So called “Service Dogs” on board ships

kura

4 hours ago, ebtrip said:

I was on a cruise ship (not sure which line) when a couple came into the dining room, proceeded to sit at their assigned table with dog on their lap. Next evening NO ONE was at the table, only the couple with the dog, now on his own chair. Registered service dogs should be the ONLY dogs allowed. 

I'm not understanding your post - are you saying the dog WAS a service dog because they were the only ones at the table night 2? Or are you saying nobody wanted to sit with them so the dog got its own chair?

Not being snarky, truly don't understand.

13 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I'm not understanding your post - are you saying the dog WAS a service dog because they were the only ones at the table night 2? Or are you saying nobody wanted to sit with them so the dog got its own chair?

Not being snarky, truly don't understand.

Sorry to confuse anyone. This was NOT a service dog. It was a little 8 lb dog that was yappy and not trained at all. After talking to one of the guests at that table, reason there were no people the 2nd night was they did not want to eat where there was a pet with paws on the table..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ebtrip said:

Sorry to confuse anyone. This was NOT a service dog. It was a little 8 lb dog that was yappy and not trained at all. After talking to one of the guests at that table, reason there were no people the 2nd night was they did not want to eat where there was a pet with paws on the table..

So are we now allowed to bring our dogs? Cuz I surely would like to lessen the kennel charges...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

So are we now allowed to bring our dogs? Cuz I surely would like to lessen the kennel charges...

I was told it was an EMOTIONAL SUPPORT DOG..RIDICULOUS

Just now, ebtrip said:

I was told it was an EMOTIONAL SUPPORT DOG..RIDICULOUS

If the cruise line started charging a fee matpybe this would stop. I’m ve been on over 50 cruises, and in recent years people think it’s ok not to obey the rules.. it must stop 

14 minutes ago, ebtrip said:

If the cruise line started charging a fee matpybe this would stop. I’m ve been on over 50 cruises, and in recent years people think it’s ok not to obey the rules.. it must stop 

And this is by far the easiest to stop - the dog is simply turned away at embarkation. I think it would be hard to sneak one on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

And this is by far the easiest to stop - the dog is simply turned away at embarkation. I think it would be hard to sneak one on.

I do believe you have to make arrangements to bring the dog onboard.  It is no small thing to cross international borders with pets.  The airlines now ask the pertinent, legal questions and it is high time the cruise lines do so. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, RD64 said:

The only valid service dog - the legitimate one is Joska - the service dog from The Netherlands whom I have had the pleasure of cruising with twice.

Well Joska is well known ( and deservedly so), he is NOT the only service dog to cruise.  Our own Caribbean Chis has one as do others.

We have a roll call member bringing his on our cruise in October and he is going through hoops to get her checked in Europe, passport, etc.  He and she are joining us on our whale watching tour and yes she has her own life vest 👍 

There are lots of good service dogs out there performing valuable services for their owners.  it’s a shame that others try to bend the rules and fake it and put a bad name to the good ones 😔 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Somewhere buried in the depths of CC either on the HAL board or the Breakaway Lounge was a thread from a woman who (jokingly) wanted to bring her emotional support parrot who swore a lot on a cruise with her.

It was a hoot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ShipWalker said:

Somewhere buried in the depths of CC either on the HAL board or the Breakaway Lounge was a thread from a woman who (jokingly) wanted to bring her emotional support parrot who swore a lot on a cruise with her.

It was a hoot.

I’d love to read it 

7 minutes ago, ShipWalker said:

It was a hoot.

Different parrot, but still a parrot!

A magician was working on a cruise ship.

Since the audience was different each week, the magician did the same tricks over and over again. There was only one problem: The captain's parrot saw the shows each week and began to understand how the Magician did every trick.

Once he understood, he started shouting in the middle of the show, "Look, it's not the same hat!" or, "Look, he's hiding the flowers under the table!" Or "Hey, why are all the cards the ace of spades?"

The magician was furious but couldn't do anything. It was, after all, the Captain's parrot.

Then one stormy night on the Pacific, the ship unfortunately sank.

The magician luckily found himself on a piece of wood floating in the middle of the sea, as fate would have it ... With the parrot.

They stared at each other with hatred, but did not utter a word.

This went on for a day... And then 2 days. And then 3 days. Finally on the 4th day, the parrot could not hold back any longer and said...

"Okay, I give up. Where's the ship?"

Missing Liverpool parrot found on German cruise ship - Liverpool Echo

• Like 2
  • Haha 16

I have seen wonderful TRUE service dogs on ships.  My favorite was a on A carnival ship, the dog sat quietly with his owner, then every time the owner got up, the dog quickly got up & went with him.  We would see them all over the ship together.   

It is too bad that the rule breakers make it difficult for the truly needed animals.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I have so much admiration and respect for working dogs. Can someone with experience tell me what keeps them so focused for long periods of time, why they don't get bored doing what seems like "just sitting"?

Having been a police K-9 handler for five years (yes, not the same as a service dog mentioned here, but similar), a good disposition/aptitude/demeanor, training and certification (for the dog, not the handler 😉)

John K-9 #2.jpg

• Like 12

On 6/9/2023 at 8:35 PM, Copper10-8 said:

Having been a police K-9 handler for five years (yes, not the same as a service dog mentioned here, but similar), a good disposition/aptitude/demeanor, training and certification (for the dog, not the handler 😉)

John K-9 #2.jpg

I know what you mean.  4 years in the Air Force as a Drug Dog handler.  Dogs were so well trained!  Us on the other hand....  lol

-gregma

• Like 4

Well Capt Kate on the Beyond has her cat Bug Naked with her 24/7. Is it a case of rules for some and not for others??? I honestly would imagine the Celebrity Pax would have a melt down if Bug was removed. He's a "celebrity".

I don't have an issue with therapy dogs, they can fill the ship for all I care, but the scammers..... grrrrr.

But I'm still NOT bringing the bossy Aussie.

• Like 1

Well, if you’re unhappy about service dogs being on ships, then avoid the Sept 2 Eurodam sailing to AK.  We will be there with our adult daughter who has had her service dog for six years. He is the best dog, incredibly smart, well behaved, beautifully trained, and has made all the difference in the world for our daughter. Having him present is the only way she is able to leave the house and interact with others. Without him, she would be a shut in. Her life has been infinitely improved by having a service dog, and I hope that people will give them the grace to enjoy this cruise without being treated with suspicion and cruelty. 

• Like 4

@ladyj1138 I don't think anyone here said they have an issue with legitimate service dogs - just the opposite, as @3Shelaghs recently said:

8 hours ago, 3Shelaghs said:

... I don't have an issue with therapy dogs, they can fill the ship for all I care, but the scammers..... grrrrr...

Safe travels - Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 3

@Haljo1935 That’s the thing, people confuse the purpose of these dogs all the time. 
Emotional support animal- This can be a variety of different animals. Their presence alone provides emotional support, or a calming effect, to their person. These animals do not perform specific tasks related directly to their person other than simply be physically present with them.

Therapy animal- these can also be a variety of animals. I even know a pair of therapy llamas. These individual animals serve many people, often in settings like hospitals, rest homes, rehabilitation facilities, chemotherapy and dialysis treatment facilities, etc. Horse therapy is a common example. The animal’s existence and calm demeanor allows for special interactions with people dealing with a variety of conditions, inducing emotional responses of love and well being. These interactions can be magical under the right conditions. 

Service animal- these are most often dogs, but other animals have been trained to perform tasks for their person. Service animals are typically assigned to an individual person with a limiting condition, for whom the service animal is trained specifically to perform at least three discrete tasks. Many service animals can perform more, but three tasks is the legal requirement.

Per the ADA, In situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? Staff are not allowed to request any documentation for the dog, require that the dog demonstrate its task, or inquire about the nature of the person’s disability.

please check out this link for more FAQs about service animals. https://www.ada.gov/resources/service-animals-faqs/

Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a Jack Russell that has been trained to detect the many fragrances that will trigger a seizure due to my PTSD. I have a certificate that states he has been trained by an organization for my disability.  Also have paper work so that he can travel on planes.  

• Like 3

On 6/9/2023 at 7:14 PM, kazu said:

Well Joska is well known ( and deservedly so), he is NOT the only service dog to cruise.  Our own Caribbean Chis has one as do others.

Thanks, Kazu! I was in touch with HAL just last week about their Service Animal Information (SAI) form for September 3 Boston to Montreal on Zaandam. I think this sailing will make 14 cruises for Hearing Dog Raylene.

• Like 6

On 6/9/2023 at 9:26 PM, Haljo1935 said:

I have so much admiration and respect for working dogs. Can someone with experience tell me what keeps them so focused for long periods of time, why they don't get bored doing what seems like "just sitting"?

True service dogs are working and doing their job for which they have been trained. they will sit quietly for hours.   If a pup doesn't have the ability to stay calm and sit for long periods of time like that, they are culled from the program and re-homed as a civilian.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 5 months later...
On 5/13/2019 at 6:20 PM, Mary229 said:

No. No to dogs or any other service animals.   I think the Queen Mary allows dogs but they are managed in kennels by QMII kennel master. There is a cruise for everyone, after all. 

Cruise ships aren’t governed by US ADA regulations. 

So you support discrimination against people with disabilities? Why should I be limited in my cruise selection because I have a disability? How would you feel if you were in my shoes?

18 minutes ago, sweetp0618 said:

So you support discrimination against people with disabilities? Why should I be limited in my cruise selection because I have a disability? How would you feel if you were in my shoes?

I am quite sure you pulled a quote out of context and since it is from over 4 years ago I am certainly not going to dig through this thread to determine the context.  

• Like 1