Help me give a HAL cruise as a gift

Alexcleo

Hello - I am brand new to the board and am seeking guidance on how to give a cruise as a gift.

Here is the story - 

My company's long-time and much beloved office manager is retiring at the end of the month.  She shared with another employee that an Alaska cruise is something she would love to do, a "bucket list" item she said.

The boss tells me to buy her a gift certificate in an amount to cover a nice room during peak months.  I consulted my mother, a HAL frequent cruiser, and she helped me set a price of $4,000.

I thought it would be as easy as hopping onto HAL's website and purchasing a gift certificate but this is not the case.  When I called, the HAL rep told me they don't "do things like that"

I just am having a hard time wrapping my head around such a road block.

Am I missing something?  

Does anyone have any info or experience with gifting a HAL cruise?

FYI - I chose HAL because of my parent's love of their Alaska cruises. 

You need to talk to a different person. I know that it is possible to buy a gift certificate to be used as a prize for a drawing or raffle, and this shouldn't be much different.

added -- I might try calling the Mariner Society number as they seem to be able to answer questions like this most easily and direct you to the right department.

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 1

Excellent advice, both of you!

Can you share the name of the travel agency?  We were going to give a separate gift card for airfare but I love the idea of a travel agency handling all arrangements for them.  Locally, there isn't any travel agent I would be comfortable using.  

15 minutes ago, Paulinda said:

Did you try calling a personal cruise consultant (PCP) or the HAL customer services? You might have better luck calling than asking on CC.

image.png.237f53b2fc5509a0f45895c7e81cffd9.png 1-800-599-8256

Yes I did, it was my first step.

The rep told me they don't "do things like that" and acted as if it was ridiculous request.  She even commented "it must be nice to get a gift like that" in a snarky manner.  So at this point, I am less than confident in their customer service.

What company says no to a customer wanting to spend money?

Agree with the idea to go with a TA, perhaps a local TA who could guide the recipient to the appropriate cruise line for the individual as well as make all the arrangements.

Sorry you got a snarky PCC, that has not been my experience. I did get an obviously untrained, new, id*** agent on the HAL reservations line the other day, finished the transaction, discovered several errors on the email confirmation form, called back and got a very impressive agent who did a wonderful job (and was appropriately commended by me on the survey at the end of the call).

Sorry you got someone with a bad attitude.  That doesn’t set a good tone and I don’t blame you for asking here.  Do your parents have a regular cruise consultant they use for their trips?  Perhaps they could give his/her contact information.  

On the bright side, what a lovely gift.  It must be a wonderful place to work with such thoughtfulness.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alexcleo said:

Yes I did, it was my first step.

The rep told me they don't "do things like that" and acted as if it was ridiculous request.  She even commented "it must be nice to get a gift like that" in a snarky manner.  So at this point, I am less than confident in their customer service.

What company says no to a customer wanting to spend money?

33 minutes ago, oceanmom said:

Agree with the idea to go with a TA, perhaps a local TA who could guide the recipient to the appropriate cruise line for the individual as well as make all the arrangements.

Sorry you got a snarky PCC, that has not been my experience. I did get an obviously untrained, new, id*** agent on the HAL reservations line the other day, finished the transaction, discovered several errors on the email confirmation form, called back and got a very impressive agent who did a wonderful job (and was appropriately commended by me on the survey at the end of the call).

I have a feeling it wasn't a PCC who the OP spoke with. More likely just someone in the call center.  Lots of mistakes from them.  😞  

I did gift a cruise to my mother one year, for a major birthday.  However, gifting one to someone outside of one's family is an entirely different thing.  I recommend, as others have suggested, that you contact a local travel agent (we aren't allowed to recommend one here) and buy a certificate through them.  Or try to find out the manager's usual travel agent, if you can (and if she has one).

It's a wonderful gift!  I'm sure it will be well received!

Excellent advice, both of you!

Can you share the name of the travel agency?  We were going to give a separate gift card for airfare but I love the idea of a travel agency handling all arrangements for them.  Locally, there isn't any travel agent I would be comfortable using.  

CC rules prohibit naming travel agencies 😞  Check with friends, relatives, co-workers, to see if you can get a referral from a trusted source.

• 4 weeks later...

Coming back to post about the outcome of my cruise gift process.

After three phone calls and as many hours on hold, the official word is that Holland America does not offer gift certificates for purchase.  The Princess line does have gc but not Holland America.

The company purchased a $5,000 American Express gift card and I packaged it with a Holland America brochure.  Our retiree will make her own arrangements for a summer 2020 cruise.  She was moved to tears by the gift.

• Like 13

Great decision on the gift certificate from a travel agency.    She can nowher pick the cruise line, the itinerary, the ship, and her preferred date?  I would not lock someone into a specific cruise line.

Edited by iancal

They now offer gift cards.  

New Holland America Line Gift Cards Make It Easy To Give The Gift Of Cruising For Mother’s Day, Father’s Day And Graduations

Digital and printed cards help gift-givers year-round; now available through select retailers

Seattle, Wash., May 7, 2019 — Looking to make Mother’s Day, Father’s Day or graduation extra special? With the new Holland America Line Gift Cards, it’s now easy and convenient to give the gift of a cruise and other memorable experiences on board. In addition to new cruise bookings, gift cards can also be applied to an existing cruise booking.

But the idea of an Amex card for any cruise line is wonderful.  I have to drop hints to my co-workers for when I retire..   

• Like 1

I followed that link before and its a deadend.  I asked about it one of the times I called and was told the gift cards haven't been released yet.

I am not surprised in the slightest. I think the Amex gc was an even better solution though so "you dun good" 👍😁

9 hours ago, Alexcleo said:

I followed that link before and its a deadend.  I asked about it one of the times I called and was told the gift cards haven't been released yet.

It worked for me.

20 hours ago, Alexcleo said:

The company purchased a $5,000 American Express gift card and I packaged it with a Holland America brochure. 

Cash is a much better gift than a cruise gift card. I wonder if the retiree will use the $5,000 for a cruise.

9 minutes ago, whogo said:

Cash is a much better gift than a cruise gift card. I wonder if the retiree will use the $5,000 for a cruise.

On 5/17/2019 at 11:38 AM, Alexcleo said:

She shared with another employee that an Alaska cruise is something she would love to do, a "bucket list" item she said.

2 hours ago, whogo said:

While it was an extremely nice gesture and retirement gift whatever she ultimately decides to do is totally her decision.  Certainly the gift was given in the spirit and intent that she be able to go on a "bucket list" cruise but stuff happens and there may be other priorities.