Upsell offer - 3 people

rma2001

I am booked on an Alaska Southbound, 3 people,  7 day and got an upsell offer, going to an interior to balcony.  The email said $x /person and singles pay 200%.  

My question was, would all 3 of us pay $x or would one be half (or free)?  If all 3 have to pay that price, I'm out, but could be convinced to do it if there is a 3rd person discount.  I called and left a message, but thought someone here would know for sure.  Would be a nice surprise for my wife, I don't think I'd tell her until we got to the cabin.

Edited by rma2001

Call ... then ask which cabin it is. Some are worth it, some not so much. Posters often complain about soot on aft balconies. Also a balcony facing the shore is worth more to me

I am so confused.  I understand OP was offered an upsell.  

Are there 3 in one cabin?  3 solos?  a couple and a solo in 2 cabins?  And everyone was offered an upsell?  Was this a generic email not specific to OP but to all being offered an upsell?  My ignorance.  

I thought for upsell it is for each person in your cabin.

As for AFT, we have had a corner AFT with zero issues and we have another booked in about a week we loved it so much. 

Edited by Katwoman007
missed a word

Others have reported previously that the upsell cost applies to the first two persons in the cabin. Unless specified otherwise the third (and fourth) persons come along for the ride.

For example if the OP's upsell is for $1200, the net cost is $2400 whether there are one, two or three persons in the cabin.

• Like 1

Sorry I didn’t have easy access to my email earlier on my work pc. I wasn’t trying to hide anything. There are 3 in the cabin. Me, my wife and 5 year old. 

ENJOY BREATHTAKING BALCONY VIEWS! *JUST FOR YOU!!* Princess Cruises has selected you for this exclusive offer! Upgrade your inside cabin to a BALCONY on your June 29, 2019 ROYAL PRINCESS SAILING! Treat yourself to a balcony stateroom and enjoy the added space where you can relax outside and experience the unforgettable views on your private balcony!

Choose one of our STANDARD balconies for $199 USD/$289 CAD* per person* ALSO available to you is one of our DELUXE Balconies (includes seating area)for $229 USD/$332 CAD* per person**
(Rates are in addition to the fare already paid)

Edited by rma2001
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is for the first two.  I missed out on an upsell from an inside to a balcony about a month ago because I had the same question and it was sold out by the time they got back to me.  I could afford an extra $500 but didn't want to go for $1000 if they were going to charge for my two kids.  Still crossing my fingers that another one opens up.  

I'm not with most other folks. I'd stick with the cabin you have and use the money elsewhere. We've done Alaska a couple of times and are going again very soon. I've had an inside, a window mini suite, and am booked again in an inside. We do our Alaska scenic viewing up top and on the Promenade. We can get views from forward, aft, port, and starboard. We're not just being "cheap". We're doing a 15 day connoisseur cruise tour so it's plenty spendy. We just don't need a balcony to enjoy our Alaska cruises. (The only reason we had the window mini suite on one Alaska cruise is because my TA called me at work one day and said there were suddenly a couple of upsells available for a very good price and asked if I wanted one. It was a very good deal so I took the upsell.)

Agree with Ombud, except on the importance of port side. If your cruise does the inside passage *including* the section between Vancouver Island and the mainland then most places where you can see land, you can see it from either side. But if your final port is Seattle, you'll probably sail on the west side of Vancouver Island and the port side might give you some views of land that starboard wouldn't. 

I would choose a cabin (if they are offering you a choice) by nearness to midship without being right next to the elevator. That way motion is minimized and distance to any venue is no more than half the ship's length. 

We are on the Royal now with two young children and were presented with the same offer (interior -> balcony for $200 a person). We took the offer and so far are very glad that we did so. The extra space is nice and  being able to enjoy the outside without leaving the room is nice (especially if you have bedtimes to keep).  

The lady who does the up-sells might be "strict" but was helpful in getting us a nice room (we asked for a specific deck). Just be ready to make a decision when she calls. Also we are in a room right next to the elevator and we haven't noticed any noise, it does make getting in and out of the room pretty easy.

10 hours ago, Thrak said:

I'm not with most other folks. I'd stick with the cabin you have and use the money elsewhere. We've done Alaska a couple of times and are going again very soon. I've had an inside, a window mini suite, and am booked again in an inside. We do our Alaska scenic viewing up top and on the Promenade. We can get views from forward, aft, port, and starboard. We're not just being "cheap". We're doing a 15 day connoisseur cruise tour so it's plenty spendy. We just don't need a balcony to enjoy our Alaska cruises. (The only reason we had the window mini suite on one Alaska cruise is because my TA called me at work one day and said there were suddenly a couple of upsells available for a very good price and asked if I wanted one. It was a very good deal so I took the upsell.)

I almost always agree with Thrak but not here. Since you are traveling with a 5 year old take the balcony.  That way you can take advantage of the views during naps or after bedtime , plus your child can play with his toys while you use the balcony.    Kids lose interest quickly so you might not be able to spend a lot of time on the viewing decks if he/she gets cranky. Room service breakfast on the balcony was one of my favorite parts of the day.

Edited by knbcruisers
Can’t type or spell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just as a follow up, the upsell was indeed for the first 2 passengers. When I got the call back she offered up the rooms that were available and I took one on the same deck we were on before (15). I was very happy with the price of the upgrade. We balked on the balcony on the initial booking as it was almost $1,000 more for us and we could have dealt with the interior for the trip. This will be a nice surprise for my wife when we get on (going to keep it a secret). 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, knbcruisers said:

I almost always agree with Thrak but not here. Since you are traveling with a 5 year old take the balcony.  That way you can take advantage of the views during naps or after bedtime , plus your child can play with his toys while you use the balcony.    Kids lose interest quickly so you might not be able to spend a lot of time on the viewing decks if he/she gets cranky. Room service breakfast on the balcony was one of my favorite parts of the day.

Excellent observations. I will revise my previous statement to agree with you regarding the small child. For us the balcony isn't important. Given the fact of the small child I will bow to your superior wisdom and agree that the upsell would actually make very good sense. We have grandchildren ranging from 23 years to 19 years to 17 years to 20 months to 8 months. The little ones are fantastic but it's good when they go home or we go home as we're just too dang old for full time kids. Give me a full-time 5 year old child and I'd go totally insane.