So called “Service Dogs” on board ships

kura

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

@Mary229 may I ask, when and where did you see a non-service animal on a HAL ship - was it crew family? I understand HAL (all of CCL) has very tight policy on animals.

Just an FYI - Family of crew on HAL are not permitted to bring "non-service animals" on board while, they (the family) accompany the crew member (officer status only as far as sailing with family)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Just an FYI - Family of crew on HAL are not permitted to bring "non-service animals" on board while, they (the family) accompany the crew member (officer status only as far as sailing with family)

Thanks @Copper10-8 I assumed but thought I'd take a shot as to how/why a non-service animal would be allowed on board.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

@Mary229 may I ask, when and where did you see a non-service animal on a HAL ship - was it crew family? I understand HAL (all of CCL) has very tight policy on animals.

2022, Nieuw Statendam.  It was a very small dog, I am a cat person so didn’t note the breed.  

Once we were on a HAL cruise (I think aboard Zuiderdam) and of course I walked my dog multiple times each day to her designated relief area, a 4X4 box on the forward area of the promenade.  

One morning, early on, I noticed a man with an energetic little dog, I believe a Pomeranian, using a nearby separate relief box the size of a cookie sheet. My dog was nonplussed as he watched the little fellow hop, skip & jump as they left the area. That night we realized the man was a magician and the pup was part of the show.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Once we were on a HAL cruise (I think aboard Zuiderdam) and of course I walked my dog multiple times each day to her designated relief area, a 4X4 box on the forward area of the promenade.  

One morning, early on, I noticed a man with an energetic little dog, I believe a Pomeranian, using a nearby separate relief box the size of a cookie sheet. My dog was nonplussed as he watched the little fellow hop, skip & jump as they left the area. That night we realized the man was a magician and the pup was part of the show.

Yes, now that you mention it I have met similar entertainers.  The dog I mentioned was not an entertainer.  I love those animal shows, our animal shelter occasionally hosts one as a fund raiser.  

If you go to www.ADA.gov, the guidelines for service animals are clearly defined. It specifically states Emotional Support animals are not service animals. There are also 2 questions that the Cruise lines can ask. If asked in the exact context, there is no problem denying the animals. The problem is, that employees do not ask the questions properly. I worked in the transportation business for years and we had to ask specifically "what service has your dog TRAINED to provide". Of course the owner got into the "you cannot ask me about my disability" My response was " I did not ask you about you disability. I asked what service your animal was trained to provide" Some times I had to repeat 4 or 5 times, but eventually I got the "comfort animal". We then handed the passenger a copy af the ADA document and refunded their money, and denied service. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

31 minutes ago, wannagonow123 said:

If you go to www.ADA.gov, the guidelines for service animals are clearly defined. It specifically states Emotional Support animals are not service animals. There are also 2 questions that the Cruise lines can ask. If asked in the exact context, there is no problem denying the animals. The problem is, that employees do not ask the questions properly. I worked in the transportation business for years and we had to ask specifically "what service has your dog TRAINED to provide". Of course the owner got into the "you cannot ask me about my disability" My response was " I did not ask you about you disability. I asked what service your animal was trained to provide" Some times I had to repeat 4 or 5 times, but eventually I got the "comfort animal". We then handed the passenger a copy af the ADA document and refunded their money, and denied service. 

I do believe that is what the airlines do now, right?  They tired of the pigs and cattle 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

What bothers me about the descriptions of the non-service dog is how obvious they were and that their behaviors were unacceptable in a PET, let alone a working dog. Who lets their pet dog pee or poop on the carpet? And yes, this is not their home carpet, but a properly housetrained dog knows indoors from outdoors. 

Maybe it's because, from what I've read, the fakes and emotional support dogs are usually small. But that doesn't make bad behavior okay. My family and DH's family always had larger dogs--airedale, standard poodle, St Bernard, great Dane. You cannot have a dog that size without teaching it some manners, so I have always believed that responsible dog ownership includes training the dog. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Since this thread began the airlines have clamped down hard on what is a service animal. Of course pets are allowed but under different rules.

I have only seen one non-service service animal on HAL and fortunately it was well behaved and the owner quite pleasant and in total control 

Thankfully, I have never seen anything other than a well behaved service dog on a ship.  I enjoyed watching them do their jobs well.  A true service animal is interesting to watch.

Now I have seen some poor behavior from airline passengers that were carrying or "walking" their pets.  The airlines do need to ramp up the restrictions- more for the owners than for the pets.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

ship.  I enjoyed watching them do their jobs well.  A true service animal is interesting to watch.

This particular animal, though well behaved, definitely wasn’t working.  

Hahahahaahahahahaahhahahahahaaha.... this thread is the best laugh I've had all morning!!

I have an Aussie... and I keep telling him, he is not going anywhere until he learns his "Motel Manners". No barking, no rounding up the birds or squirrels, no snacks off the floors and certainly no zoomies ontop of the beds! Sure he's smarter then the average bear, there is no doubt he could park a ship sideways, organize a muster drill, and challenge the most aggressive jean wearer in the dining room, but there isn't a hope in HELL he would be coming on my cruise.... well not until I can get him a little medical vest (that he won't eat), and a leash (that he won't eat).

I've seen the so called comfort dogs on last cruise. Cute yes, legal according to Celebrity yes, but a trained certified comfort dog?? Nope. The woman was a scammer. These people do an injustice to the legit ones.

p.s I've seen more pax pooping, peeing and eating from areas they shouldn't, so what's a hound supposed to do?? When in Rome......

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

A warning to those of us who are dog lovers: do not pet a service animal until you have permission from the owner.  That dog is working & doesn't need a distraction.  I have seen people run up to the dog & say "oh look at the doggie."  I have also seen owners give a firm "do not touch" order.  

I am a cat person, & while I would love my cats to travel with me for my own enjoyment- they do not.  They are better left at home in the care of our trusted pet sitter.  

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

@STI please keep us posted on the outcome of your ability to take your dog on the cruise and what HAL required since you say there's no certification.

I hope it works out for you and you have a great cruise!

In the US, there is no certification required for a service animal.  Those cards and such are from the websites where you pay and they send you a card.  It is one giveaway that the animal is just a pet.  The ADA in the US allows only 2 questions to be asked: is the animal required because of a disability and what work or task has the animal been trained to perform.   

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 3:14 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

A lot of people don't know how to train a dog, whether it's a pet or emotional support dog. Our neighbors have a new puppy and they have hired a trainer to come to the house and work with them. Just basic pet obedience, not support or service. I watched them in the back yard the other day. The trainer was training THEM as much as the puppy. 

Too many people don't know how to manage a dog in public. I was thinking about this thread just this morning when I was at our local farm market. Bringing your dog to the farm market is the "thing to do." Most people are good about using a short leash, but there's always a few idiots with a large dog on an extender leash, and those are always the dogs that want to jump on people or lunge at other dogs. 

What's the saying? There are no bad dogs, only bad owners?

True.  And I see dogs in Florida, in outdoor restaurants, fight with other dogs during our dinners.  There is usually hysteria amongst the owners and bedlam all around.  I think the confusion between comfort dogs and serivce dogs is widespread. Many people assume their emotional support dog is doing a service, therefore they are a service dog.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

My family and DH's family always had larger dogs--airedale, standard poodle, St Bernard, great Dane. You cannot have a dog that size without teaching it some manners, so I have always believed that responsible dog ownership includes training the dog. 

Here's a visual... Captain Kate's Great Dane Harvey, sitting in her chair at the helm. Hat on, brandy snifter in paw, steering the side thrusters.... bet Bug would have his nose out of joint!

• Like 1

Unfortunately, Holland is the cruise line I mostly see the abuse of non service animals. Don't bash me because I have seen it on other lines, but the majority are on Holand. These are the people that dress up their dogs and roll them around in strollers. WHAT SERVICE ARE THEY PROVIDING WHILE IN A STROLLER!!!!

When I book a trip on Princess lines, I immediately get a pop up box right before payment that reminds me the mobility devises cannot be parked in the hallways, and you must contact Princess Medical Needs if you will be using a devise so they can ensure the devise will fit through the doorway. You then select I understand, or decline. With decline, your reservation becomes a 24 hour hold and no payment is accepted. Maybe that is what Holland needs. to keep the rug rats off. Don't get me wrong, if I could bring my dog on a cruise and save on boarding costs, I would , but I know he would make everyone but me miserable. (his name is Demon, and trust me he is named properly).

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, wannagonow123 said:

Unfortunately, Holland is the cruise line I mostly see the abuse of non service animals. Don't bash me because I have seen it on other lines, but the majority are on Holand. These are the people that dress up their dogs and roll them around in strollers. WHAT SERVICE ARE THEY PROVIDING WHILE IN A STROLLER!!!!

When I book a trip on Princess lines, I immediately get a pop up box right before payment that reminds me the mobility devises cannot be parked in the hallways, and you must contact Princess Medical Needs if you will be using a devise so they can ensure the devise will fit through the doorway. You then select I understand, or decline. With decline, your reservation becomes a 24 hour hold and no payment is accepted. Maybe that is what Holland needs. to keep the rug rats off. Don't get me wrong, if I could bring my dog on a cruise and save on boarding costs, I would , but I know he would make everyone but me miserable. (his name is Demon, and trust me he is named properly).

There is now a check-box asking if you need assistance and so on.   I don’t know what happens if you check it. 

1 hour ago, wannagonow123 said:

Unfortunately, Holland is the cruise line I mostly see the abuse of non service animals...These are the people that dress up their dogs and roll them around in strollers. WHAT SERVICE ARE THEY PROVIDING WHILE IN A STROLLER!!!!... Maybe that is what Holland needs. to keep the rug rats off. Don't get me wrong, if I could bring my dog on a cruise and save on boarding costs, I would...

"...keep the rug rats off" oh yay - found a way to keep the misbehaving little ones off the ship! Oh wait, we're talking about dogs, lol!! 🤭🤔🙄

Totally agree I would like to save kennel fees by bringing my dogs - I'd use that $$ for excursions!! 🐕 

Edited by Haljo1935
Uploads
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, wannagonow123 said:

If the person can't answer that question or doesn't want to, it is a clear sign they don't have a service animal. 

• Like 3

On 6/7/2023 at 5:56 AM, Mary229 said:

I do believe that is what the airlines do now, right?  They tired of the pigs and cattle 

and Birds.  My husband is retired pilot for major carrier, so I know all of the problems that the "comfort pets" caused.  I'm so tired of the entitled who want everyone else to accommodate them and they always seem to want YOU to give their pet attention.  An owner of a SERVICE DOG does NOT want you to give their pet attention.  

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

and Birds.  My husband is retired pilot for major carrier, so I know all of the problems that the "comfort pets" caused.  I'm so tired of the entitled who want everyone else to accommodate them and they always seem to want YOU to give their pet attention.  An owner of a SERVICE DOG does NOT want you to give their pet attention.  

And the entitled groups! If I  had a comfort iguana, perhaps the airline would allow. So, alot of people are allergic to cats but they allow them on planes. I personally love cats, but can't breathe around them. But, they fly next to me. 

6 minutes ago, albingirl said:

And the entitled groups! If I  had a comfort iguana, perhaps the airline would allow. So, alot of people are allergic to cats but they allow them on planes. I personally love cats, but can't breathe around them. But, they fly next to me. 

Same for me with certain dogs (and cats).  Hate when they fly next to me - I am miserable (more than normal I know) when this happens.

• Thanks 1

I was on a cruise ship (not sure which line) when a couple came into the dining room, proceeded to sit at their assigned table with dog on their lap. Next evening NO ONE was at the table, only the couple with the dog, now on his own chair. Registered service dogs should be the ONLY dogs allowed. 

4 hours ago, ebtrip said:

I was on a cruise ship (not sure which line) when a couple came into the dining room, proceeded to sit at their assigned table with dog on their lap. Next evening NO ONE was at the table, only the couple with the dog, now on his own chair. Registered service dogs should be the ONLY dogs allowed. 

The worst disservice is to the people with true service animals.  They are always viewed with suspicion and sneers because of the interlopers

• Like 4