Lovely Aurora!

jeanlyon

I too was on this Aurora cruise, and greatly enjoyed it despite catching a shocking cold halfway through. I can understand Neil Turnbull's sense of humour not being to everyone's taste, but I like him.

I haven't yet had my post-cruise email from P&O asking me to fill in their questionnaire. Is anyone else still waiting, or have they somehow forgotten me?

2 hours ago, jh1809 said:

I too was on this Aurora cruise, and greatly enjoyed it despite catching a shocking cold halfway through. I can understand Neil Turnbull's sense of humour not being to everyone's taste, but I like him.

I haven't yet had my post-cruise email from P&O asking me to fill in their questionnaire. Is anyone else still waiting, or have they somehow forgotten me?

Yes no sign of any e-mail here either.

9 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Fantastic pics Selbourne, but I imagine quite scary if you were in it.

Andy

Never scary for us Andy as we were safely on the ship being held against the berth in the relatively calm harbour by three tugs! There were three cargo ships anchored offshore in the rough seas and one broke anchor and had to move away from the coast. It was actually quite exciting to watch but we did feel terribly sorry for the owner of the silver Audi A2 that you can see, as it ended up with a dented roof (complete with a pool of sea water) and trim hanging off it. Hopefully the passenger compartment remained watertight. Thankfully, by the time we left at around 7pm, the sea had calmed right down. 

21 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Never scary for us Andy as we were safely on the ship being held against the berth in the relatively calm harbour by three tugs! There were three cargo ships anchored offshore in the rough seas and one broke anchor and had to move away from the coast. It was actually quite exciting to watch but we did feel terribly sorry for the owner of the silver Audi A2 that you can see, as it ended up with a dented roof (complete with a pool of sea water) and trim hanging off it. Hopefully the passenger compartment remained watertight. Thankfully, by the time we left at around 7pm, the sea had calmed right down. 

Glad you were all safe, it's a testament to the harbour personnel and all involved in keeping the ship secure.

It sounds like you all had a great time.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Never been a fan of Aurora, my least favourite P&O ship. I have always considered her a poor man's Oriana, with almost everything on the latter being superior where a direct comparison could be made; the Lords Tavern versus Champions, Harlequins versus Masquerade, Tiffanys versus Raffles, the furnishings in the libraries, ... Am I the only P&O regular who feels that way?

26 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Never been a fan of Aurora, my least favourite P&O ship. I have always considered her a poor man's Oriana, with almost everything on the latter being superior where a direct comparison could be made; the Lords Tavern versus Champions, Harlequins versus Masquerade, Tiffanys versus Raffles, the furnishings in the libraries, ... Am I the only P&O regular who feels that way?

We struggled on our first trip on Aurora and didn't like it at all at first, but it grew on us, now we love it.

It is very different to the larger ships, but had a quaintness and laid back feel you don't get on the larger ships.

We haven't been on Oriana so can't compare.

Back on her today for the first time after the refit, so will be interested to see the differences.

Andy

39 minutes ago, Denarius said:

A somewhat cosmetic debate really with Oriana soon to be no more but, as a ship we prefer Oriana BUT Aurora has 8 accessible balcony cabins (and three decks of balcony cabins versus one on Oriana) so, on that basis we ditched Oriana once my wife needed a wheelchair. We wouldn’t cruise without a balcony. 

Edited by Selbourne

5 hours ago, Denarius said:

We used to prefer Oriana over Aurora but would happily sail on either (especially these days if we had a choice but cannot as they are both adult only).

We especially used to love breakfast at Al Fresco on Oriana.

10 hours ago, Denarius said:

I am the opposite.  Loved Oriana and now we have tried Aurora, much prefer her.  which is good as the other one is going!!

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 11:25 AM, Denarius said:

I'm quite the opposite. We had three cruises on Oriana and liked it apart from a few niggles but from our first cruise on Aurora it quickly became our favourite. I would agree that Harlequins is far superior to Masquerade.

2 hours ago, Brayman said:

I'm quite the opposite. We had three cruises on Oriana and liked it apart from a few niggles but from our first cruise on Aurora it quickly became our favourite. I would agree that Harlequins is far superior to Masquerade.

Also, Aurora has Carmens which is one of the best dance floors in the fleet.

Interesting comments about Aurora. Of the current fleet, she's the only one we haven't cruised on. So we're putting that right next summer! - R010, a 'Discovery' cruise. Should be interesting. And then at the end of the year, just to redress the balance we're doing an English Channel cruise on Iona, just before Christmas (G028).

Amazing pictures & video of Civitavecchia! - I've never seen weather like that there. Last time we were there I think we walked

from the ship to the dock gate, and got very hot doing so.

On 6/14/2019 at 11:25 AM, Denarius said:

No & yes.  I totally agree with your comparisons of the public rooms but as I am not a lover of larger ships, Aurora is my second favourite after Oriana.  I generally choose not to sail on anything larger than Arcadia and am not overly keen on Oceana.

Every time we board Aurora, I think it will be our last as we prefer the facilities and quality of entertainment on the larger ships, but a few days in, we are looking to book again.

The (some) poor entertainment has become humorous and we have met some great people, so the pointless tv is no longer an issue.

Back to Jeans original post, they must have sorted out the volume in the theatre as the sound has been just right and I cannot stand screeching.

Neil Turnbull is still cracking the same old jokes, but doesn't annoy me like he used to.

Crew still fantastic, food has been great.

Always little niggles with P&O but nothing that could spoil our holiday.

Adios Amigos,

Andy in rainy LaCoruna.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jean, good to hear Aurora is a nice ship. 

We are thinking of a 12 day trip to Norway  next July 2020, I  was wondering how the tender process goes, did you find it efficient? 

Also, looking at GE or GF balcony do you think ( $4400 aud)  £2351 ( with £300 OBC) is a good price? Seems quite expensive compared to prices here but probably Norway has expensive port fees.

Thanks