SURPRISE LIVE! - MS Zaandam - Boston to Montreal

*Miss G*

7 hours ago, lij1972 said:

I'm on this cruise too!  I just got notification from my TA that the cabin I booked, an inside cabin (not a guarantee) has been upgraded to an oceanview.  It's not on a deck that I would have chosen (on the Dolphon deck) but I'll see how I like it.  

3 more sleeps!

Lisa

The Dolphin Deck is wonderful. We have spent a total of 12 weeks in Dolphin Deck cabins. I’m concerned because we just got an upgrade to the Main Deck on the Maasdam. 😜

Enjoy,

Denise 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Since I may be traveling by myself that second week, does anyone know if there are any shore excursions offered for the turn-around day in Montreal?  I may also investigate private tours as well.  

Have a lovely time.  Awaiting your posts.

When we did this as a Collector's Cruise (roundtrip Boston) last summer, the only excursions offered were with airport transfers.

2 hours ago, dfish said:

When we did this as a Collector's Cruise (roundtrip Boston) last summer, the only excursions offered were with airport transfers.

Okay, good to know.  The HOHO is sounding pretty good, as it may be the only option.  Thanks.

Following this topic closely as we are doing repo cruise in fall. Since we are talking hoho  tours, I have a question regarding BostonHOHO. Keep in mind, we are Canadian so add at least 30% to any US$. HALs price for Tour and then HOHO ticket is $59.95 US$. Boston HOHO website says its $42 US$ for just the HOHO. Our TA offers a HOHO tour for $66 CDN$. I can figure out exchange difference but my question for you all is, can we get off the ship, walk to a kiosk or something and book this then, on the spot? How far to the cruise ship is the pickup and drop Off?

sorry to hijack this topic but I figured more are following this than Canada/New England forum right now. Thanks

Just an fyi for people booked on later cruises. I got an upsell offer this morning from OV to a Balcony or HAL likes to say -Vista for $159usd or $199CAD pp.

I was tempted but I exercised control and didn't call because I decided I wanted to find out what those Lower Prom cabins were like for future reference.

2 minutes ago, lij1972 said:

Apparently with my upgrade, my TA was originally offered an upsell but decide to hold off.  I was the upgraded from an Interior J category to an outside D category at no cost.

Which date?  Mine is for the June 1st cruise the one that starts when Miss G gets off.

8 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

Which date?  Mine is for the June 1st cruise the one that starts when Miss G gets off.

Its for the upcoming cruise on Saturday.  I was notified yesterday by my TA and today by HAL.  I don't know when the upsell offer came in.

8 hours ago, Kate45 said:

Following this topic closely as we are doing repo cruise in fall. Since we are talking hoho  tours, I have a question regarding BostonHOHO. Keep in mind, we are Canadian so add at least 30% to any US$. HALs price for Tour and then HOHO ticket is $59.95 US$. Boston HOHO website says its $42 US$ for just the HOHO. Our TA offers a HOHO tour for $66 CDN$. I can figure out exchange difference but my question for you all is, can we get off the ship, walk to a kiosk or something and book this then, on the spot? How far to the cruise ship is the pickup and drop Off?

sorry to hijack this topic but I figured more are following this than Canada/New England forum right now. Thanks

That’s what we did in September. We walked off the ship, turned left when we exited the terminal, then kept going about two minutes until we got to the the kiosk and purchased the HOHO tickets right there.  They drop you back off at the terminal whenever you decide to return.  Easy peasey.

20 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

Just an fyi for people booked on later cruises. I got an upsell offer this morning from OV to a Balcony or HAL likes to say -Vista for $159usd or $199CAD pp.

I was tempted but I exercised control and didn't call because I decided I wanted to find out what those Lower Prom cabins were like for future reference.

I would have loved an upsell.  But I am happy in that I, like you, want to know what the OV cabins are like.

Thanks Miss G. Are you saying the HOHO picks up and drops off near the cruise ship? All the info  I have so far says you need to take a taxi to the Aquarium from the cruise port and then get on the HOHO there. Now I'm really confused

42 minutes ago, Kate45 said:

Thanks Miss G. Are you saying the HOHO picks up and drops off near the cruise ship? All the info  I have so far says you need to take a taxi to the Aquarium from the cruise port and then get on the HOHO there. Now I'm really confused

Yes, the HOHO bus picks up directly at the cruise terminal.  Exit the terminal and turn left.  You will see the kiosk at the end of the building.  I will see if I mentioned specifics in my September thread.

Sorry, there weren’t boarding specifics on the Boston HOHO but here is a reference to it in September’s trip:

On 9/15/2018 at 5:25 PM, *Miss G* said:

Captain Vaartjes has just made an announcement. We are still refueling so sailaway is now at 6:00 pm. Apparently there must be coordination with the airport because we are sailing directly in front of their landing strip. That must have been fairly exciting for them this morning because I saw squat through the fog. Oh sorry. Captain Vaartjes has just told us that they call them very low clouds. There are also very low clouds in Bar Harbor.

To continue...

I get my morning coffee in the Crows Nest. The Barista asks me if I am sure of my order because I didn’t get the same as yesterday. She’s good.

Yesterday and today I get the same questions from other passengers. “Where did you get your coffee?” They literally ask me that as I am standing beside the coffee bar. The visible presence of the new Explorations Cafe is literally abysmal. Today a man walked up to it and asked where they sell coffee.

We disembark and jump on the HOHO bus. I really like our driver but he only goes as far as Stop 1 where we have to get off and get on another bus. Bus driver # 2 is named Jules. She talks in a really fast monotone and puts people to sleep. When she is not boring us with the stories we can’t hear, she is admonishing us for things we haven’t done. Like getting off the bus; jaywalking; how we drive; why aren’t we getting off the bus?; jaywalking. I start calling them Jules’ Rules.

The architecture in this city is beautiful. There is a Freedom Festival going on. I can smell the pot. Coincidentally, we are now hungry. We finish the circuit and get off.

I had heard Quincy Market was the place to get lobster rolls. The crowds are horrendous and I decide that nothing is THAT good. We walk back to the harbor and stand in line at James Hook & Co. They have been in this location since 1925 so something’s keeping them in business. The lobster rolls are delicious. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture. My bad.

d5e6b2a8412abd114d3c381e135f4055.jpg

T-1 SLEEP!

Work done.  Hair and chiropractor done.  Calls made.  Last load of laundry in the dryer.  Now I will pack.  The car comes at 5:50 am :classic_ohmy: to take us to the airport.  

The reality is that my father has been undergoing painful cancer treatments and now has surprise surgery in the morning.  As you can imagine, I am somewhat stressed.  I am also upset that I am committed to this trip and will not be there.  But I will trust that my parents do not require my hovering, all will go well, and I can then de-stress and have a wonderful time.  Alas, reality does not go on vacation.

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

T-1 SLEEP!

Work done.  Hair and chiropractor done.  Calls made.  Last load of laundry in the dryer.  Now I will pack.  The car comes at 5:50 am :classic_ohmy: to take us to the airport.  

The reality is that my father has been undergoing painful cancer treatments and now has surprise surgery in the morning.  As you can imagine, I am somewhat stressed.  I am also upset that I am committed to this trip and will not be there.  But I will trust that my parents do not require my hovering, all will go well, and I can then de-stress and have a wonderful time.  Alas, reality does not go on vacation.

Good thoughts and warm wishes for your daddy.

• Like 2

Thank you fatcat04.  Sadly, everyone has a story or something they are going through.  It is life.

I’m almost finished packing!  I came downstairs to see if I’d forgotten anything and the couch called my name.  So I’m having a little rest.  My husband is upstairs packing so it’s not like I can finish up mine and crawl into bed.  

Luckily I noticed I’d forgotten to pack my rain shoe covers.  I saw we’re expecting rain and I didn’t want to pack my rain shoes.  I also didn’t want to walk around the ports with soggy feet and then have wet shoes for the next port.  I think these will do the trick!

6B704496-C2BF-40CE-BD01-8AC59C37BB28.jpeg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Thank you fatcat04.  Sadly, everyone has a story or something they are going through.  It is life.

I’m almost finished packing!  I came downstairs to see if I’d forgotten anything and the couch called my name.  So I’m having a little rest.  My husband is upstairs packing so it’s not like I can finish up mine and crawl into bed.  

Luckily I noticed I’d forgotten to pack my rain shoe covers.  I saw we’re expecting rain and I didn’t want to pack my rain shoes.  I also didn’t want to walk around the ports with soggy feet and then have wet shoes for the next port.  I think these will do the trick!

6B704496-C2BF-40CE-BD01-8AC59C37BB28.jpeg

Well those look like easy to pack rain shoe covers -I’ve never seen anything like it!  Great idea.  

Have a wonderful cruise and hoping the best for your father.  

4 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

Well those look like easy to pack rain shoe covers -I’ve never seen anything like it!  Great idea.  

Have a wonderful cruise and hoping the best for your father.  

Thanks CanadianBear!  They’re actually pretty nifty.  The fit snugly over the shoes so there’s no flopping around or danger of tripping.  They have a good tread so there’s no danger of slipping.  They fold flat and slip into a slide zip cover for travel.  I’m really happy with them!

I really need to get to bed.  Husband has finished packing and is now back at his computer trying to finish up work.  I still have a little bit left to do and 4:00 am comes early.  Yuck.

7 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Best of luck to your father in his surgery and a quick recovery.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

T-1 SLEEP!

I hope everything goes well for your father and you can relax. Buy him a great souvenir. 

Safe travels!

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1