Sorry about this but.........

clarets

I am 60yr old so no spring chicken but the point I am trying to make is that it seems silly to me that people can wear the same suit 4 times on a formal night that may be years old and looking it and yet on a casual night smart trainers are banned.I appreciate that standards need to be kept  but clothes and fashion change with time and generations, people in their 4os are getting to a cruise age but doubt they want to wear a dj on holiday. Also I may live in the north and have been a season ticket holder of my club most of my life but I do not own a football shirt, I also do not shop in primark  and mr moonstone I will have a different shirt on everynight, how about you?

24 minutes ago, clarets said:

I am 60yr old so no spring chicken but the point I am trying to make is that it seems silly to me that people can wear the same suit 4 times on a formal night that may be years old and looking it and yet on a casual night smart trainers are banned.I appreciate that standards need to be kept  but clothes and fashion change with time and generations, people in their 4os are getting to a cruise age but doubt they want to wear a dj on holiday. Also I may live in the north and have been a season ticket holder of my club most of my life but I do not own a football shirt, I also do not shop in primark  and mr moonstone I will have a different shirt on everynight, how about you?

Hi Clarets.

Definitely not a spring chicken either at 73  and definitely in awe of your dedication to Burnley FC. (They nearly bu**ered up my teams top four place)

I'm not sure the readers will understand your analogy between wearing a dinner jacket and wearing trainers.

As I did point out earlier, we are all entitled to an opinion and in my case I personally find the words 'smart' and 'trainers' a bit of an oxymoron. A bit like 'smart jeans' really. Where does it stop.

P&O are setting a standard which they believe meets the expectations of the bulk of their customers. We all have a choice of who we cruise with and if a certain standard doesn't suit an individual then there are other cruise lines that should be investigated.

We all want the benefits of sailing with P&O but apparently some don't want to uphold the ambiance.

What I appreciate most about P&O is that you get what it says on the tin. 

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/02/24/life-on-board-oceanas-35-night-cruise/

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

Hi Clarets.

Definitely not a spring chicken either at 73  and definitely in awe of your dedication to Burnley FC. (They nearly bu**ered up my teams top four place)

I'm not sure the readers will understand your analogy between wearing a dinner jacket and wearing trainers.

As I did point out earlier, we are all entitled to an opinion and in my case I personally find the words 'smart' and 'trainers' a bit of an oxymoron. A bit like 'smart jeans' really. Where does it stop.

P&O are setting a standard which they believe meets the expectations of the bulk of their customers. We all have a choice of who we cruise with and if a certain standard doesn't suit an individual then there are other cruise lines that should be investigated.

We all want the benefits of sailing with P&O but apparently some don't want to uphold the ambiance.

What I appreciate most about P&O is that you get what it says on the tin. 

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/02/24/life-on-board-oceanas-35-night-cruise/

Well said.

It's a bit like a school uniform, we all abide, some in designer suits, some from Matalan (me), but we all look smart. Trainers are not smart, no matter how much they cost.

If you don't like the dress code, book another cruise line, there are plenty of options.

Andy

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, docco said:

It says a lot about P&O, and its customers, that it’s regarded as acceptable, or necessary, to lay down any kind of dress code!

Can anyone find one single example of such a thing in any decent restaurant or hotel?

Yes Hilton Park Lane. Stopped me owing into the bar on the 17 or might have been 27th floor.

2 hours ago, docco said:

It says a lot about P&O, and its customers, that it’s regarded as acceptable, or necessary, to lay down any kind of dress code!

Can anyone find one single example of such a thing in any decent restaurant or hotel?

In the states you dress according to the standards the better quality  restaurants lay down or you just don’t eat there,I am at the age we’re dressing to go out to dinner is not a problem it makes the experience more enjoyable.

The thing that I find amusing is the people who dislike or to lazy to dress for dinner,wish to change the rules rather than select a cruise line more suited to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

In the states you dress according to the standards the better quality  restaurants lay down or you just don’t eat there,I am at the age we’re dressing to go out to dinner is not a problem it makes the experience more enjoyable.

The thing that I find amusing is the people who dislike or to lazy to dress for dinner,wish to change the rules rather than select a cruise line more suited to them.

The thing I find amusing is that P&O customers, unlike customers of any hotel or restaurant across the world, need to be given written instructions on how to dress appropriately for the evening.

3 hours ago, docco said:

I think you'll find that there is a dress code in quality restaurants especially in London, they don't have a written policy, they have a door person who tells you that they are full if you don't meet their requirements, whether you've booked a table or not.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, docco said:

The thing I find amusing is that P&O customers, unlike customers of any hotel or restaurant across the world, need to be given written instructions on how to dress appropriately for the evening.

Docco, Cunard, Princess, Royal Caribbean and probably lots of other cruise lines as well give guidance on how to dress for casual and formal dining nights as part of their helpful tips, so not just P&O

• Like 1

4 hours ago, docco said:

Yes, too many to mention. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, daiB said:

Yes Hilton Park Lane. Stopped me owing into the bar on the 17 or might have been 27th floor.

Not any more, the General Manager is Fred from First dates and like First dates he never wears a tie and that did use to be compulsory in Gavin at Windows, the 23rd Floor of the Hilton.

7 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

I think you'll find that there is a dress code in quality restaurants especially in London, they don't have a written policy, they have a door person who tells you that they are full if you don't meet their requirements, whether you've booked a table or not.

And they require that you should wear a dinner jacket of course. It would be laughable!

7 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Docco, Cunard, Princess, Royal Caribbean and probably lots of other cruise lines as well give guidance on how to dress for casual and formal dining nights as part of their helpful tips, so not just P&O

Just cruise lines I'm afraid. Restaurants and hotels haven't done it for years. It's a peculiarly cruise thing.

1 hour ago, docco said:

Just cruise lines I'm afraid. Restaurants and hotels haven't done it for years. It's a peculiarly cruise thing.

Your wrong docco you would not get past the front door of some of the restaurants we have eaten at in the states,I say the states because we’re on holiday and I spend more on meals.

So my point on a previous post if you don’t like the rules don’t sail with them it’s your money,saying that your not so why would you care ?.

Edited by Bazrat
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Your wrong docco you would not get past the front door of some of the restaurants we have eaten at in the states,I say the states because we’re on holiday and I spend more on meals.

So my point on a previous post if you don’t like the rules don’t sail with them it’s your money,saying that your not so why would you care ?.

Come on, get real  -  you're not seriously suggesting that any US restaurant (or any other for that matter) is demanding that you wear a dinner jacket to get in? They'd laugh their socks off if you even suggested it!

1 hour ago, docco said:

Come on, get real  -  you're not seriously suggesting that any US restaurant (or any other for that matter) is demanding that you wear a dinner jacket to get in? They'd laugh their socks off if you even suggested it!

Docco, why are you so obsessed about dinner jackets, I am quite happy that I only need one item of clothing for formal nights in order to fit in, just imagine if you were a woman and had all the anxiety of wondering if anyone else was going to turn up in the same outfit!

1 hour ago, docco said:

You have led a sheltered life my friend,dinner jackets are not compulsory but smart suits smart Blazers with the appropriate clothing are,those who do not like the idea of wearing appropriate clothing why sail with p&o.

I would bet if pando does away with the dress code you will the first to complain on slipping standards.

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Docco, why are you so obsessed about dinner jackets, I am quite happy that I only need one item of clothing for formal nights in order to fit in, just imagine if you were a woman and had all the anxiety of wondering if anyone else was going to turn up in the same outfit!

Thank god it is not just my wife who goes through that nightmare.

15 hours ago, clarets said:

I'll give you one of my West Ham shirts,you won't be ashamed to wear that,lol.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I'll give you one of my West Ham shirts,you won't be ashamed to wear that,lol.

Actually old chap Old gold and Black are the colours in this season.

4 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Actually old chap Old gold and Black are the colours in this season.

You've got a sense of humour,that's not allowed on formal nights.

47 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

You have led a sheltered life my friend,dinner jackets are not compulsory but smart suits smart Blazers with the appropriate clothing are,those who do not like the idea of wearing appropriate clothing why sail with p&o.

I would bet if pando does away with the dress code you will the first to complain on slipping standards.

No problem at all with smartness (blazers, though?!) - just old-fashioned notions such as DJs that grate.

5 minutes ago, docco said:

No problem at all with smartness (blazers, though?!) - just old-fashioned notions such as DJs that grate.

There you go arbiter of good taste.

• Like 1