously environmental issues and the reduction of food waste are becoming important topics and anything that can be done to reduce it is a good thing. However many passengers will still expect a vast array of choices and instant availability so it’s going to be a difficult one to balance. 

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

That would be great. I just get the impression this would be too a la carte to do for all those that request it. A standard bowl of fruit seems to be the way they have wanted to go. Let's face it. A choice of fruit, whilst a nice idea would be very complex to introduce for everyone. Might be something you could get on one of the luxury lines. Hopefully a card system with basic choices. That would work. 

In the MDR at breakfast they have a large fresh fruit table set up with a server. Really good. I guess you could ask for a little stash of your favourites from there.

Phil 

Apologies I was referring to suites only.  Surely, this is a service the Butlers could do?  In my mind, this would turn the ‘fruit basket’ into a USP for Azamara.

21 minutes ago, Werangels said:

Apologies I was referring to suites only.  Surely, this is a service the Butlers could do?  In my mind, this would turn the ‘fruit basket’ into a USP for Azamara.

As would a 24 hour help yourself fruit box by the coffee machines in Windows with a simple selection - apples, oranges, bananas and grapes.  In this era of healthy eating Azamara should be encouraging guests to eat fruit.  I agree with the comments about the sweet treats, again, a tray of sweets to help yourselves say at Mosaic, in the Living Room and perhaps on leaving the cabaret might be a compromise for those who want something sweet before bedtime.  

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1

I also think this is a good idea, but hope that as Phil suggested, each cabin has a "fruit request" card so that passengers know it's an option to request fruit for the room.  I'd also like to see the wait staff bring around a tray of bread/rolls and serve rather than place a basket at each table to cut down on waste.

Now, if I could only get spotty bananas, I'd be very happy 🙂

• Like 1

As a newcomer to Azamara, I don’t have any history with fruit baskets to affect my opinion. I like the idea of having them optional on request. If there were an automatic new basket every day, my husband would be compelled to eat them all, since he can’t stand to see food go to waste. I’m all for less waste.

I am hoping they will have a card in the room stating they are available upon request. Otherwise, how would a guest not on this board have any idea they were available. We actually appreciate the fresh fruit baskets.

I too would urge getting rid of the nightly chocolate. 

Or at least consider providing a small sealed box at the start of the cruise - pf better quality. 

Another pet hate is the tote bag - a small light back pack would be a good alternative or choice! 

We like the tote bag - especially on cruises with lots of sunny sea days. We use it to put everything in that we’re likely to need all day (IPads, phone, Kindles, sun cream, pens, paper tissues, vacuum cups etc). Saves us having to go back to the cabin during the day. 

This all started with a simple statement that in future fruit would only be left in rooms if it was requested.

Now it is all speculation about who knows what, talk about opening up a can of worms or is it just me.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 3

I love all the feedback, Bloodaxe! Some good ideas in this conversation, such as having fruit available in Windows round the clock.

By the end of the week I'll share the feedback with senior Hotel personnel.

• Like 2