Bad Weather? Rough Seas?

I'm no weather guru and was wondering everyone's opinion on this; what does the below information mean for those sailing on the 5/23 voyage of Anthem of the Seas to Bermuda and the Caribbean? Could we encounter rough seas on our way from Cape Liberty to Bermuda? Will the Captain sail around? The forecast for all islands (Bermuda, St. Maarten, San Juan, and Labadee) are calling for cloudy and rain! It's been a while since I've researched the forecasts for the Caribbean, but I'm hoping this is just typical? 

Screen Shot 2019-05-18 at 2.05.19 PM.png

You can have rough seas on the way to Bermuda, even without that forecast.  We had rough seas last month, and they had the doggie bags strapped to the rails on the stairwells at each deck.  Maybe 50% onboard were sea sick.

The captain did try to get around the storm, but seas were still rough.  Just come prepared, and if you need meds, start taking a day before you board.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

You can have rough seas on the way to Bermuda, even without that forecast.  We had rough seas last month, and they had the doggie bags strapped to the rails on the stairwells at each deck.  Maybe 50% onboard were sea sick.

The captain did try to get around the storm, but seas were still rough.  Just come prepared, and if you need meds, start taking a day before you board.

Thanks for your insight. We can handle rough seas, I guess we're more concerned with having sun and not clouds, wind, and rain. I know, I'm fighting a battle I have no control over. 

Edited by carnival03

Been threw worse, many times. Use to sail only during Peak Hurricane Season. Once sailed when there was 4 named storms/Hurricanes in area. Was fun to us. They will do best steer around or another direction, if gets real bad change ports. Can happen any time of year. 

47 minutes ago, carnival03 said:

Thanks for your insight. We can handle rough seas, I guess we're more concerned with having sun and not clouds, wind, and rain. I know, I'm fighting a battle I have no control over. 

Just think about the FCC you will be getting!👍

In our experience the way to Bermuda is usually "rough" no matter the weather.  We have also left two other cruises to the Bahamas from east coast ports, NY and Baltimore.   Cruises in the Atlantic are rougher with worse weather to and from your destination in our experience...  Bermuda is worth it though... But the hurricane forecast really wont tell you anything.  There's storms all over. We have done 8 total cruises and there were rainy days and rough seas on each and every one of them.  And some where they were handing out barf bags, and had days of rain in general with no storms in the forecast..

Waters around Bermuda are notoriously rough , only time I ever got seasick was on a Bermuda cruise but ship was about a tenth of the size of anthem , and that was 40 years ago and 69 cruises ago.

Do not look at weather reports.  I have worried in vain over forecasts that never materialize.  It is what it is.  If the Captain can sail around the storm they will.  If not, then you will now have a sea story to share regarding bad weather, barf bags and how few people showed up for dinner in the MDR.  Both of our cruises from NYC and Boston to Bermuda were supposed to encounter rainy stormy weather and neither did.   Both cruises had delightful weather and only encountered rain on the last day on our return to the US. I repeat...do.not.check.the weather.  Have a great time in Bermuda.  We rented Twizzys and had a ball!  

• Like 1

Weather forecasters can't predict where a storm will track tomorrow, and you're worried about a sailing 5 days from now?

Captains have limited course flexibility between NJ and Bermuda.  After that they should be able to steer around storms.  Seas may be rough those first two days.  Bring some bonine, green apples and ginger and you'll be fine.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone. I tweeted James Van Fleet and he says that he does not see cause for concern. However, I think we can all agree, your mind goes in a million different directions when this is forecasted just before your vacation.